Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment (PRSE) Information

sgimips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo, 2018 540d
Country flag
I haven't been able to find a lot of information about the PRSE system for the Taycan. What little I could find seems to refer to prior versions of this hardware in other Porsche models. I ordered my car with the preparation for the rear screens and ordered the screens themselves separately. I figured I'd start a thread about this with current information, and I'm happy to answer any questions about the functionality. I've used several versions of these sorts of OEM rear-seat systems in other makes, mostly BMW. I'm based in the US and I have no idea if this option looks or functions differently in other markets.

I'll take some more pictures of the system this weekend with the screens installed. The screens are solid and well built, and they do have fairly large bezels (which seems common for this stuff.) There's a single touch power button centered below the actual screen on each unit.

Q: What option is this?
A: The PRSE consists of two option codes, 9WU (Preparation for Rear Seat Entertainment) and AHY (Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment). 9WU should be ordered when the car is ordered. AHY, which is the code for the actual screens, can be ordered at the same time as the car or purchased separately. In my case, pricing was identical either way, and I ordered the screens separately because Porsche kicked off the AHY option code from the initial order.

The actual screens (option code AHY) are also available under the part number 9Y0-088-812-A which is confusingly just called "Retrofit Kit" in Porsche's parts database.

Q: What does it come with?
A: Just the mounts in the seat backs (9WU), a pair of screens (AHY), and a very simple user guide. No headphones, remotes, or other accessories.

Q: What ports are on the screens?
A: Standard HDMI in, 3.5mm headphone jack, and a single USB-C on each.

Q: Can media be played from a USB thumb drive connected to the USB port?
A: Nope. The single USB-C port is for charging a device only. It may also provide enough power for certain streaming HDMI devices.

Q: What sources are available for media?
A: Standard HDMI input, AirPlay from an iOS device (requires the screen and iOS device to be on the same Wi-Fi network), or Netflix via the built-in app (requires a Wi-Fi connection to a phone or hot spot).

Q: What is the current software version?
A: As of March 8, 2023 in the US: Software version 0009, Rear Seat Entertainment version R11.2.6

Q: Can I display the same video on both screens simultaneously?
A: According to the Quick Start Guide included with the screens (AHY), a future software update will add "CrossLink" which will enable "videos to be displayed on both screens via a direct WiFi connection" but as of software version 0009 and RSE version R11.2.6 this is not available. Until then, another option might be to uses an HDMI splitter to connect a single wired source to both screens.

Q: Can audio from the screens be played though the car's stereo?
A: Yes. Early software might not have this functionality but as of software version 0009 and RSE version R11.2.6 this is enabled. To do this you need to pair the rear screen via Bluetooth to the PCM, select the rear screen as the media source on the PCM, then on the rear screen tap the speaker icon on the left side to send the audio out to the PCM. This also appears to only work with one screen at a time. There's a setting on the rear screens to adjust the audio lag inherit with Bluetooth so that it'll sync up with the video.

Q: My Taycan came with Preparation for Rear Seat Entertainment (9WU), can I just buy the screens and install them myself?
A: No. The screens will need to be coded to the car. Without coding, the screens will not power on at all.

Q: Why not just use an iPad?
A: 🤷‍♂️

Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment (PRSE) Information IMG_3005

Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment (PRSE) Information IMG_3006

Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment (PRSE) Information IMG_3293

Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment (PRSE) Information IMG_3294

Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment (PRSE) Information IMG_3295

Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment (PRSE) Information IMG_3310

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgimips

sgimips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I installed the screens this weekend. The posts slide in about half way and there's no apparent click or latch but I did confirm they are fully seated and making contact with the pogo pins in the seat. They didn't turn on at all so I called my dealership's parts department and was told they needed to be coded to the car. I stopped by the service department today where they quickly confirmed again that coding needs be done. I have an appointment for March 7 to have that work performed.

Physically the screens don't block rear visibility (not that we have much of that as it is) but the screen on the passenger side does block a little bit of my view outside of the rear pasenger side window. They do stick out from the seat a few inches but can be tilted up or down quite a bit as a result. They don't seem to get in the way of entering/exiting the rear seat.

willyhilly

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
Hi all, was trying to find info on PRSE and found this thread. Due to the headrest situation, we can’t “just use an iPad” and Peppa Pig is a must. A few points I found out, no inbuilt speakers so they will only work with car audio, wired or bt speakers. Not laggy at all, Netflix app isn’t the best so just use mobile apps with airplay or chrome cast. The USB C port is charge only. The good thing is: there is a HDMI port, so my plan is to put a fire stick in the back, with usb storage and kodi to easily play the kids favourites without eating up data. If anyone is interested I can post the setup once done. Here is a photo of the screens.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment (PRSE) Information 73065810-F0B3-4C8C-9186-4BC8AA2C73C5

Porsche Taycan Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment (PRSE) Information 33E06942-E9B8-4BB5-B003-F1818234DD42

TheBuilder

First Name
Koko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover HSE, Chevy Colorado
Country flag
Hi all. Just took delivery couple days ago and we have the screens already installed but I haven’t been able to look into how to use them. I’m pretty text savvy and would definitely love to hear more info on the fire stick, and kodi method so if sjimips or whillyhilly can post how you accomplish this that would be fantastic.

Is it possible to airplay a downloaded Netflix show to both screens or just one?

Definitely, don’t think streaming is an option especially on longer rides

OP
OP
sgimips

sgimips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi all. Just took delivery couple days ago and we have the screens already installed but I haven’t been able to look into how to use them. I’m pretty text savvy and would definitely love to hear more info on the fire stick, and kodi method so if sjimips or whillyhilly can post how you accomplish this that would be fantastic.

