Porsche Intelligent Range Manager - Is it worth it?

Hockey29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is this worth getting, especially since Function on Demand is selling this feature for 15% off. Want to know if I need it or am I just attracted by the discount.

I have a ’22 4S, live in Los Angeles and usually only drive my car in-town. I have not taken it on a road trip, nor plan to at this time. I always drive the car in Normal or Sport Individual mode. I’m never worried about range anxiety and don’t ever see a need to drive in Range mode.

With that said, is the traffic better with the PIRM, if I only use Normal or Sport Individual mode? Again, I don’t worry about range, but I want to make sure that I’m getting the best traffic updates when I use the Nav in the car, which I use frequently. Even out for 20 minutes, I like knowing the “best” route with the least amount of traffic. I don’t use CarPlay at all (or want to use CarPlay) and use the Porsche PCM for all things nav, radio, phone, etc. That’s my preference.

Would you recommend it? Any good benefits that aren’t listed?

Thanks to all in advance.
Sponsored

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
No. All it does is give you an annoying popup telling you you could save some time by driving in range mode and making fewer charging stops. I did the trial and found it to be so useless and annoying I turned it off even before the trial was over.

There's absolutely no point to PIRM if you're not planning routes that need charging.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it's cheap and does an ok job of suggesting a route and the sorts of charging stops you'll need

with out it you're left to do your own route planning and charge stop planning - which you can do anyways with ABRP - but it's another source of EV trip planning data letting you make an informed decision about the sort of logistics you're in for for any given destination.

do you need it? NO.
it's 100% useful? NO.
it is better than nothing? YES.
will it give you an idea of the sorts of charging you'll need to do on route? YES.
should you follow it chapter/verse and not question it's recommendation? NO.
is there other apps that will do the same thing? YES.
are they integrated into the PCM NAV? NO.
is it 0.2% of the total cost of your Taycan? YES.

I see no reason to leave it off - but if $300 harsh's your buzz then by all means you can do with out it.

it's not great, but it's not going to get worse with software updates and it's a place to start if you are driving the car along routes where you'll need to stop and charge…

for the cost I'm not sure what you're optimizing for if you're trying to shave $300 on a $150,000 vehicle - but it's not my money.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
It's worth remembering that PIRM is included for free as standard in so many markets (all in Europe ??) – that many on this forum have not had to make this purchase decision.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
I like the way it incorporates battery charge into navigation. No complaints and would buy it again. Given the scarcity of charging in the US I think it is helpful. This is for long trips of course…

Reactions: B61

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
it's cheap and does an ok job of suggesting a route and the sorts of charging stops you'll need

with out it you're left to do your own route planning and charge stop planning - which you can do anyways with ABRP - but it's another source of EV trip planning data letting you make an informed decision about the sort of logistics you're in for for any given destination.
I included PIRM as an option, so I am not certain what it adds vs. not optioning it.

But I got the idea from others in here that much of what you describe your post is part of the "Porsche Charging Planner" which comes as standard. And that once the included Porsche Charging Planner shows you a route with suggested charging stops and times, PIRM is the software which generates the pop-up which displays faster route alternatives in range mode.

Is it not true that without PIRM, the standard Taycen nav system would still include suggested charging stops when it generates a route (i.e. the Porsche Charging Planner)?
Edited on Dec. 15, 2022: Yes, standard Porsche charging planner suggests charging stops.
See this article describing charging planner and PIRM.

I value the range mode faster route alternatives suggested by the pop-up because they can help me in route planning. The extra cost for PIRM is worth it to me.

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is this worth getting, especially since Function on Demand is selling this feature for 15% off. Want to know if I need it or am I just attracted by the discount.
With that said, is the traffic better with the PIRM, if I only use Normal or Sport Individual mode? Again, I don’t worry about range, but I want to make sure that I’m getting the best traffic updates when I use the Nav in the car, which I use frequently. Even out for 20 minutes, I like knowing the “best” route with the least amount of traffic. I don’t use CarPlay at all (or want to use CarPlay) and use the Porsche PCM for all things nav, radio, phone, etc. That’s my preference.
Online traffic conditions is included as standard Taycan feature.
Porsche Taycan Porsche Intelligent Range Manager - Is it worth it? 1663895115887

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
No, not worth it.

And if you skip it you can try it with Functions on Demand after the fact to confirm it to yourself.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It's worth remembering that PIRM is included for free as standard in so many markets (all in Europe ??) – that many on this forum have not had to make this purchase decision.
Indeed.

One of those cheap options which is a no brainer where not fitted as standard.

Not sure if you can try before you buy?

Sounds like most of your use cases wouldn't take advantage of it however.

Since the most recent software update the feature has been enhanced but in my case there is now no option to enable / disable PIRM as the menu item has disappeared (now permanently on).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I cannot seem to find the video review, but I do remember seeing a reviewer doing a road trip in a Taycan and being very dissatisfied that the PIRM could not be disabled. IIRC the issue was that PIRM automatically changes the car's settings to help extend range, which cannot be overridden unless you stop using navigation. When I travel long distances, I still want to have fun in the car, so I will actually plan driving faster and therefore add charging stops as needed and/or charge to higher SoC during a stop. Driving in range mode just seems boring - why buy a Taycan if you plan to drive it like a hearse? ;) So I skipped PIRM from my build on purpose, perhaps will try it on-demand next year when I plan to do a coast to coast road-trip, but only if it can be disabled in case I don't want it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I cannot seem to find the video review, but I do remember seeing a reviewer doing a road trip in a Taycan and being very dissatisfied that the PIRM could not be disabled. IIRC the issue was that PIRM automatically changes the car's settings to help extend range, which cannot be overridden unless you stop using navigation. When I travel long distances, I still want to have fun in the car, so I will actually plan driving faster and therefore add charging stops as needed and/or charge to higher SoC during a stop. Driving in range mode just seems boring - why buy a Taycan if you plan to drive it like a hearse? ;) So I skipped PIRM from my build on purpose, perhaps will try it on-demand next year when I plan to do a coast to coast road-trip, but only if it can be disabled in case I don't want it.
It can be overridden but some of us have lost that ability since the recent uPdate (vr19...) has been applied. The 'Allow...' is missing from my PCM (was there previously):

Porsche Taycan Porsche Intelligent Range Manager - Is it worth it? 1663926878704

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
Will the car precondition the battery for optimal charging without the PIRM?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My new car came from the factory with PIRM and I wish i could turn it off.
Sponsored