daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have blind corporate faith that Porsche will do something to fix. Just waiting patiently and dont have any issues charging at 50% and bumping to 100% when needed - i just keep my eye on the plug. My old SA said he thinks they will do something and do some type of cable update, but he didnt have any firm details.

phil.
ok we will see…

i believe this is Porsche's response and they consider the issue "settled" with this updated charging recommendations. There is no known issue with the PMC+/PMCC running at 100% if you have the appropriate Hubble NEMA 14-50/6-50 socket…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-related-porsche-ntsb-article-analysis.13902/

also I consider this quote from their document to be quite telling…there is no problem to be fixed in their view.
The surface of the charger and associated equipment can become very hot under normal use. This is normal and not an indication of a defect in the charger. Observe the operating instructions provided with the charger, particularly the warnings and safety instructions.
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
There are plenty of problems, if only the fact that everyone here laughs at the mere suggestion of using a Porsche EVSE. That can’t sit well at HQ. So while they may not want to issue a recall to fix the chargers out in the wild, it would be monumentally stupid not to address the issue in the next design iteration.

Mind you, this is a company that hadn’t changed the design of their main product for 26 years, so we may be waiting for a while. 😉

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
There are plenty of problems, if only the fact that everyone here laughs at the mere suggestion of using a Porsche EVSE. That can’t sit well at HQ. So while they may not want to issue a recall to fix the chargers out in the wild, it would be monumentally stupid not to address the issue in the next design iteration.

Mind you, this is a company that hadn’t changed the design of their main product for 26 years, so we may be waiting for a while. 😉
I think the EV Macan will be the first opportunity to see if Porsche has quietly decided to make any changes in this space…if they come to market with unmodified PMC+/PMCC then we'll know they believe the issue to be settled.

I also don't know how much HQ "cares" about the PMC+/PMCC - honestly these EV chargers (EVSE's) are like USB-phone chargers - once you get "enough" of them into the world you no longer need to provide one with each vehicle (Tesla already made their excellent $200 UMC Gen2 EVSE optional with each vehicle - no longer standard).

the EVSE should not be vendor specific and should charge any standards compliant EV for a given region/market - so Porsche make not need to excel in the EVSE space and leave it others…

but the standard/optional EVSE for the EV Macan will tell us if Porsche cares to address this issue - that's both flagship, highly visible, and high volume - if I was going to "fix" a problem, I'd do for my highly visible high volume flagship EV product - other wise they are going to pump 10's of thousands of the existing design into the market - maybe buy stock in "hubble" cause Porsche now has strong education/guidance for the dealer network - and they will be pushing hubble socket sales to new highs…

NOTE: the PMC/PMC+/PMCC is shared across the VW/Audi/Porsche brands - and included/sold with all their EV/battery vehicles - so this product dates back to the 918 Spyder and is not just pure EV - it's also all their hybrids (Panamera & Cayenne) - it's way more volume than 100,000 or so Taycan's - it's across the entire VW/Audi/Porsche EV/Hybrid fleet…updating it would be an admission of "guilt" with repercussion's beyond the Taycan/Porsche community - also the product is well received in other markets and only has "issues" in North America - for which there is now strong guidance as to how the product should be deployed.

I'm dubious they are going to engage precious resources on a redesign/update - but will be pleased if they do.
Sponsored