Porsche, please… my Taycan is not white!!!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I was showing my wife the 3D camera hack today and my 7yo from the back seat angrily shouted, “Why is that car white?! Our car isn’t white!”

I cracked up thinking of this thread.?

‘bout what I’d expect from a 7yo…?

Anyway…continue…
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I was showing my wife the 3D camera hack today and my 7yo from the back seat angrily shouted, “Why is that car white?! Our car isn’t white!”

I cracked up thinking of this thread.?

‘bout what I’d expect from a 7yo…?

Anyway…continue…
Did the 7yo ask if the car turns white on the outside when you turn on 3D camera? Now that would be a heck of a hack. ?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Did the 7yo ask if the car turns white on the outside when you turn on 3D camera? Now that would be a heck of a hack. ?
Nope, he was just pissed that it was rendered wrong.?‍♂

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope, he was just pissed that it was rendered wrong.?‍♂
You Your 7 year old would really enjoy Tesla UI in that respect. They render everything, including external headlights, tail-light, brake lights, blinkers, doors open, windows, sunroof (when they had them), etc. I even read that one owner had their rendering showing one of their rear brake light not showing as going on during braking, they went out and checked, yep, the light was in fact not working.

The new Plaid UI looks like a video game with your car rotating in 3D (car rotating on empty background). The only things missing are your damage/health indicator and number of respawns left. ;)

No car out there that has everything. Tesla prioritizes cool looking feature, but you have to give up on functionality, like actual 360 camera based view. Tesla has games, and Netflix, and Disney+. Porsche has Apple Carplay, Android Auto. No "have it all" options - we all have to decide what to drive based on what is most important to us. I prefer a functional 360 view over correctly rendered virtual car on an empty background, others prefer the car to match and don't care about showing surroundings. Those who care a lot about both, buy BMW, with other trade-offs of course.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...If Toyota is counting $5K of each car sale as software profit per car (on average), Porsche would have include $240K in the price of each car for the same annual software profit.
Considering this and that Taycan is a whole new platform, I think the software including the app is pretty good...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You mean the 7yo would really enjoy it….

I don’t remember complaining.

I remember comparing complainers to 7 year olds.?
Touché! :like:
I misread that it was you who was pissed about the rendering. :blush: Correction applied. ;)

ORZOWEI

First Name
ORZO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X P100D - Taycan Turbo S (2021)
Country flag
True, but white car on a black background makes it easy to see/use?
Well, it looks like Tesla sorted that "problem" years ago, and you see your car on the screen with the real color, and also your actual rims, not generic ones...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, it looks like Tesla sorted that "problem" years ago, and you see your car on the screen with the real color, and also your actual rims, not generic ones...
Yep, and then they unsorted it earlier this year for the app. Both my white Teslas show up as silver in the app, one of them shows up with a black glass roof even though it has a solid white roof too. The rims are still correct, for now. Evidently even Tesla doesn't think it's worth rendering the car super accurately on the phone, since they used to and decided not to.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
if referring to the surround view pic im glad the car is white cgi so it contrasts with the pavement/tarmac for kerbs etc
Sponsored