Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Is the Porsche IPO a good idea for the brand in the long term?

IMO the Ferrari IPO diluted the brand. 12 years of 458 variants, every other week with special editions, now an SUV
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Is the Porsche IPO a good idea for the brand in the long term?

IMO the Ferrari IPO diluted the brand. 12 years of 458 variants, every other week with special editions, now an SUV
what do you think that an IPO is?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It breaks out Porsche from the VW group which means Porsche will need to show growth in more ways.
Some private equity mob tried to buy Lambo from VW recently and got told to poke it. I imagine that after the prior year shenanigans when Porsche attempted to take over VW (2012) which resulted in VW acquiring Porsche will end with the same response if there is a desire to float off the 'crown jewels'.

IPO hasn't happened with Seat, Bentley, Audi, Skoda, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Ducati, MAN or Scania to date so hard to see why they'd experiment with Porsche first.

On some days I wish Porsche had stayed independent and curtailed the breadth of models if only to keep them as exclusive as they used to be. On other days I think, "don't be so selfish" and let others enjoy the class act that it is.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On some days I wish Porsche had stayed independent and curtailed the breadth of models if only to keep them as exclusive as they used to be. On other days I think, "don't be so selfish" and let others enjoy the class act that it is.
I agree with this. The good part of being under VW was the sharing of R&D which would allow Porsche to focus on being exclusive and higher margin, cash cows.

I'm certain exclusive manufaktur will be even more prominent for Porsche now, but new models and higher volume will be the target. Expect tons of Special edition, limited cars

I see them positioning themselves as an EV brand more for the valuation. I hope that doesn't backfire when market gets back to reality

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Maybe things have changed but doesn’t Porsche SE (which is controlled by the Porsche family) have majority voting control of Volkswagen AG? I know it owns only about a 1/3 of the equity in Volkswagen AG but I though it has supervoting shares that give it majority voting control over the whole Volkswagen Group.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Maybe things have changed but doesn’t Porsche SE (which is controlled by the Porsche family) have majority voting control of Volkswagen AG? I know it owns only about a 1/3 of the equity in Volkswagen AG but I though it has supervoting shares that give it majority voting control over the whole Volkswagen Group.
I believe you are right...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Indeed (50.7% of VW AG) however that came with the agreement for VW AG Management to take management positions in Porsche SE deliberately so that VW could remain in control and to own Porsche AG. Complicated arrangement but I think VW still rules the roost on what goes down.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Indeed (50.7% of VW AG) however that came with the agreement for VW AG Management to take management positions in Porsche SE deliberately so that VW could remain in control and to own Porsche AG. Complicated arrangement but I think VW still rules the roost on what goes down.
If this is the case, do you think it's better if Porsche goes private instead?

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
This debate comes up annually with Ducati.
Not going to happen IMO.
One reason it that Porsche EV can offset other less sustainable brands (Lambo) in the portfolio.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
If this is the case, do you think it's better if Porsche goes private instead?
That's kind of what could happen if the FT article* /my understanding of it is correct . The Porsche-Piech family buy 50% of the ordinary shares (i.e. those with voting rights) that will be floated, while VW (whose biggest shareholder is the same family) keeps the rest. Effectively gives control of Porsche-Piech to the family.
FT doesn't seem to like it. Still if you buy some ordinary shares, you'll at least be able to go to the AGM and have a grumble about PCMs and 12 volt batteries!

*FT's article is speculation as to one scenario...
Sponsored