Porsche Mobile Charger Plus with PLC Adapter

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Yes, I used the pairing button on the receiving end after powering up the charger.

Note: the charger is only "online" when plugged into the car, so make sure that is done also.

It's not super useful but I do like pulling the charge values off and putting them into a spreadsheet to see what I am spending on "fuel."

Last month was < $25 :)

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 6.27.29 PM.png
I'm curious. Are you sure you are in fact connecting to the charger rather than the car? The plug-and-charge standard runs on TCP/TP/Ethernet/Power-Lines. Do you by any chance have any non-Porsche charger you could try to see if you can still talk via same interface?

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm curious. Are you sure you are in fact connecting to the charger rather than the car? The plug-and-charge standard runs on TCP/TP/Ethernet/Power-Lines. Do you by any chance have any non-Porsche charger you could try to see if you can still talk via same interface?
I am dead certain I am connecting to the charger.
  • The URL (device specific) is https://mobilechargerplus-0005872.local
  • The login page reflects Porsche Mobile Charger Plus
  • The dashboard shows "vehicle connected" and when charging shows consumption (a higher level at the charger than the car shows, which is expected due to loss.)
    Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus with PLC Adapter Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 9.04.17 PM
    Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus with PLC Adapter Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 9.05.57 PM
    Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus with PLC Adapter Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 9.07.46 PM

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am dead certain I am connecting to the charger.
Thanks.

• The dashboard shows "vehicle connected" and when charging shows consumption (a higher level at the charger than the car shows, which is expected due to loss.
Does it ever show "vehicle disconnected", or does the charger go offline when vehicle disconnect and therefore you will never see "vehicle disconnected"?

Also, besides the charger, is the vehicle on another IP perhaps? You'd have to scan the subnet to see if any other IP responds to ARP requests.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Also, besides the charger, is the vehicle on another IP perhaps? You'd have to scan the subnet to see if any other IP responds to ARP requests.
It’s worth noting that the PMC+ manual talks about accessing its webpage via PLC and comes with a letter with access information while there is no such information or letter for the car.

Besides, you can access the car via the connect app.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Maybe you missed my response: The Porsche Mobile Charger Plus does NOT support a PLC connection to the car. Hence it does NOT support plug&charge and does not support talking with the car via TCP/IP over PowerLine.

Only the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect provides support for this.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Maybe you missed my response: The Porsche Mobile Charger Plus does NOT support a PLC connection to the car. Hence it does NOT support plug&charge and does not support talking with the car via TCP/IP over PowerLine.

I could be wrong, but I think you’re referring to some communication between the EVSE and the car while @whitex was imagining a direct communication to the car with the EVSE just being a pass through (hence the reference to a non-Porsche EVSE).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I do get this. However your computer does talk TCP/IP, therefore if you connect a PLC adapter to your PC, should you be able to talk directly to the car (bypassing the charger completely)? If the PLCC can talk to the car via powerlines, why can't your PC do that? I doubt there is any intentional filtering in L2 chargers to prevent Ethernet over Powerlines to pass through the relays.

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
I just draw, what I understand the communication path would be.
The question is what communication is between the EVSE and In-car charger. Does it support PLC or is it another type og signaling?

PC <-> PLC Adapter <-> socket <-> power line <-> socket <-> EVSE <-> In-car charger

PLC communication (IP) = PLC Adapter <-> socket <-> power line <-> Socket <-> EVSE
Uknown communication = EVSE <-> In-car charger

I found this, which may explain the communication between EVSE and the in-car charger:
Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus with PLC Adapter Skjermbilde 2021-09-09 kl. 11.45.47

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
No, this is not possible.

Let me try a basic example:
- Two make 2 PLC adapters to talk to each other, you have to pair them (however you do that) by having direct access to each adapter
- Now you add a 3rd PLC adapter to the same wire, it won't just talk to them, you have to pair that to the existing connection of the other 2 PLC adapters. Again having direct access to it.
- Now let's take the PLC Adapter <-> EVSE PLC <> EV PLC
- You only have direct access to your PLC Adapter and the EVSE PLC, but NOT to the EVs PLC.
- You can NOT make it join your existing connection
- You also can NOT use the EVSE to make the EV PLC make it join, as it is a different device and doesn't allow such an authorization to be delegated

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Actually, have you checked the manual - PLC is supported

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus with PLC Adapter 1631188114478

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus with PLC Adapter 1631187989651

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus with PLC Adapter 1631188036383

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus with PLC Adapter 1631188065516

Manual is too big to upload (25Mb).

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Actually, have you checked the manual - PLC is supported

1631188114478.png

1631187989651.png

1631188036383.png

1631188065516.png

Manual is too big to upload (25Mb).
As I said, PLC is possible to connect to your home network, but NOT to the EV.

You can easily check this also by connecting the PMC+ to your home network, then logging in as an Tech User and navigate to the connections menu. The PMCC has a menu item called "PLC connection to the vehicle" and the PMC+ does not. Hence PLC is only available to connect to your home network but not to the EV to use Plug & Charger or any other ISO15118 based feature.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As I said, PLC is possible to connect to your home network, but NOT to the EV.

You can easily check this also by connecting the PMC+ to your home network, then logging in as an Tech User and navigate to the connections menu. The PMCC has a menu item called "PLC connection to the vehicle" and the PMC+ does not. Hence PLC is only available to connect to your home network but not to the EV to use Plug & Charger or any other ISO15118 based feature.
Sorry - yes my mistake - PLC only to your local home network.

I have the PMCC and have a black belt in its use ;)

BriggTrim

First Name
Brigg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang
Country flag
Hi....I am searching for home electric vehicle charging hardware and don't actually have a clue where to begin? Relax, you're in good company. There are a great deal of EV home charging stations accessible today and the vast majority don't actually have the foggiest idea what provisions to search for as they continued looking for the best home charging arrangement.

Before we start, we need to explain some phrasing. Electric vehicle supply gear, or "EVSE," is really the legitimate term for what many call "EV chargers" or "EV charging stations." The explanation "charging station" isn't the appropriate term is on the grounds that the genuine charging hardware is incorporated into the vehicle, and the EVSE truly gives a protected stock of power to the vehicle.

Nonetheless, we've chosen to utilize the expression "charging station" or "charger" here on the grounds that that is the thing that the vast majority perceive the hardware as. Indeed, even the organizations that sell EVSE allude to them as "chargers" or "charging stations" on their sites.

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
@DerekS, what kind of powerline adapter are you using? I tried with a 6-7 yrs old D-Link with no luck☹

Edit 11. sep 13:00 CET: found a TPLink adapter that worked?

Last edited:

vestago

First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Ah, I should have plugged into car. Thank you for the info. I will try. I almost contacted porsche dealer.
Sponsored