Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Country flag
Porsche calls Taycan vehicles to the workshop

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2021/products/porsche-taycan-recall-24987.html

July 2, 2021

Porsche is reviewing and updating the software for the power electronics and the engine control unit on approximately 43,000 units of Taycan and Taycan Cross Turismo vehicles from the 2020 to 2021 model years, of which about 3,400 are in Germany.

In case of the affected vehicles, there is the possibility that in certain instances a shutdown of the power train, resulting in loss of motive power may be triggered incorrectly and sporadically. A software update will be installed in the workshop.

The issue was already remedied in the ongoing series. Owners of the affected vehicles can continue to use them and will be contacted directly by their responsible Porsche partner. A workshop appointment that will be free of charge should take place as soon as possible and the software update will take about an hour.
Sponsored

EarlOfCarrick

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ran into this error the other day. I wonder if it's the same problem.

Fortunately, I was sitting at a red light when it happened. Once this error appeared, the accelerator did nothing. Changing "gears" (D/N/R) did nothing.

I turned off the car using the power button, then I turned it back on. Everything worked. I haven't had the problem since then. I reported this to my dealer, and he said that they hadn't seen it before.

Porsche Taycan Porsche recalls 43K Taycan and Cross Turismo due to possible powertrain shutdown / loss of power 20210625_Taycan 4S Engine Control Erorr_WCK_0001

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I assume you locked the other thread. Thanks for this.

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
I ran into this error the other day. I wonder if it's the same problem.

Fortunately, I was sitting at a red light when it happened. Once this error appeared, the accelerator did nothing. Changing "gears" (D/N/R) did nothing.

I turned off the car using the power button, then I turned it back on. Everything worked. I haven't had the problem since then. I reported this to my dealer, and he said that they hadn't seen it before.

20210625_Taycan 4S Engine Control Erorr_WCK_0001.jpg
Yes, it’s the same problem. I got mine updated a weekend ago.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche is reviewing and updating the software for the power electronics and the engine control unit on approximately 43,000 units of Taycan and Taycan Cross Turismo vehicles from the 2020 to 2021 model years, of which about 3,400 are in Germany.
Well at least it's not a fleet grounding stop-sale. Question is just how quickly they can implement the solution to the customer base, and how effective the solution is....

I'm assuming they've been working on this for weeks to months since the earliest reports, but it's taken Porsche software developers this long to push something out...

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I hope NHTSA gets to the bottom of the this because there are many unanswered questions:

- Have they fully addressed the power loss issue or just one root cause of it? The recall seems to address the "Motor Control error" and "Engine Computer error" but probably not the "electrical error" which is 10-20% of the reported complaints. The latter might be hardware-related. It is good that NHTSA in the docs and the interviews they emphasize on the electrical error.

- How long has Porsche been aware of this bug? Why didn't they recall sooner? When the NHTSA investigation was initially announced, some members of this forum had already received the DME and PE patch which suggests that Porsche already knew about the issue. At that time their PR announcement responded to the investigation that that the vehicles remain safe to drive, which is contradicted by the need for a recall.

- The Porsche NA CEO said only 20 cars have experienced the issue. Well he should take a look at the NHTSA site, there are at least 35 complaints about power loss. He is either downplaying the issue or it is actually ~20 and the other ~15 had power loss due to other problems which goes back to my first bullet point.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de...-fehler-motor-schaltet-waehrend-der-fahrt-ab/

Der Bug tritt offenbar nur sehr selten auf und ist kaum reproduzierbar. Daher blieb er so lange unentdeckt.

The bug apparently only occurs very rarely and is hardly reproducible. That is why it remained undiscovered for so long.

Aktuell hätten nur 0,3 Prozent der bisher 43.000 weltweit verkauften Taycan oder Taycan Cross Turismo (davon 3400 in Deutschland) Fehlfunktionen gemeldet, die von der fehlerhaften Software ausgelöst sein könnten – das wären gerade mal 130 Autos.

Currently, only 0.3 percent of the 43,000 Taycans or Taycan Cross Turismos sold worldwide to date (including 3,400 in Germany) have reported malfunctions that could have been triggered by the faulty software - that would be just 130 cars.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The recall is now up on the NHTSA site

Some quick notes from these two docs:
  • Number of potentially affected vehicles in the US: 10,373
  • Porsche's number for this recall is AMB5
  • Vehicles manufactured on or after June 25, 2021 are equipped with new software.
  • Planned dealer and owner notification date: Aug 27 2021
  • The new Software version for the PE module is 0012

FYI 0012 is the version that some owners who experienced the issue have received already.

Last edited:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The recall is now up on the NHTSA site

Some quick notes from these two docs:
  • Number of potentially affected vehicles in the US: 10,373
  • Porsche's number for this recall is AMB5
  • Vehicles manufactured on or after June 25, 2021 are equipped with new software that helps prevent the subject condition from occurring.
  • Planned dealer and owner notification date: Aug 27 2021
  • The new Software version for the PE module is 0012

FYI 0012 is the version that some owners who experienced the issue have received already.
Man - mine exited production on 6/22, so missing that by a few days. Does anybody know whether that just means they will update the car at the dealership before they deliver it to me?

Is the PE module version something one can easily check as a driver/user?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Man - mine exited production on 6/22, so missing that by a few days. Does anybody know whether that just means they will update the car at the dealership before they deliver it to me?

I believe dealers are required to perform all open recalls before selling a car. Your car most likely will be updated before it is delivered to you. You can always ask the dealer about it. The update should show up in your car's service history.
No, you cannot see the PE version.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
“Planned dealer and owner notification date: Aug 27 2021”

Ok, I have a serious problem with that. If they know the car is at risk of a shutdown while driving and they have a fix, it should not be 8 weeks before customers can get it.

i have two long trips planned this summer and this is making me uncomfortable.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
“Planned dealer and owner notification date: Aug 27 2021”

Ok, I have a serious problem with that. If they know the car is at risk of a shutdown while driving and they have a fix, it should not be 8 weeks before customers can get it.

i have two long trips planned this summer and this is making me uncomfortable.
I wouldn't worry. According to Porsche 130 cars out of 43k have been affected. I guess it has a been a few more, but it is still a very small number. They also claim no accidents happened and from this forum we know, that switching the car on/off gets it going again.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well at least it's not a fleet grounding stop-sale. Question is just how quickly they can implement the solution to the customer base, and how effective the solution is....

I'm assuming they've been working on this for weeks to months since the earliest reports, but it's taken Porsche software developers this long to push something out...
@KTC - This appears to be the same cause the the Stop Sale on my MY2021 Taycan 4s that was corrected last week. The fix was implements on Monday 6/28 and I picked it up on Tuesday 6/29.

See this LINK for details.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

They will update at the dealer before you pick it up - that's what happened to me. See this LINK.
Sponsored