OP
OP

CroquetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
(a) is the mounting bracket included in the PMC+ standard package?

(b) Is the standard UK 32A 230V 3-pin socket (see photos) the right configuration?

Grateful for confirmation/views. My aim is to home (garage) charge at 7.4kW

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The mounts shown in the device manual (do a search for "porsche mobile charger plus installation" for a copy see pages 20 - 22) came with mine.
Can't answer question about UK plug because I am in USA.

Edited: Although you did not ask about this. In US the electrical receptacle which fits the plug for EVSE comes from different suppliers starting at $5 in building supply stores. Recommendations are to use a "high quality" receptacle for this use - one here which costs $97, not $5. Thought is that you do not want to scrimp on quality of receptacle you have installed at home.

Last edited:
OP
OP

CroquetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The mounts shown in the device manual (do a search for "porsche mobile charger plus installation" for a copy see pages 20 - 22) came with mine.
Can't answer question about UK plug because I am in USA.

Edited: Although you did not ask about this. In US the electrical receptacle which fits the plug for EVSE comes from different suppliers starting at $5 in building supply stores. Recommendations are to use a "high quality" receptacle for this use - one here which costs $97, not $5. Thought is that you do not want to scrimp on quality of receptacle you have installed at home.
Belated thanks, Tooney, most helpful!

offplan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S , bicycle , my own feet
Country flag
I have a similar question about the PMC+: I receive my car in a week and want to get the wiring done in my home.
What is the maximum kW that the new ones will charge. All the documentation that I've found online says 9.2kW with 1 phase, while the press release says 11kW
Can this charger accept 3 Phase (400v) and at what amps to do 11kW?

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Does anyone in the UK know if the PMC Plus built in RCD protection is double pole, i.e. it disconnects both live and neutral if the RCD is tripped as required by the 18th edition regs?
I haven't been able to find a UK version of the spec or installation instructions online.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Guys get a qualified electrician and do this properly - no need to guess at this.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have a similar question about the PMC+: I receive my car in a week and want to get the wiring done in my home.
What is the maximum kW that the new ones will charge. All the documentation that I've found online says 9.2kW with 1 phase, while the press release says 11kW
Two different versions. The standard delivered European Mobile charger plus is 400 volt, 3 fase, 16 A, 11 kw. It needs an industrial 3 fase Socket to charge 11kw (the plug is included). With the delivered Schuko household plug it will only deliver 2,3 Kw.
The US one is 9.2 Kw and is 40A single fase.

The European optional PMC Connect is 22 kw (32A).

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+) C7E24B1B-AD7D-49C9-841E-4F0924B488B8

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+) 34634700-E717-4289-82D9-90B550C2441D

Last edited:

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Guys get a qualified electrician and do this properly - no need to guess at this.
Electrician needs to know if CU needs 2 pole RCBOs. If EVSE has in built RCD protection that complies with IET 18th edition then CU only needs single pole RCBO Type A B curve..... I'm not guessing just trying to find spec for UK version of PMC + for EV installer.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Electrician needs to know if CU needs 2 pole RCBOs. If EVSE has in built RCD protection that complies with IET 18th edition then CU only needs single pole RCBO Type A B curve..... I'm not guessing just trying to find spec for UK version of PMC + for EV installer.
This is the European one PMCP11A

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+) 0AD20839-28C8-41CC-942D-6801BF0790EE

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
This is the European one PMCP11A

0AD20839-28C8-41CC-942D-6801BF0790EE.png
Many thanks, in the UK the regulations now require that THE RCD disconnects both live and neutral and none of the manuals I have found tell me. Not a big issue we can install double pole RCBOs in the consumer unit, but I suspect the UK PMC+ will already have them and legally it has to comply with the smart charging code from June this year.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Standard AC onboard charger is a max of 11kW.

To achieve this you will need a 3 phase supply.

Standard single phase supply with a dedicated 32A fused supply from your main board will deliver 7.4kW max - ample for overnight home charging.

Pav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Country flag
Many thanks, in the UK the regulations now require that THE RCD disconnects both live and neutral and none of the manuals I have found tell me. Not a big issue we can install double pole RCBOs in the consumer unit, but I suspect the UK PMC+ will already have them and legally it has to comply with the smart charging code from June this year.
RCD in the mobile chargers disconnects all poles (1 or 3 live depending on 1ph or 3ph charger), also the neutral even though I think the regs (even amendment 2) still state only that all LIVE connectors need to be disconnected during a fault - but I'm not a sparky!

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
RCD in the mobile chargers disconnects all poles (1 or 3 live depending on 1ph or 3ph charger), also the neutral even though I think the regs (even amendment 2) still state only that all LIVE connectors need to be disconnected during a fault - but I'm not a sparky!
Brilliant that is exact;y the information I was looking for.

The definition of disconnectiong all LIVE connectors in the Regs includes neutral. 722.531.2.101 Every charging point shall be protected individually by an RCD having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1. The RCD shall disconnect all live conductors, including the neutral.

Reactions: Pav

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
FWIW,

Because other family EVs or hybrids may us my 32A commando at some point in near future - and I am not sure of their spec ......

I got installed - a separate 32A metal clad Open-PEN RCBO fault correction device - specifically suitable for EVs - close to the commando socket (was only £120 ish) -

and a normal 2 way 32A consumer unit where the circuit links with the meter tails in my porch (around £30) - i.e. the supply is not linked to house consumer unit but picks up the supply between that and the meter.

Also the cable is slightly oversized for 32A @ 10mm2 - differential cost is minimal

total cost for installation - including running cables inside and outside <£700

main cost is labour - took 6 hours including some awkward bends near pipework

the kit is relatively lo-cost - so why skimp?

cheers
Sponsored