W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Looks like the 'advice' was a little off. I can think of no current manufacture who wouldn't bundle a basic charging setup with their car. The standard fixtures and fittings are on a separate link from the Configurator where the basics are set out quite clearly.

That said, your Dealership should have made you aware of what is a fundamental component of the car.

Pretty sure that all Porsche pre-cursors to the Taycan came with chargers - i.e. all e-Hybrids - so this can't be attributable to something that is 'new'.

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Looks like the 'advice' was a little off. I can think of no current manufacture who wouldn't bundle a basic charging setup with their car. The standard fixtures and fittings are on a separate link from the Configurator where the basics are set out quite clearly.

That said, your Dealership should have made you aware of what is a fundamental component of the car.

Pretty sure that all Porsche pre-cursors to the Taycan came with chargers - i.e. all e-Hybrids - so this can't be attributable to something that is 'new'.
It was a weird period where even Porsche NA wasn't sure what was going on as they were switching the other charger from being mandatory and free, to mandatory and paid, to optional. It all turned out okay and now I have an extra charger lol, not the worst thing in the world.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
don't you want to have a charger with you when you travel? they include a charger with the Etron for example, all you need is a 110 outlet (if you have forever) or a dryer type outlet and you can charge. I have seen some destination 'chargers' that are only an outlet, you have to provide some type of charger unit yourself.
are you aware that off of a 110 outlet you might get 4 miles of range an hour from it? for most people that is painfully slow. bringing a charger while traveling is mostly unnecessary because there are so many places to charge. www.plugshare.com is what you need while on a roadtrip to locate places to charge. in addition you could get the teslatap mini to use the tesla destination chargers found at many hotels.

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag
are you aware that off of a 110 outlet you might get 4 miles of range an hour from it? for most people that is painfully slow. bringing a charger while traveling is mostly unnecessary because there are so many places to charge. www.plugshare.com is what you need while on a roadtrip to locate places to charge. in addition you could get the teslatap mini to use the tesla destination chargers found at many hotels.
(if you have forever) was there for a reason......... every electric car i know of includes a unit for charging on the road. I wouldn't want to head out without some ability to charge the car domestically. And, like I said, some 'chargers' I have seen are only outlets.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
(if you have forever) was there for a reason......... every electric car i know of includes a unit for charging on the road. I wouldn't want to head out without some ability to charge the car domestically. And, like I said, some 'chargers' I have seen are only outlets.
I have owned EV's since 2012 and have taken road trips all across the US and I have taken my charger with me on only two of those trips, both of which were in the early days prior to the huge expansion of public charging units.

if it is only an outlet then it isn't a charging unit.

you really should familiarize yourself with sites like these to know about your charging options when out there road tripping
www.plugshare.com or https://na.chargepoint.com/charge_point or
https://chargehub.com/en/charging-stations-map.html or
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

there is almost nowhere in the US that is very far from at least an L2 charger.

maybe this will be a worthwhile read
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/patricia-valderrama/electric-vehicle-charging-101

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That’s really frustrating. The charger is clearly missing from the standard equipment list you posted from the time of your order.
Would have been more frustrating the other way around (selecting one and not getting it) lol. But yeah, it seemed to have been a confusing time to order.

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I bit the bullet and switched my house charging over to the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus. Does anyone have any idea how to manage it? It came with a paper with a password, but the instructions are otherwise not great. I plugged it in and pressed direct charge (I'm at 85% now), but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus 20210403_112329

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does anyone have any idea how to manage it? It came with a paper with a password, but the instructions are otherwise not great.
I think the only settings on the device are whether it charges at 20A or 40A.

It looks like it can interface with some type of external energy monitor over PLC.

It also has a web app, which also requires a PLC connection to access, but I don’t think you can use it to manage anything. Just view data. This access is what the paperwork you reference is for.

Note, I don’t have one yet. I’m just going by the manual that’s available online. But I’m getting a PMC+ with my car (mid/late May...it’s at Emden!!!) and I plan on at least trying to get the PLC connection working, just to see it. If I do, I’ll make a write up for it for others to reference (unless someone already has one I can follow???).

I imagine it’s mostly worthless and not with the effort.

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think the only settings on the device are whether it charges at 20A or 40A.

It looks like it can interface with some type of external energy monitor over PLC.

It also has a web app, which also requires a PLC connection to access, but I don’t think you can use it to manage anything. Just view data. This access is what the paperwork you reference is for.

Note, I don’t have one yet. I’m just going by the manual that’s available online. But I’m getting a PMC+ with my car (mid/late May...it’s at Emden!!!) and I plan on at least trying to get the PLC connection working, just to see it. If I do, I’ll make a write up for it for others to reference (unless someone already has one I can follow???).

I imagine it’s mostly worthless and not with the effort.
Yeah, that's the same info I got from the manual. Trying to figure out what this PLC interface is lol.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
PLC = power line communication - so you’d need a “device” hooked up to the AC powerlines to then bridge onto your home network - I’d humbly suggest it isn’t worth it - just treat it like a 40 amp “dumb“ EVSE and be done with it.

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
PLC = power line communication - so you’d need a “device” hooked up to the AC powerlines to then bridge onto your home network - I’d humbly suggest it isn’t worth it - just treat it like a 40 amp “dumb“ EVSE and be done with it.
Without that, is there any way know what kwh it's charging at? On the cheap travel charger I was using before, it would display the temp, amps and kwh at least.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Without that, is there any way know what kwh it's charging at? On the cheap travel charger I was using before, it would display the temp, amps and kwh at least.
Just that 100% light. It only has two modes. 50% and 100% (with a light for each).

Your 100% light is on which means 100%. So it’s at 40 amps at 240VAC, 9.6kW.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
for “dumb” EV chargers like the PMC+ or ClipperCreek you can use the “in car” charging display (0.3 mpm) to see kilowatts

if you tap on the (0.3 mpm) number while it’s charging it will “toggle” to kW

9.6 kW “raw” 240 volt @ 40 amps will show about 8.6x kW “in vehicle”
240 volts @ 20 amps “raw” is 4.8 kW - so I would expect like 3.92 kW “in vehicle” on the center lower console if you tapped on the “0.1 mpm” display during charging.
Sponsored