Porsche electric sport sound YES/NO?

Is electric sport sound a worthy option?

• Total voters

Andy0565

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IPace
Country flag
The sound is omitted from a separate speaker on the underside of the car and is far louder outside the car than it is inside.

I switch it on when I’m in urban areas as it’s helpful to warn others of your presence when travelling at 30 mph.

I also switch it on when I’m on backcountry lanes. The sound, along with the stereo turned up enhances my enjoyment of driving the Taycan around bendy roads as we accelerate and break.

When travelling on A roads and Motorways (which I avoid if at all possible) I switch it off. The drone quickly becomes annoying.

The key enjoyment comes when you’re varying your speed.
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Another opinion here… I’ve owned 2 different CT4s over the past 9 months. The first one had electric sport sound and my current one (which I custom ordered 13 months ago) does not. I wish my current one had ESS. It definitely made spirited driving sessions more fun for me.

GtechRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
only got it as advised it would be good for resale value. turned it on about 3 times in 11k miles.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Another opinion here… I’ve owned 2 different CT4s over the past 9 months. The first one had electric sport sound and my current one (which I custom ordered 13 months ago) does not. I wish my current one had ESS. It definitely made spirited driving sessions more fun for me.
Yes, it’s a joy.
Joyride:rock:
And it’s good that could be switched off.
I’m using it when i approach to my valley to warn all kind of animals, especially during the night.
Great safety combo with thermal vision.

Last edited:

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The sound is omitted from a separate speaker on the underside of the car and is far louder outside the car than it is inside.

I switch it on when I’m in urban areas as it’s helpful to warn others of your presence when travelling at 30 mph.

I also switch it on when I’m on backcountry lanes. The sound, along with the stereo turned up enhances my enjoyment of driving the Taycan around bendy roads as we accelerate and break.

When travelling on A roads and Motorways (which I avoid if at all possible) I switch it off. The drone quickly becomes annoying.

The key enjoyment comes when you’re varying your speed.
Well said. I can imagine most of my enjoyment of this option will come from varying my speed around town.

And I really like that it sounds like a Star Wars pod racer! #geek

Andy0565

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IPace
Country flag
I have it and love it.. It's on my 'diamond' button on the steering wheel. Should be standard and come on automatically below 30mph IMHO.
Yep - my steering wheel diamond button is devoted to the sound or speed too!

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
I was skeptical, but I like the ESS when I'm driving through twisty roads. Normal driving, best to have it off, but the sound helps cover some of the auditory feedback you get from driving an ICE vehicle when it comes to more spirited driving. Also, it does sound cool from the outside, even if it a bit of gimmick. Pedestrian safety!

Reactions: B61

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
2 things I do every time before I put my car in drive: turn on sport sound, and sport mode.

I thought I'd like ESS, but I actually cannot drive without it.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Has anyone done any meaningful test on sports sound being on vs off? For example, standing on sidewalk with another driver driving the car slow and fast on the road, which is approx 10-20 feet away. Is the car actually noticeably louder as it passes by? If so, by how much (with a db meter?).

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
When I come home, I take a street parallel to my home before rounding the block to my street. This requires me to pass the house behind my house. With Sport Sound on, my wife can hear my car (faintly but unmistakably); she cannot if I don't. Unfortunately, I don't have a db meter.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
When I come home, I take a street parallel to my home before rounding the block to my street. This requires me to pass the house behind my house. With Sport Sound on, my wife can hear my car (faintly but unmistakably); she cannot if I don't. Unfortunately, I don't have a db meter.
So in other words, if you want to sneak up on your wife, remember to turn the sports sound off.

Gotcha 👍🏻

😁
Sponsored