Porsche Offering 3 Years Free Charging to Taycan Owners

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Country flag
PRESS RELEASE:

PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA ANNOUNCES THREE YEARS OF ELECTRIFY AMERICA CHARGING FOR TAYCAN OWNERS

Porsche to provide coast-to-coast fast-charger coverage through public and dealer networks, plus home charging

Atlanta, Georgia. Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA) today announced an agreement with Electrify America, LLC to provide the first all-electric Porsche, the Taycan, with three years of charging at Electrify America public stations across the country. This charging benefit will be included in the price of the Taycan. In addition, Porsche U.S. dealers will install their own fast-charge kiosks. Porsche will also offer home charging technology. Taken together, these three components will make up a comprehensive power network for the Taycan when it launches late this year.

Electrify America highway and metro stations, and many Porsche dealers, will offer DC fast charging at rates up to 350 kilowatts. Using 800 volt technology and the combined charging system (CCS) plug, the Taycan will be able to add more than 60 miles of range in four minutes – the fastest in today’s automotive market.

“Every Porsche is a sports car with soul, and the Taycan is soul electrified,” said Klaus Zellmer, President and CEO of PCNA. “Together, Electrify America and our Porsche dealer network will provide a national infrastructure for DC fast charging that frees future Taycan owners from range anxiety. And Porsche home charging technology will turn the customer’s garage into the equivalent of a personal gas station.”

Taycan buyers will receive three years of unlimited 30-minute charging at Electrify America locations, comprised of more than 300 highway stations in 42 states as well as more than 180 sites in 17 metro areas. Each location will have an average of five charging dispensers, with some having as many as ten.

The Electrify America highway stations will have a minimum of two 350 kW chargers per site, with additional chargers delivering up to 150kW. The highway stations will be spaced along multiple routes and no more than 120 miles from each other. Nationally, the distance between highway stations will average 70 miles. Charging dispensers at metro locations will be able to charge at speeds up to 150 kW.

The first phase of Electrify America’s nationwide ultra-fast charging network will feature 484 locations with more than 2,000 charging dispensers installed or under construction by July 1, ahead of the Taycan’s arrival in late 2019. The company’s second phase of charger installations is expected to deploy hundreds of additional charging sites beginning July 2019.

To further expand power options, all 191 U.S. Porsche dealerships will install DC fast charging. More than 120 of these dealerships will feature Porsche Turbo Charging, which is the automaker’s own DC system that delivers up to 320 kW and also uses the CCS plug. The remaining dealerships will install 50 kW fast chargers.

Together, the total investment by Porsche dealers in charging infrastructure will be about $70 million.

The first Porsche Turbo Chargers are already installed at the Porsche Experience Center (PEC) in Atlanta and more are planned for the PEC Los Angeles.

Most cars spend 95 percent of their time parked at home or at work, so new charging options for the Taycan will include a Porsche-designed home system. Details of the system and installation options will follow soon.

For more information about electric vehicle charging, please see https://www.electrifyamerica.com/about-ev-charging.

Media article:

Porsche Taycan owners will get 3 years of free charging
Free charging is courtesy of Electrify America

Porsche Taycan Porsche Offering 3 Years Free Charging to Taycan Owners {filename}

One of the perks of owning a Tesla is access to the Supercharger network of fast chargers, and especially the early offer of free charging there with certain models. So it's not entirely surprising that Porsche will provide a similar program to buyers of the Porsche Taycan electric sports sedan. For the first three years of ownership, Taycan customers will be able to charge for free at Electrify America charging stations. This also isn't a surprise since Porsche's parent company Volkswagen owns and operates Electrify America. But Porsche isn't the only one providing free access to the network, Lucid Motors is, too.

According to Porsche, Electrify America will have 484 nationwide locations for charging this summer, which comes ahead of the Taycan's late 2019 launch. Stations, on average, will be 70 miles apart on highways, and never more than 120 miles from each other. This is a smaller number of stations than Tesla's Supercharger network, which has 1,422 stations, but Electrify America has only been around since the end of 2016. All of Porsche's 191 dealerships will also be adding chargers, too. Plus, the Taycan will use the SAE type of plug, so other public stations with that connection will be accessible, just not for free.

Each Electrify America station will feature at least two 350-kW chargers for fast charging. Of the 191 Porsche dealers, 120 will have 320-kW chargers. If any of these chargers are 800-volt units, owners should be able to obtain at least 60 miles of range in 4 minutes, and potentially recharge to 80 percent capacity in 20 minutes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GratedWasabi

Banned
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan Turbo
Country flag
I figured they would at least offer free Supercharging at dealers but this is just fantastic.

Definitely enough to seal the deal for me. No fuel expenses for three years? Done.

Porsche is really going all in on the Taycan and I can't believe they'd do so unless the car is absolutely phenomenal.

M.K.

2017 911 GTS
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS
Country flag
Damn that's awesome news! Not only free charging but fast charging @ 350kw. 60 miles in 4 minutes :eek:

And I totally agree with @GratedWasabi - Porsche is going all in on the Taycan. And I'm not surprised given the phenomenal pre-orders they've received.

