Porsche released the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach today

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This sketch was sent in a Taycan insider email from Porsche on 3/8/19:

"Our start to 2019 is charged with excitement. This is the year when the first all-electric Porsche will become a reality. The Taycan is certain to enthrall not only test drivers, but also our customers with its performance. When it rolls off the production line and onto the roads, it will offer a true dynamic Porsche driving experience like every Porsche before it.

Finishing work on the assembly line in Zuffenhausen is entering the final straight and the expansion of charging infrastructure worldwide is advancing at a great pace. The historic main manufacturing center is being made fit for the automotive production of the future, as the outside world is preparing for a new standard in charging performance – typical of Porsche, the best in its class. All preparations are underway for a successful start for the Taycan.

To keep you dreaming about the Taycan on public roads, we have also brought you the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach. As you can see, the rest of 2019 looks very exciting! We look forward to sharing these experiences together with you."

"Bring home the new Taycan today, as a wallpaper exclusively for your desktop."

https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpo...ying-lines/usa~en-us~e-performance-wallpaper/

I was nervous about the way the test mules look, but that no longer applies!

Porsche Taycan Porsche released the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach today porsche-wallpaper
Porsche Taycan Porsche released the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach today porsche-wallpaper-2

bladerskb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
I hate to break it to you but these two sketches look nothing alike. They made it look like a regular car now, as it no longer looks like a race car with a lower front end.

Porsche Taycan Porsche released the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach today fbTzdwK

Porsche Taycan Porsche released the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach today wCgAQSi

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
"Bring home the new Taycan today, as a wallpaper exclusively for your desktop."

https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpo...ying-lines/usa~en-us~e-performance-wallpaper/

I was nervous about the way the test mules look, but that no longer applies!

porsche-wallpaper.jpg
porsche-wallpaper-2.jpg
It seems to match the profile of the Taycan's teaser pics they released last year (in the Soul Electrified video)

It seems to be a potential reveal of the detailing of the Taycan. I'm very happy to see the sketches maintain a sporty profile and silhouette.

Very much a four-door supercar as opposed to a four-door saloon!

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
It seems to match the profile of the Taycan's teaser pics they released last year (in the Soul Electrified video)

It seems to be a potential reveal of the detailing of the Taycan. I'm very happy to see the sketches maintain a sporty profile and silhouette.

Very much a four-door supercar as opposed to a four-door saloon!
I agree. The sketches are outstanding.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
I agree. The sketches are outstanding.
Yeah. Although, of course, in sketches cars tend to usually look much sportier and sleeker than in actual life, with sometimes exaggerated proportions being used, which gives me a little pause.

However, the teaser images of the Taycan by Porsche reveal the silhouette (a photo) which is very sporty, and I trust it will look as sporty as this in photos and the flesh - if it helps, translate the detailing on these sketches onto the silhouette we know that the Taycan will have, keeping in mind the dimensions which we also know, and it will look stunning.

Also, hard angle to see, but it looks as though the front fender will curve over the wheel still, which is very good, not a generic Panamera front fender from the Taycan mules. I liked the integrated spoiler, but the rear end still looks very nice, very sleek, the rear spoiler still seems to jut out, giving the rear of the 4-door supercar a much more pronounced look

Also I hope those powerful front and rear hips are genuine for production, and not creative license by the artist

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Wait something just occurred to me:

The rear ends of the Taycan in the sketch and the teaser look very different. In the teaser, the image is dark but I've done my best to highlight it, there's the integrated spoiler we saw on the Mission E.

However, in the sketch, it appears to show a smooth deck? It's an obvious source of conflict, and one which I've been very confused about, very baffled about.

I really like the integrated spoiler, so I'm hoping it's an omission on the part of the sketch

EDIT: On the teaser image my highlighting attempt, I've accidentally obscured the front mirrors, the second picture is of the Taycan

Porsche Taycan Porsche released the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach today porsche-wallpaper-2

Porsche Taycan Porsche released the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach today Porsche-Taycan

GyAkUsOu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A1 GB
Country flag
I don’t want to be THAT guy but these sketches look a lot closer to the mules/prototypes we saw a few weeks ago and less like the original Mission E.

