Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
And wouldn’t Apple Car Key be a more useful feature?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I understand the concern with 12V battery issues and I am sure that they have engineers working on that. I think it's also required to keep the car extending. There are likely a different set of folks working on the infotainment system vs the core power systems.

I for one, am super happy to hear that they have created a new value for the passenger display option as my car had it.

Another article fromva Mac journal:
Porsche Taycan EV gains exclusive Apple Podcasts and Apple Music time-synced lyrics integration

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Absolutely! Porsche really have the Ostrich principle adapted and in full flow.

Stick your head in the sand and there is no problems!

So terrible to see this type of release when they have so huge problems with their PCM? Even their dealers service guys have given up and just shake their heads.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche Taycan EV gains exclusive Apple Podcasts and Apple Music time-synced lyrics integration.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...atures-apple-podcasts-music-lyrics-22638.html

By all accounts in this forum, there are plenty of more pressing problems to fix with software before adding the ability to have lyrics for a sing along!
I can't tell if you're joking or not. If not, I'm quite certain the same people that work on the internal PCM functionality and bugs don't work on stuff like this.

As @ron_b mentions, they have to be forward thinking while also improving the product they already have.

I know some people have had issues with the software but I can personally attest to the software working flawlessly for me so far (several months and thousand miles in).

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm not sure what you think Porsche should do @Scandinavian, I'm sure they have maybe a dozen engineers working on the PCM issues, should all others sit on their hands until fixes are available? Do you think that they should hold off marketing?

I get my car in 3 weeks that was built in August with whatever software issues it has. I trust all fixes will be applied before I pickup and then I will be informed when others become available. I think that the physical vehicle is amazing and software can be fixed incrementally though I also hope soon. But I also think Porsche must continue with innovation.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not sure what you think Porsche should do @Scandinavian, I'm sure they have maybe a dozen engineers working on the PCM issues, should all others sit on their hands until fixes are available? Do you think that they should hold off marketing?

I get my car in 3 weeks that was built in August with whatever software issues it has. I trust all fixes will be applied before I pickup and then I will be informed when others become available. I think that the physical vehicle is amazing and software can be fixed incrementally though I also hope soon. But I also think Porsche must continue with innovation.
I agree that Porsche will need to continue innovations and release new features.
But it would be appreciated if they would address some of the issues that are out there. At the moment they do nothing. No acknowledgement, no response, no way of the dealer even getting a response.

The navigation is as others have pointed out absolutely rubbish. The charging plannner does not find Ionity stations even if you park beside one and plug it in! My whole PCM just shut down a few times and left the main screen, navigation and the whole PCM dead for quite some time. Restarted the next day. Even the demo car at Porsche dealer has had the same issue and no response.

And then to read that such fantastic new things will be released for the new model year, just shows how behind Porsche are in this. Have you seen any indication that some of these saw features will be in the existing cars? Like the charging without having to start that fantastic connect app? Like implementing Apple Car Play that was promised a year ago? Etcetc!

I borrowed a friends Cayenne for a few days and it was night and day for the PCM! Why Porsche had to reinvent the wheel is difficult to understand. TheMacan and the 992 seems to have a very good PCM as well. But their technology flagship the Taycan has a very useless and bad implementation.

This is my fourth Porsche and I am sure it will be the last one. Once there is a reasonable alternative available I am going to very seriously have a look. I just hope for that day to come faster than it seems today

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I'm sure Porsche is structured like most companies. You typically have two primary engineering teams for products, New Product Development and Sustaining. Many companies call these groups different things, but the effectively serve the same purpose. New Product Development works on future products and upgrades to existing product. Sustaining Engineering helps troubleshoot customer, ongoing reliability, and manufacturing issues.

Odds are the problems we experience with the Taycan are handled by their sustaining organization and things like the new Apple Music features are handled by the New Product group. It doesn't mean they aren't trying to fix the problems. It just means they need to keep working on future products at the same time. It's not like they would pull everyone off of Taycan 2.0 to fix the 12V issues.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
No acknowledgement, no response, no way of the dealer even getting a response.

