DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Has anyone successfully connected a PLC (powerline network adapter) to their charger?

I have a very old netgear that didn't work, but before I put money into a new one I'd like to find out which one works.
Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I can make your life easier if you’d like to buy my Mobile Charger Connect. :like:

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I have it connected to the Home Energy Manager through PLC which is in turn connected to my home network with an Ethernet connection. The PMCC is also connected thru WiFi to said network.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
anyone have a link to a PLC WiFi or Ethernet adapter?

vestago

First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Hmm... I am trying this with the same device but it didn' work. You answers will be appreciated a lot.

Are you using 220V power cable at MobileCharger Plus and TPLink PLC is on 110V?

In my understanding, I don't need any secure connections between two PLCs(TP Link) and I need just one PLC plugged to wallet and a router. And, then Mobile Charger Plus should show up in DHCP client list?

I am available to make connections between two TPLink PLC so the device seems to work.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Need to be on the same electric mains ring (if you have more than one) otherwise the two devices won't communicate.

vestago

First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Need to be on the same electric mains ring (if you have more than one) otherwise the two devices won't communicate.
Thank you for the reply. Sorry that I don't get what the "ring" mean. Obviously, they(220v, 110v) cannot be from a circuit breaker.

Could you elaborate little more?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thank you for the reply. Sorry that I don't get what the "ring" mean. Obviously, they(220v, 110v) cannot be from a circuit breaker.

Could you elaborate little more?
PLC adapters use the existing electrical wiring in your home to transmit data between each other.

If your home has more than one circuit (ring) then you need to ensure both PLC adapters are on the same one otherwise they won't find each other and communicate.

Home in UK generally have 2 - upstairs and downstairs.

Voltage is not relevant - adapters sold in your region will be rated for the correct voltage.

vestago

First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
PLC adapters use the existing electrical wiring in your home to transmit data between each other.

If your home has more than one circuit (ring) then you need to ensure both PLC adapters are on the same one otherwise they won't find each other and communicate.

Home in UK generally have 2 - upstairs and downstairs.

Voltage is not relevant - adapters sold in your region will be rated for the correct voltage.
Thanks for the reply. I tried with both are in same wall power outlet but it doesn't work.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Also check your network address range isn't 10.x.x.x as I think the PMCC doesn't like / has it reserved. 192.168.x.x should be fine.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
You only plug in one - the charger itself is the other end.
Did you have to pair it somehow? Also, does the Taycan car also show up on the wired ethernet network together with the charger (part of plug-and-charge ISO 18818-2)?

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
The Porsche Mobile Charger Plus does not support a ISO15118 connection to the EV. PLC is only available for connecting it to the local network.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Did you have to pair it somehow? Also, does the Taycan car also show up on the wired ethernet network together with the charger (part of plug-and-charge ISO 18818-2)?
Yes, I used the pairing button on the receiving end after powering up the charger.

Note: the charger is only "online" when plugged into the car, so make sure that is done also.

It's not super useful but I do like pulling the charge values off and putting them into a spreadsheet to see what I am spending on "fuel."

Last month was < $25 :)

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus with PLC Adapter Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 6.27.29 PM
Sponsored