SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
For those of you considering a Porsche rear bike rack for your Cross/Sport Turismo, be forewarned that it's BIG, HEAVY and CUMBERSOME. The woman in the YouTube video made it seem light and very easy to handle. I would bet that she was demonstrating a lightweight prototype - very misleading. The rack is well designed and easy to use - once you figure out how to lift it into the perfect position (to connect to the two bars that you have to attach to the rear of the car). To be clear, I have no regrets about buying the rack. Just very surprised at how heavy and cumbersome it is...
Sponsored

OP
OP
SRQ661

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
For those of you considering a Porsche rear bike rack for your Cross/Sport Turismo, be forewarned that it's BIG, HEAVY and CUMBERSOME. The woman in the YouTube video made it seem light and very easy to handle. I would bet that she was demonstrating a lightweight prototype - very misleading. The rack is well designed and easy to use - once you figure out how to lift it into the perfect position (to connect to the two bars that you have to attach to the rear of the car). To be clear, I have no regrets about buying the rack. Just very surprised at how heavy and cumbersome it is...
Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Bike Rack 6B9742FB-40A2-44AB-8697-F817CDB569DF

Attachments

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
A bit disappointing to hear but sounds similar to the one I had on my BMW ST in that regard.

Looking at it makes me wonder why Porsche didn't insist the manufacturer try to mimic the Porsche lighting rather than the blocky lights that are on there - no relation to Porsche design whatsoever! Here is one poss simple fix (custom cut black plastic pieces or something similar) I might do to remedy this whenever the heck I see mine - these things just bug me :)!

Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Bike Rack Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 12.56.16 PM

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Just picked mine up as well and man you’re not kidding, this thing is way bigger and heavier than it needs to be! Still glad to have a bike rack though!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just picked mine up as well and man you’re not kidding, this thing is way bigger and heavier than it needs to be! Still glad to have a bike rack though!
Does it specify how heavy it is?

OP
OP
SRQ661

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does it specify how heavy it is?
There might be a weight on the shipping container. But my dealer had to uncrate my rack because it wouldn’t fit in the rear of my CT - even with the rear seats down. The shipping container (a cardboard box) was too wide. I estimate that it weighs at least 40 pounds…

OP
OP
SRQ661

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
There might be a weight on the shipping container. But my dealer had to uncrate my rack because it wouldn’t fit in the rear of my CT - even with the rear seats down. The shipping container (a cardboard box) was too wide. I estimate that it weighs at least 40 pounds…
Update on weight: 17.1kg; 38 pounds

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So my prior model for my BMW was able to fold up into a roughly 2ft square - light assemblies folded back sideways etc - could have sworn I read that this unit did the same - are you saying this does not collapse into a smaller footprint for storage in the car?

EDIT
I just re-read he description again and it def says it’s foldable (realize this s not the Taycan but carrier system simikar)

Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Bike Rack 19834ED6-AF1F-413B-8243-ACC308ABA8E8

Last edited:

OP
OP
SRQ661

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
So my prior model for my BMW was able to fold up into a roughly 2ft square - light assemblies folded back sideways etc - could have sworn I read that this unit did the same - are you saying this does not collapse into a smaller footprint?
It collapses into a smaller footprint.
So my prior model for my BMW was able to fold up into a roughly 2ft square - light assemblies folded back sideways etc - could have sworn I read that this unit did the same - are you saying this does not collapse into a smaller footprint for storage in the car?
It collapses into an approximate 27”x33” footprint. Fits easily in back of CT w/o seats folded down…

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
My Porsche bike carrier rack just broke at one of the upright support bar points. Will be following up with my Dealer next week on replacement or return. In the meantime, I plan to use the two factory bars that attach to the CT and purchase a 1UP tray and attach it to the factory bars as a back up or replacement solution. Not very impressed right now with the Porsche bike carrier. The folding devises of the rack make it prone to failure.

Jim Cotter

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross Turismo
Country flag
A bit disappointing to hear but sounds similar to the one I had on my BMW ST in that regard.

Looking at it makes me wonder why Porsche didn't insist the manufacturer try to mimic the Porsche lighting rather than the blocky lights that are on there - no relation to Porsche design whatsoever! Here is one poss simple fix (custom cut black plastic pieces or something similar) I might do to remedy this whenever the heck I see mine - these things just bug me :)!

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 12.56.16 PM.png
I received my bike carrier recently very disappointed.The video on utube is so misleading,It is so big to store,extremely heavy and pricey ,surprised such a brand as Porsche put their name to it.

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
Would it be feasible to design a converter from the CT bike attachement to a hitch ball to mount a regular bike rack? I wish someone was selling such a solution. Even if limited in weight

OP
OP
SRQ661

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I received my bike carrier recently very disappointed.The video on utube is so misleading,It is so big to store,extremely heavy and pricey ,surprised such a brand as Porsche put their name to it.
Now that I’ve been using my Porsche bike rack for several months, it no longer seems heavy or cumbersome. I’ve got putting it on and taking it off down to a science - less that five minutes each way. And I can carry two bikes - something I couldn’t fit into my CT…

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow - you are the first person I've come across that actually recently received a unit - ZERO progress here in the US on orders but apparently they are now building and shipping these at least in Europe!

Agreed re size - I am part of Will's optimized design and if my 3rd party light system (plug pins) works with this setup, I'll be good to go and very likely will cancel my OEM order (last guess from the dealership as to when it would arrive was late in 4th Qtr. 2022!).

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Would it be feasible to design a converter from the CT bike attachement to a hitch ball to mount a regular bike rack? I wish someone was selling such a solution. Even if limited in weight
Here's some inspiration for you. If tube bending and welding was in my wheelhouse, I might have gone this route. I even contacted M7 to see if they were interested in making one for the Taycan, got no response.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/M7-Speed/327-60-160201.html
Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Bike Rack download
Sponsored