Porsche, please… my Taycan is not white!!!

ORZOWEI

First Name
ORZO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X P100D - Taycan Turbo S (2021)
Country flag
It´s a shame and Porsche should have this already fixed. I want to see my car color and equipment on the PCM. We pay a lot of money for this cars, and this is very easy to fix. VERY easy….
Sponsored

Kortstokk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan
Country flag
I believe the argument for keeping the car white is that some of the alternative colors leave the image with low contrast against the black background. A design decision, and you may or may not agree

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
And background is impossible to change?
C’mmon, it’s 2021, not 1991 :facepalm:

Superrat

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Crosss Turismo
Country flag
Come on guys if that is you only issue with this car consider yourself lucky. With the amount technology this car has you should just go out and drive the damn thing ..geez

ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My car is Pure White. It's white on the Porsche Connect App and on the center console.
One of the benefits of buying a white Taycan.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
And background is impossible to change?
C’mmon, it’s 2021, not 1991 :facepalm:
Changing the background requires potentially changing the entire theme design (buttons, text, etc), for example if you have white text on black background, and change background to white, you see no text! This is not impossible, but a lot more work than just swapping a color of the background - all other colors need to change as well, someone has to design them so they look good, and of course there needs to be code to make sure all colors can be changed easily. The more code you have to write, test, and maintain, the longer software takes to release each time, and more places for bugs to appear. Everyone is racing with Tesla software, but they don't want to do what Tesla does, ship it as long as it works for Elon's morning drive, fix it later if customers complain and ship it again over-the-air (famous quote from Elon "ship it now, fix it later over-the-air"). Tesla updates break things all the time, even changing UI for example once broke seat heating for anyone who had the rare executive seats - only one part of the seat would heat up instead of the whole thing. Tesla fixed it via over the air update few weeks later. With Porsche you'd have to wait for next annual software update because Porsche, like other traditional auto manufacturers, have much more stringent software processes for coding and testing. Tesla software is shipped like app software on the phone, except more often. Over 8+ years of driving a Tesla, I've even experienced Tesla updates which affected the car's safe operation, one was indirectly responsible for actual car damage.

Just to clarify, I am not saying they shouldn't show the car in the appropriate color, just saying it's not a quick fix, and if they are resource and time constrained, I'd rather get useful features working well.

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
I mean, even the crappy Porsche Connect app is able to show my car in the right colour (well, at least after it manages to connect). But on the centre console it’s always white. Is it really that difficult to render it in the right colour?
My color is correct in Porsche Connect....Frozen Blue....perhaps there is a problem with the registration of your app.

Buck

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@whitex: I know, I know…I’m in software industry for almost 40 years.
I’m just saying, that a cars for over 100K should have better software…afterall, if three times less expensive vehicles have.
it’s not about “one feature”, it’s about complete package (and i’m not even starting discussion about cameras again… )

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@whitex: I know, I know…I’m in software industry for almost 40 years.
I’m just saying, that a cars for over 100K should have better software…afterall, if three times less expensive vehicles have.
it’s not about “one feature”, it’s about complete package (and i’m not even starting discussion about cameras again… )
While I absolutely understand your position, the reality is that those cheaper cars actually make more profit on the software, therefore have much larger software budget. For example, Toyota delivered 10.6M cars in 2020. Porsche, 0.22M cars (these are worldwide numbers). That's more than 48 times the number of cars! If Toyota is counting $5K of each car sale as software profit per car (on average), Porsche would have include $240K in the price of each car for the same annual software profit. How many Taycans would they sell starting at $300K, but with same software budget as Toyota cars? If less, then the price would have to be raised to compensate. Another example, take a look at the Rimac Nevera software, and that's a car which starts at $2.4M! Spoiler alert, the software looks much worse than Taycan (but that car will leave any Taycan in the dust, heck it leaves the Tesla Plaid in the dust even in a straight line).

So, the sad truth is that economies of scale wins. Mass production cheap cars will have more featured software. The only hope for Porsche is that VW will develop common software for all its brands, and only skinning will differ (so your Porsche software will have the same features as a VW Golf, but perhaps a different color scheme and graphics). From what I hear, they are in fact planning on doing this, taking a lot more software development in-house (historically they outsourced most of it to Tier 1 suppliers like Bosch).

Last edited:

ORZOWEI

First Name
ORZO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X P100D - Taycan Turbo S (2021)
Country flag
Changing the background requires potentially changing the entire theme design (buttons, text, etc), for example if you have white text on black background, and change background to white, you see no text! This is not impossible, but a lot more work than just swapping a color of the background - all other colors need to change as well, someone has to design them so they look good, and of course there needs to be code to make sure all colors can be changed easily. The more code you have to write, test, and maintain, the longer software takes to release each time, and more places for bugs to appear. Everyone is racing with Tesla software, but they don't want to do what Tesla does, ship it as long as it works for Elon's morning drive, fix it later if customers complain and ship it again over-the-air (famous quote from Elon "ship it now, fix it later over-the-air"). Tesla updates break things all the time, even changing UI for example once broke seat heating for anyone who had the rare executive seats - only one part of the seat would heat up instead of the whole thing. Tesla fixed it via over the air update few weeks later. With Porsche you'd have to wait for next annual software update because Porsche, like other traditional auto manufacturers, have much more stringent software processes for coding and testing. Tesla software is shipped like app software on the phone, except more often. Over 8+ years of driving a Tesla, I've even experienced Tesla updates which affected the car's safe operation, one was indirectly responsible for actual car damage.