Is it possible to airplay a downloaded Netflix show to both screens or just one?

Definitely, don’t think streaming is an option especially on longer rides
Finally have mine coded to work and spent some time with them today.

Seems like AirPlay can only connect to one screen at a time in iOS. According to the Quick Start Guide that came with the rear displays, "CrossLink" which allows "videos to be displayed on both screens via a direct WiFi connection" is coming via a future software update. I checked for updates on my displays today and it said there were none available.

Last edited:

JKY

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ5, 2023 Taycan GTS ST (Dec Delivery)
Country flag

Seems like AirPlay can only connect to one screen at a time in iOS. According to the Quick Start Guide that came with the rear displays, "CrossLink" which allows "videos to be displayed on both screens via a direct WiFi connection" is coming via a future software update. I checked for updates on my displays today and it said there were none available.
Oh you got airplay to work?! Do you have to use the car wifi to make that happen? Or can you be on cell data and still airplay to the screens?

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Most important question. How much did the whole thing cost? Did the dealer charge for coding?

Have 2 screens in the back, opportunist might think iPad and break window to grab one. Can you unlock and take or hide it easily?

-ThinkMac-

OP
OP
sgimips

sgimips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh you got airplay to work?! Do you have to use the car wifi to make that happen? Or can you be on cell data and still airplay to the screens?
It worked when I joined the screen (and you have to join them separately) to the wireless hotspot on my iPhone I was then able to see the screens under the "Screen Mirroring" section of Control Center. The phone still had a working cellular connection.

OP
OP
sgimips

sgimips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Most important question. How much did the whole thing cost? Did the dealer charge for coding?

Have 2 screens in the back, opportunist might think iPad and break window to grab one. Can you unlock and take or hide it easily?

-ThinkMac-
"Preparation for Rear Seat Entertainment" (option code 9WU) was a $420 option for late MY2022. The rear screens cost just under $2000 after taxes for the set and I seem to recall that the pricing was about the same for the option code to have them shipped with the car. I was not charged for coding since I purchased the car and screens from my dealership and they threw in the coding as a free extra... but they said it would normally cost around $150.

The screens could be removed by just pulling them straight out of the seat socket. That said, I've had various RSE systems in several cars over the years, all of which resembled iPads stuck on the seat backs, and not once has my car been broken into. *knock on wood* I usually have window tint, and currently do on my Taycan, so the screens are not all that visible from the outside either.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag

Crosslink being available soon in an update has been there since 2021 when they changed to this PRSE, heard that from my OPC They’re equally annoyed by it.

it’s absolutely rubbish compared to the system in my previous 2010 model Cayenne.

I’ve ranted elsewhere about it but in summary but the prep bit not the PREE itself until you hear they’ve sorted it out.

Jono

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, Ducati Panigale V4S
Country flag
Wouldn't an iPad be a more powerful, more flexible, and easier option?>

OP
OP
sgimips

sgimips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Crosslink being available soon in an update has been there since 2021 when they changed to this PRSE, heard that from my OPC They’re equally annoyed by it.

it’s absolutely rubbish compared to the system in my previous 2010 model Cayenne.

I’ve ranted elsewhere about it but in summary but the prep bit not the PREE itself until you hear they’ve sorted it out.
It's comical how limited these are compared to other RSE systems I've had experience with. 2012+ BMWs do a good job fully integrating the RSE into the rest of the in-car systems, though up until ~2020+ you could only interact with those systems using a remote as they were not touch-screen enabled. (But on the other hand you can tell the rear screens what to play from the driver's seat.)

The Taycan's RSE is essentially just a limited pair of media players with no control from the driver's seat. The left and right screens are not even linked together in any meaningful way. At a minimum these should have been capable of playing media off of a USB stick and I have some hope that it's wired internally such that a future update could enable that functionality. Not holding my breath of course.

There's a market here for someone to make an iPad holder which pulls power and the on/off sense wire from the seat connectors provided by the pre-wiring.

Wouldn't an iPad be a more powerful, more flexible, and easier option?>
I think the main roadblock here for most people is that there is no easy way to mount the iPad anywhere in the back since the Taycan doesn't have headrest posts. I've seen some people use a suction cup with an arm to mount an iPad to the glass roof on other EVs without headrest posts.

JKY

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It worked when I joined the screen (and you have to join them separately) to the wireless hotspot on my iPhone I was then able to see the screens under the "Screen Mirroring" section of Control Center. The phone still had a working cellular connection.
Thank you! Will try this out

JKY

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey, I did the following:
- Got the car and screens onto my personal hotspot
- Screen mirroring option did appear with the two rear screens as options to share to
- BUT then I couldn't find an app that would share to the screen. I tried Apple TV+, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix... and they all disabled the screen mirroring when I tried to play content

Was there an app that was working for you?

Thanks again,

Jason

OP
OP
sgimips

sgimips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey, I did the following:
- Got the car and screens onto my personal hotspot
- Screen mirroring option did appear with the two rear screens as options to share to
- BUT then I couldn't find an app that would share to the screen. I tried Apple TV+, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix... and they all disabled the screen mirroring when I tried to play content

Was there an app that was working for you?

Thanks again,

Jason
I was able to play videos and other media from my Files application and Photo library. I also had some other apps that support mirroring specifically (Screens 4 which is a VNC client, for example) and they worked as expected. I suspect the apps you listed specifically don't allow screen mirroring to prevent people from scraping their content. That's definitely the case for Netflix and is a limitation of the app itself.
Sponsored