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What a nice perk for us early adopters. Beyond the 3 years I wonder if we'll be able to charge at dealers for free for the life of the vehicle?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
It’s not quite 3 years of “free” fuel if you charge at home - which in my opinion is one of the main advantages of owning an EV - I charge it every night like my cell phone and it’s full every morning - just like my cell phone

Also even if it’s free- I”m not sure I want to go sit at fast charger for 30-45 min a week to “fuel” my car...

In 7 years of owning EV’s I only use public fast chargers when I’m road tripping - which means only 3 or 4 weeks a year - the rest of my useage is charge at home or charge at work occasionally...

So it’s only free fuel for 3 years _IF_ you’re willing to spend an hour a week sitting at a fast charger location…

But this is a nice perk - and I love my free fast charging with my Tesla when I use it - it’s a great benefit.

Toolate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 M240i
Country flag
What a nice perk for us early adopters. Beyond the 3 years I wonder if we'll be able to charge at dealers for free for the life of the vehicle?
I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche does like Tesla did and grandfathers in free supercharging for the life of the vehicle for the first 1 or 2 model years.

PPK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche does like Tesla did and grandfathers in free supercharging for the life of the vehicle for the first 1 or 2 model years.
Definitely should. At least to help boost sales initially. They can always roll it back but it would be a great incentive to early adopters and help sway any on the fence about a Tesla.

StephenMasek

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW 340ixGT; 2014 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland V8
Country flag
Will it be "free" at the dealerships? Given that I could add enough range for most work days with just 10 minutes of charging at a nearby dealership, I'd not really need a home charger. Of course, southern California has quite a few Porsche dealerships, and will surely have many of the Volkswagen charging stations. I bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 instead of a Tesla partly because the break-even was too many years out. I also carry things which need more space, so the "wagon" version of the Taycan would be much more practical for me (and I suspect many others).

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Will it be "free" at the dealerships? Given that I could add enough range for most work days with just 10 minutes of charging at a nearby dealership, I'd not really need a home charger. Of course, southern California has quite a few Porsche dealerships, and will surely have many of the Volkswagen charging stations. I bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 instead of a Tesla partly because the break-even was too many years out. I also carry things which need more space, so the "wagon" version of the Taycan would be much more practical for me (and I suspect many others).
Sounds like it'll be free charging for 3 years at dealerships too. I'm hoping it extends past 3 years for free dealership charging too since I live close to one as well.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
So......if the pre-launch has been incredibly successful.......'sold-out first year of production'.......hint that Zuffenhausen will double planned production......press out there that many or most of the 1st reservations are to current Tesla owners....etc, etc........so it's a success before copy one is made and without any "Electrifying America" even being announced.
It kinda begs the question.....why does a company do this?
Not to be a stick-in-the-mud here but......there has been a fair amount of online chatter that the Taycan is the mule, that the Taycan is a Panocan.....not the beautiful Mission E.
Granted....to many this will not matter even if true. What the hey, 'many or most' bought Teslas :) .
I'm sure I'm left field on this......so pay no attention.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Not following, why does Porsche do what?
The launch (before the 1st one has been made and by all available metrics) is supposedly.....already an unqualified success.
I've been in business and run companies for 25 yrs and it's not real common to throw big stuff in free, after you already have the sale.
Porsche just did.
I know they had to have a network......had to have a charging system.....no one thought Porsche would fail in those areas. Pre-launch was already a success.

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The launch (before the 1st one has been made and by all available metrics) is supposedly.....already an unqualified success.
I've been in business and run companies for 25 yrs and it's not real common to throw big stuff in free, after you already have the sale.
Porsche just did.
I know they had to have a network......had to have a charging system.....no one thought Porsche would fail in those areas. Pre-launch was already a success.
Ah I see what you mean. Maybe the Electrify America and free charging news was always meant to be announced at this point of the Taycan marketing campaign. This way they can keep up interest and buzz by not announcing everything at the very beginning of marketing... and Porsche just happens to be enjoying much more interest/buzz and preorders than it anticipated.

Viand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still looking
Porsche just did.
This is new territory for Porsche and probably lots of market research and learnings still underway. This was one they had to have to stay ahead of the curve instead of playing catch up from the get go. Even if initial preorders are a big success they need this to stay competitive going forward.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
Hey, I think it is a nice perk but the demo I attended at Porsche Experience Center said they thought 85% of charging would be done at home from their demographic studies. So I am skeptical of actual value of the perk. For my two cents I would prefer a plethora of charging stations and pay for the convenience of being easy to get a charge.
Porsche Taycan Porsche Offering 3 Years Free Charging to Taycan Owners upload_2019-2-21_22-55-5

Living in CA just skipping the gas tax and high cost of premium fuel is enough of a perk for me. 300 charging stations country wide is not a whole bunch. Additionally the Tesla rapid charging stations are not compatible with the Porsche charging system (also information from the Porsche Experience Center demo) so you cannot pay for a fast charge if not at a Porsche specific station. I would think all the EV auto manufactures would want to get together on compatibility of charging stations so they have the infrastructure to get more EV on the road. :confused:
Sponsored