Just look a at the bigger/wider air intakes at the front. Same shape. The whole front section/bumper looks the same on the sketches and the mules. Especially the part where the license plate is mounted.

The wheel arches/fender is similar and toned down compared to the Mission E. And as @bladerskb said the front is quite a bit higher on the sketches now.

Porsche Taycan Porsche released the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach today porsche-taycan-prototype-_sb18017-

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
I don’t want to be THAT guy but these sketches look a lot closer to the mules/prototypes we saw a few weeks ago and less like the original Mission E.

Just look a at the bigger/wider air intakes at the front. Same shape. The whole front section/bumper looks the same on the sketches and the mules. Especially the part where the license plate is mounted.

The wheel arches/fender is similar and toned down compared to the Mission E. And as @bladerskb said the front is quite a bit higher on the sketches now.

porsche-taycan-prototype-_sb18017-jpg.jpg
Hmm.. not quite. I'm going to have to disagree, I'm afraid. Some of the detailing (bumpers etc.) are the same, yes, but the overall stance is much closer to the Mission E than the mules. That front fender curve especially - how it curves over the front wheels, especially if you see the teaser images the front fender is noticeably curved, unlike the mules which have ruler-straight front fenders

hawc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf R
Country flag
Ridiculously low roof lines and swollen wheels can make anything look sexy. Those sketches are basically pointless. Especially when we have real shots of the final car driving around with just a few pieces of tape on the lights.

TTV8 S6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi S5, 2014 Audi S6, 2009 Mini Cooper S
Country flag
I thought they might do away with the side view mirrors? Read somewhere that cameras will be in place and images will be projected inside the cockpit? Nevertheless, the car will be impressive. With the buzz going around a lot of pressure will be on them. Especially on their debut!

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyone know when these sketches were put on the Porsche website?
March 8th

"To keep you dreaming about the Taycan on public roads, we have also brought you the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach. "

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am the OP ;)

It was part of my Taycan insider email from Porsche:

"Our start to 2019 is charged with excitement. This is the year when the first all-electric Porsche will become a reality. The Taycan is certain to enthrall not only test drivers, but also our customers with its performance. When it rolls off the production line and onto the roads, it will offer a true dynamic Porsche driving experience like every Porsche before it.

Finishing work on the assembly line in Zuffenhausen is entering the final straight and the expansion of charging infrastructure worldwide is advancing at a great pace. The historic main manufacturing center is being made fit for the automotive production of the future, as the outside world is preparing for a new standard in charging performance – typical of Porsche, the best in its class. All preparations are underway for a successful start for the Taycan.

To keep you dreaming about the Taycan on public roads, we have also brought you the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach. As you can see, the rest of 2019 looks very exciting! We look forward to sharing these experiences together with you."

Based on their wording in the email as well as on the wallpaper page and how far along they are in the design process it would be rather strange of them to release a wallpaper that is drastically different from the final version.

Is it a teaser? Certainly. Is it going to be exactly like the sketch? No. But it's much better looking than the test mules and different enough from the Mission E that it's fair to say it's closer to the final version.

I don't think Porsche is going to introduce their first electric car (something so different from the norm and something so tied to the future) looking like a Panamera or looking like those test mules. It will be a statement or it will fail.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Ridiculously low roof lines and swollen wheels can make anything look sexy. Those sketches are basically pointless. Especially when we have real shots of the final car driving around with just a few pieces of tape on the lights.
Those are just mules with tape on, I'd place more trust in the teaser images of the Taycan from the 'Soul, Electrified' video. We can see that the low roofline and swollen wheels mostly make it to the final car.

That said, the teaser images are really dark, revealing only the silhouette. The detailing could well be from the sketches of the Taycan released. As the OP said, Porsche wouldn't introduce their first electric car looking like a Panamera or the test mules - especially since people have put deposits on the car expecting it to look either identical to the Mission E or at least similar enough to the Mission E - not like the test mules.
Sponsored