DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
I always thought blockchain to be a fascinating technology. However, to date, I have yet to come across a compelling usage scenario which cannot be accomplished via less complex and/or cheaper solutions. It seems blockchain is a solution still looking for a problem.
The one proposal that I've ever seen that is a good match for what blockchain can provide was a proposal to use it to manage the BGP routing tables for the core internet routers. But that scenario is almost tailor made for the Byzantine Generals problem. Most of the core routers can be trusted, but there are a few rogue agents that get in on occasion. A blockchain providing distributed consensus could actually be beneficial here.

BGP Blockchain (ietf.org)

For virtually every other application, including NFTs, it's been forced on it has far more downsides than upsides.
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
As a general rule, I replace the word "blockchain" with the word "database" in my mind and then re-read the hype to see if it is still "impressive".

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
As a general rule, I replace the word "blockchain" with the word "database" in my mind and then re-read the hype to see if it is still "impressive".
Or a more detailed description - an expensive to write, WORM (write once read many) database, typically publicly readable.
Sponsored