Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Weird, for me it was an extra cost option, so I declined it and bought a 3rd party one and the car came with it anyway lol
Are you sure that it’s not the “Connect” instead of the “Plus” you’re thinking of as an extra charge?
Sponsored

Reactions: dan

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does the charger work with a 30 amp circuit, but just needs a different cable?

Can't you swap out the receptacle for a 14-50 and just run it on a 30a fuse? (e.g. isn't the wiring the same and the difference is the gauge of the wiring)?
I think, kind of. I haven’t looked into it too closely, but I think the PMC+ can only switch between 40A and 20A...so, I think I’ll be limited to 20A on the 30A circuit, instead of the potential 24A I could run.

Edit: I did confirm that I can swap out different supply cable, I just don’t know if that alone affects the charger’s max current. I would assume so. But I think it’s also selectable between the two I listed.

Happy to be corrected.

I don’t know about a 50A receptacle on a 30A circuit. I would assume you can’t do that, but I don’t know for sure. I wouldn’t want to do it in any case. I would normally expect receptacles to be sized appropriately for the circuit they are on.

Edit 2: @Reg NEC Table 210.21(B)(3) says no. 30 amp circuit needs a 30 amp receptacle. I figured they would be the case but wanted to look it up to be sure.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s the “Connect”. It’s a different charger than the “Plus” you received. To be clear, there are two Porsche chargers.

The “Plus” is in your build that you linked. You have to scroll down to standard equipment and look through that.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Weird, for me it was an extra cost option, so I declined it and bought a 3rd party one and the car came with it anyway lol
Keep the Mustart in your (under)trunk as a travel/emergency charger and mount the Porsche charger permanently in your garage...

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Keep the Mustart in your (under)trunk as a travel/emergency charger and mount the Porsche charger permanently in your garage...
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I spent so long installing the Mustart too.. like I had to install wood panels in the garage to attach it to, wire organizers, etc.. lol

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
From what I understand, there isn't a "standard" charger anymore. Ie: if you go to a build a car, it's an extra option to add it.
No, I'm certain it is standard - check the standard spec sheet. You have to get a charger and that will be the least cost / less powerful one.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, I'm certain it is standard - check the standard spec sheet. You have to get a charger and that will be the least cost / less powerful one.
In the states, they’re the same max capacity. 9.6kW. The Connect just has more features.

BuckStrom

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
On my 2021 4S, the Charger connect was listed as a $1120.00 option plus $470.00 for a Porsche charging dock. A 25 foot charging cable was listed at $0.00. I asked the dealer if I could delete the charger and dock and they said "no, it come with the car. I had a previous version of the Porsche charger for my Panamera S E-Hybrid. A visit from an electrician revealed, However the Panamera charger was only 20Amps and the new charger is 40Amps. The installation required heavier wiring from the circuit breaker box to a new receptacle and new conduit. The new charger, as expected charges about twice as fast as the Panamera charger....If one adds the $750.00 electrician bill, I am out $2340 for the pleasure of charger twice as fast. The 25 foot cable is nice, however.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
PSA. When you unpack the charger, there is a small Porsche envelop on the plastic wrap for the charger. In there, there is the password for the web-app access to the device. You don't want to lose that. NOTE. That is a different PW than the one you can optionally set on your device.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On my 2021 4S, the Charger connect was listed as a $1120.00 option plus $470.00 for a Porsche charging dock. A 25 foot charging cable was listed at $0.00. I asked the dealer if I could delete the charger and dock and they said "no, it come with the car. I had a previous version of the Porsche charger for my Panamera S E-Hybrid. A visit from an electrician revealed, However the Panamera charger was only 20Amps and the new charger is 40Amps. The installation required heavier wiring from the circuit breaker box to a new receptacle and new conduit. The new charger, as expected charges about twice as fast as the Panamera charger....If one adds the $750.00 electrician bill, I am out $2340 for the pleasure of charger twice as fast. The 25 foot cable is nice, however.
That kind of sucks that the dealer made you get the charger and dock. I’m not sure when the Plus was available and became the standard, but the dock really shouldn’t have been required.

The Connect has other supply cables and current limit options so it’s unlikely you absolutely had to change anything at home from the old charger. But it was still a good idea to do so to get the higher power charging.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
PSA. When you unpack the charger, there is a small Porsche envelop on the plastic wrap for the charger. In there, there is the password for the web-app access to the device. You don't want to lose that. NOTE. That is a different PW than the one you can optionally set on your device.
that’s onlly for the Porsche Mobile charge connect - not the Porsche Mobile Charge+

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Same thing happened to me. I specifically did not order it due to price. Got my car, opened the bag of the charger and it's the PMCC. My car got delayed for 2.5 weeks so I take this as compensation ?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that’s onlly for the Porsche Mobile charge connect - not the Porsche Mobile Charge+
Actually... from page 15 in the Plus manual...

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus 08C7D925-0714-4CCA-AC76-B14F85BCBC5E
Sponsored