The navigation is as others have pointed out absolutely rubbish. The charging plannner does not find Ionity stations even if you park beside one and plug it in! My whole PCM just shut down a few times and left the main screen, navigation and the whole PCM dead for quite some time. Restarted the next day. Even the demo car at Porsche dealer has had the same issue and no response.
The navigation is it's own issue which I described in the other thread. I've yet to experience a car with a decent Nav because it's not worth the development cost for car manufacturers when you Google Maps and Waze outclass anything they could build. There's just not going to be a better Nav system put into these car unless they make a deal to integrate Google Maps or Waze.

One of the issues with finding chargers is that there are so many different charging companies and there simply isn't an efficient system everyone is using to be on the same page. This is one aspect that helps Tesla.. Tesla chargers are Tesla chargers so it's all linked together. But Porsche has to try to get information from a variety of companies, many (probably most or all right now) of which are putting minimum effort into their chargers right now. It's a complex issue.

My PCM has worked perfectly and a PCM that shuts down like that is a serious problem and not a widespread software bug. It's likely a faulty PCM unit. Your dealer can always get a same day response, the reality is they just don't want you to blame them and it's easier to just say "it's Porsche corporate's problem!"

Reactions: Reg

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The navigation is it's own issue which I described in the other thread. I've yet to experience a car with a decent Nav because it's not worth the development cost for car manufacturers when you Google Maps and Waze outclass anything they could build. There's just not going to be a better Nav system put into these car unless they make a deal to integrate Google Maps or Waze.
But the Navigation system is NOT their own development! It is HERE ( ex NavTeq)
https://www.here.com/solutions/automotive.
https://www.here.com/company.
The company has 8000 employees!
I f they can not provide a good system, why choose them in the first place? Because they are owned by VW, BMW and a number of other car manufacturers. They also seem to have some very advanced system in development. But perhaps Porsche got this specific system at a bargain price. The system is so outdated it is untrue!

One of the issues with finding chargers is that there are so many different charging companies and there simply isn't an efficient system everyone is using to be on the same page.
Ionity is also a company that is funded by VW ( Porsche) just like EA . Why would it be so difficult to have that information that somehow is part of the same ownership? ABRP gets the information and has it up to date nearly as soon as the charging station is opened. And that is just a very small group of people developing the product. But they do an amazing job. It is just a question of having a link to the updated Ionity web pages.

The PCM has been investigated and checked and found to be just fine and no fault found. What more can I do?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
By all accounts in this forum, there are plenty of more pressing problems to fix with software before adding the ability to have lyrics for a sing along!
Not for me, there isn't.

Besides, companies have different departments with people of different skill sets and heck, maybe a lot of this work was done by Apple. I am sure the engineers are working hard to continuously improve the product.

Btw, I just saw in the Charging NA app u under vehicle description, that my car is listed as “Plug and Charge” enabled. Also EA said last year that they plan to roll that out in 2020, so it may happen soon if Covid didn’t delay that

Last edited:

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I can't tell if you're joking or not. If not, I'm quite certain the same people that work on the internal PCM functionality and bugs don't work on stuff like this.

As @ron_b mentions, they have to be forward thinking while also improving the product they already have.

I know some people have had issues with the software but I can personally attest to the software working flawlessly for me so far (several months and thousand miles in).
+1
All issues so far have been minor - mostly due to my lack of knowledge.

Reactions: Reg

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Oh, I forgot to add @Neighs
At least Porsche hasn't announced adding Fart Mode like other performance EV companies. :cool:

They must have some level of technical integrity when choosing future features.

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
Absolutely! Porsche really have the Ostrich principle adapted and in full flow.

Stick your head in the sand and there is no problems!

So terrible to see this type of release when they have so huge problems with their PCM? Even their dealers service guys have given up and just shake their heads.
They can walk and chew gum. The entertainment unit uses VW’s MIB3. This might not even be a feature specifically developed at Porsche and certainly not by the group dealing with the PCM problems.
Sponsored