Just to clarify, I am not saying they shouldn't show the car in the appropriate color, just saying it's not a quick fix, and if they are resource and time constrained, I'd rather get useful features working well.
This is standard in every Tesla since day ONE. And you have it with white or black background, and there are no issues at all with those backgrounds, no matter the color of the car...

I never had a safety problem in my Tesla related with a software update, and I´m updating many times because I get the beta releases. Maybe I´m very lucky?

PCM is very far from "stable" at this moment, with several bugs and slow response, so as they are working in a new version, with improved UI, they could add this without worries about coding or added problems.
We are talking about a very simple update, not asking for a new uncharted feature...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is standard in every Tesla since day ONE. And you have it with white or black background, and there are no issues at all with those backgrounds, no matter the color of the car...
That is because Tesla is all about Elon hype. They will prioritize features such as fart mode (like the ability to play fart sounds on demand) over useful features (like the ability to control heated mirrors, steering wheel, or seat, via the app reliably). They keep changing the UI to keep up with latest trends, so that Tesla doesn't look "dated", but in doing so prioritize form over function. First Model S has a UI actually designed by someone who had done automotive UI in the past, with well thought out buttons on top of the screen, near the driver's line of sight, large enough and distinct enough that you could hit them at a quick glance. Today they are written by phone/tablet app developers - over time made the button less than a 20% of their original size, made them monochrome and look alike, and nested them under levels of sub-menus. To start the phone app, it used to be one tap with a quick glance of a button near line of sight. Now it's two or three taps, squinting at tiny monochrome buttons while staring in the direction of the floor.

I never had a safety problem in my Tesla related with a software update, and I´m updating many times because I get the beta releases. Maybe I´m very lucky?
Maybe, how long have you been driving Tesla's? Since 2013 I've experienced varying stability, but also some glaring omissions, such as when the windshield defrost button started turning on a new, one release only, "frost windshield" option. I discovered that "feature" while on a cost to coast trip, driving in the dark on a rural highway through a small, unlit town, with very humid air causing condensation on the outside of my windshield. Hitting the defrost windshield button very quickly made my windshield covered in ice and I had to drive with my head out the windows to try to find a place to pull over. Once pulled over, I realized the defrost button just turns on max A/C on the windshield (not heater) , probably something which made it defog faster in dry Silicon Valley climate, so when some developer thought of it, they just implemented ("Best process is no process" as per Elon's quote). I went to the forums to warn people, turns out others have already found it. Tesla reverted that feature next release.

Another one, my wife's car got an update. As usual, release notes on the car show blank in the morning when she got in the car. So drove somewhere where she's gone many times before, parked the car in a tight parking spot. On way out, she did what she usually did for the previous year, she got in the car, folded the mirrors, and started backing out. Then crunch! What happened? Well, Tesla added a new feature to automatically unfold mirrors when the car started moving, so the mirrors unfolded into a concrete post even though the driver explicitly folded them. $600 damage, not covered by Tesla, though they did change that feature to unfold above some minimum speed instead of as soon as the car starts moving. Oh, and that feature most likely was a hack solution to the fact that for years Tesla couldn't get their mirror state machine working correctly and when opening/closing doors while parked, the car got confused and many times ended up with one or both mirrors folded when starting to drive, so after not being to solve the issue for years, they just decided to unfold them when car starts moving.

General stability of the software goes in and out. Sometimes it's stable for a long time, other times it reboots every few drives. I remember one time I was driving my daughter and my MCU reset itself while driving (turning off any heat, cooling, defrosting, lights, etc). I told my daughter "don't worry kiddo, the computer is just rebooting", her response was "I know dad, this happens in mom's car all the time". I don't know why but I assumed since my wife had the later generation of the MCU, I somehow assumed it was more stable than my first generation (gen 1.5 actually, but small detail). Oh, my wife's latest MCU crapped out last week (it's a 3 years old Model S), after a reboot during driving, MCU decided her car is a red S85 (it's not), and scrambled all her settings (including regen, steering wheel, creep mode, etc) which freaked my wife out. After she got home, not able to open the garage door (MCU scrambled Homelink settings too), ready to trade the car in for anything but a Tesla, I did a complete factory reset of the MCU, set all the settings from scratch, including linking garage opener, phone, etc. So far it's working, we'll see how long (1 more year of warranty).

PCM is very far from "stable" at this moment, with several bugs and slow response, so as they are working in a new version, with improved UI, they could add this without worries about coding or added problems.
Granted, I have not experienced the PCM yet (long wait to get a Taycan) so I cannot state whether it's better or worse than Tesla software. My point was merely that I would rather the manufacturer prioritized functional features (actual functions relevant to driving the car, not fart modes, romance mode, or even Netflix or games - all Tesla features for those who didn't know) over form (such as making it look trendy).

We are talking about a very simple update, not asking for a new uncharted feature...
I work with automotive customers, there is no such thing as a simple update. A few lines of code can take a month or more or effort to release. In automotive each line of code needs to be traced to a feature requirement, have 100% code coverage unit tests written and traced back to the code, have proper safety and security models adjusted and impact assessed, etc, etc. Tesla doesn't do much or any of that of course, Elon is running it Silicon Valley style, hire superstar programmers, put together really impressive software, replace the superstars every 2-4 years after they burn out (I know a few of them, they remember working for Tesla and in some cases Elon personally as the most intense work experience they ever did, an experience they valued and would not trade for anything, but also will never ever sign up to do again). I do hear Elon is running low on superstars to hire though, even personally throwing recruiting parties.
Sponsored

Last edited: