ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A very nice description by Jason Fenske (Engineering Explained) of PSCB (Porsche Surface Coated Brakes). He is showing a Cayenne but it's the same brakes as is standard on the turbo and optional on the 4S.

Porsche Reinvents The Brake Rotor - No Rust, Low Dust, No Fade!
Sponsored

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
£11,000 to replace them if they need replacing - no thank you :)

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I know of people that just replace the brakes with non-ceramics instead of paying for new ceramic rotors on their 911.

But without a breakdown on rotor, pad, caliper costs in those quotes, who knows.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Had I been more interested in driving the Taycan on a track maybe I would have upgraded the brakes. And with regen I don't see the rotor getting as much wear-n-tear other vehicles do.

Anyone purchasing a more expensive part today must understand that it'll be a more expensive part to replace in the future, too.

Mike V

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
918, Taycan GTS ST, Tesla Model S P100D
Country flag
Had I been more interested in driving the Taycan on a track maybe I would have upgraded the brakes. And with regen I don't see the rotor getting as much wear-n-tear other vehicles do.
Indeed.

A major reason to include PSCB or PCCB as the only brakes on the Taycan range is because neither of them are susceptible to rust.

My wife's Tesla Model S P100D uses the friction brakes when slowing finally to a stop and that seems to keep the brake rotors somewhat free of rust.

The Taycan braking recuperation system uses even less friction braking and would be more prone to rotor surface rust than would be common for Tesla.

Also, PSCB is apparently just as dust-free as PCCB. No downside.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Indeed.

A major reason to include PSCB or PCCB as the only brakes on the Taycan range is because neither of them are susceptible to rust.

My wife's Tesla Model S P100D uses the friction brakes when slowing finally to a stop and that seems to keep the brake rotors somewhat free of rust.

The Taycan braking recuperation system uses even less friction braking and would be more prone to rotor surface rust than would be common for Tesla.

Also, PSCB is apparently just as dust-free as PCCB. No downside.
Though dust and braking ability are similar, there are trade-offs between Porsche PSCB and PCCB.

Lower cost is the major advantage of the Silicon-Carbide brakes (PSCB).

Less un-sprung weight, better braking, and better acceleration (less mass to spin up or slow down) are the major advantages of the Ceramic Composite brakes (PCCB).

Am a huge fan of less un-sprung weight - for any given spring stiffness, less un-sprung weight is a more comfortable ride. Was surprised to see the 10 kg (22 lb.) lower weight of the Turbo S until realizing it was most likely the lighter ceramic brakes, especially since the maximum gross weight of the Turbo S is exactly 10 kg less than the Turbo (the suspension is the maximum weight-limiting factor and moving 10 kg from un-sprung weight lowers the maximum gross weight).

Last edited:

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Is that true? That does not sound correct to me. I heard it is more like £2,500....

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Though dust and braking ability are similar, there are trade-offs between Porsche PSCB and PCCB.

Lower cost is the major advantage of the Silicon-Carbide brakes (PSCB).

Less un-sprung weight, better braking, and better acceleration (less mass to spin up or slow down) are the major advantages of the Ceramic Composite brakes (PCCB).

Am a huge fan of less un-sprung weight - for any given spring stiffness, less un-sprung weight is a more comfortable ride. Was surprised to see the 10 kg (22 lb.) lower weight of the Turbo S until realizing it was most likely the lighter ceramic brakes, especially since the maximum gross weight of the Turbo S is exactly 10 kg less than the Turbo (the suspension is the maximum weight-limiting factor and moving 10 kg from un-sprung weight lowers the maximum gross weight).
The PCCBs drop more than 10kg. The 10kg is the drop in weight in brakes + add back heavier wheel weight since the Turbo S comes with standard, wider 21s vs the 20s on the turbo. No way to know exactly how much unless/until someone weighs each set of wheels/tires.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
The PCCBs drop more than 10kg. The 10kg is the drop in weight in brakes + add back heavier wheel weight since the Turbo S comes with standard, wider 21s vs the 20s on the turbo. No way to know exactly how much unless/until someone weighs each set of wheels/tires.
FWIW, Dan Edmunds weighed the 20" tires/wheels from a Taycan 4S in his suspension overview

He found that the front wheel/tire was 61 lbs, and the rear was 69.5 lbs (per wheel/tire).

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
FWIW, Dan Edmunds weighed the 20" tires/wheels from a Taycan 4S in his suspension overview

He found that the front wheel/tire was 61 lbs, and the rear was 69.5 lbs (per wheel/tire).
There's half our answer ... anyone with 21s wanna weigh their wheels?
Sponsored