Porsche needs a new ad agency ... or do they?

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Porsche needs a new ad agency ... or do they? Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.29.44 AM
Porsche Taycan Porsche needs a new ad agency ... or do they? Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.31.19 AM

Assuming that virtually nothing is random with respect to product positioning and promotion in a multi-billion dollar industry, one can only wonder what is going on at Porsche HQ. Is their target demographic actually loyal Porsche purists (i.e. the type of people who love performance cars and follow forums such as this one) or something else? The MB ad communicates that the baddest mother f'er on four wheels drives an AMG EV on his way home from work. And if we can't trade places with Mr. Hamilton, perhaps driving the same car as him will provide us a glimpse into what it is like to be the baddest mother f'er on four wheels. On the other hand, the Porsche "Soul, Electrified" (WTF does that even mean?) image communicates (to me at least) that the Taycan, in frozenberry!!!, is "the car" for Crazy Rich Asians who like Burberry jackets and yellow shoes. In other words, just another accessory to add to an already meaningless collection of status symbols. And so, the question becomes: Does Porsche need an ad/marketing agency that gets it, or do the rest of us just not get that frozenberry (and all that it entails) is the new black. (Sorry for the rant, but I really admire Lewis Hamilton, really wish that he was standing in front of a jet black Turbo S, and really, really hate pink cars.)

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Just a thought: i think that there’s a driver in taycan, who stopped the car, so she can go cross the street.
zoom picture and you will see hand on the wheel, and a face as well.

regarding “soul, electrified”… imo, they wanted to send the message that (porsche) cars have souls…and now, they electrified it :angel:

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.29.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.31.19 AM.png

Assuming that virtually nothing is random with respect to product positioning and promotion in a multi-billion dollar industry, one can only wonder what is going on at Porsche HQ. Is their target demographic actually loyal Porsche purists (i.e. the type of people who love performance cars and follow forums such as this one) or something else? The MB ad communicates that the baddest mother f'er on four wheels drives an AMG EV on his way home from work. And if we can't trade places with Mr. Hamilton, perhaps driving the same car as him will provide us a glimpse into what it is like to be the baddest mother f'er on four wheels. On the other hand, the Porsche "Soul, Electrified" (WTF does that even mean?) image communicates (to me at least) that the Taycan, in frozenberry!!!, is "the car" for Crazy Rich Asians who like Burberry jackets and yellow shoes. In other words, just another accessory to add to an already meaningless collection of status symbols. And so, the question becomes: Does Porsche need an ad/marketing agency that gets it, or do the rest of us just not get that frozenberry (and all that it entails) is the new black. (Sorry for the rant, but I really admire Lewis Hamilton, really wish that he was standing in front of a jet black Turbo S, and really, really hate pink cars.)
Wouldn't the proof be in the numbers of frozenberry taycan's that are sold and from what I understand those numbers are low. As such, it seems that the ad campaign is either ineffective or Porsche is indeed chasing the wrong buying demographic.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Hamilton’s a complete poser. Never had to drive a car not capable of winning races. Talks about sabotage and is willing to toss Mercedes under the bus when things don’t go his way. This is what Lewis should be driving.
Porsche Taycan Porsche needs a new ad agency ... or do they? 2065CECE-DAD8-4AD5-AC5E-655B7188BDE2

Last edited:

TayFan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi A7, Mercedes ML350
Country flag
Considering the demand for Taycan, I would say their ad agency is doing great.

Not to mention, they had one of the best Super Bowl spots last year.

Yea I personally thought they nailed it with that ad! I also think for a tagline, “Soul. Electrified” isn’t too shabby. It means Porsche stirs your soul, and even the electric version. It positions then well for their differentiation against their Tesla competition, which lacks “soul” (IMO), as they feel more like a computer on wheels (albeit a very quick one in a straight line). Just my $.02

Reactions: B61

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Considering the demand for Taycan, I would say their ad agency is doing great.

Not to mention, they had one of the best Super Bowl spots last year.

Yes, this was an ad very much inline with the soul of Porsche. I do agree, the frozen blue and xberry, doesn’t have the same effect

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Personally, I am glad it's not LH promoting the Taycan.
I admire the guy, but he seems to be forever whinging nowadays.

On the other hand I think 'soul electrified' is a brilliant strap line....
Gets the point across in two words - that although it's electric, its still a Porsche and drives like Porches do. Effectively, what people needed to know at launch.

Agree about the Burberry coat and yellow shoes though (and frozen Berry)!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Also have to say that the pic of LH doesn't do him any favours at all imo.
I think he looks bored and a bit of a mess. Like a teenager who's just been grounded.

Considering he owns his own clothing label too.

Seen much better pics of him in the past. Surprised Merc used this one.

And is he really small, or is that car big?

OP
OP
Tsingtao

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Just a thought: i think that there’s a driver in taycan, who stopped the car, so she can go cross the street.
zoom picture and you will see hand on the wheel, and a face as well.

regarding “soul, electrified”… imo, they wanted to send the message that (porsche) cars have souls…and now, they electrified it :angel:
After your comment, I did look closer and sure enough there is a shadowy figure behind the wheel of the pink Taycan. Only two possibilities: (1) the valet who is going to park her pink car while she meets some gals for lunch, or (2) some dude who drives a pink car who just said something creepy to her, thus explaining why she is walking away without looking back!;).

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Does Porsche need an ad/marketing agency that gets it, or do the rest of us just not get that frozenberry (and all that it entails) is the new black.
Having come to this thread immediately after reading an article explaining how Porsche is having their best sales year in history, and how the Taycan, in particular, out sold all of the 911 and 718 models combined last quarter, I would say No. I think their ad agency deserves a raise.
Sponsored