tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
My next door neighbour got an Emira a few weeks ago. Very good looking IMO and sounds great.
I haven't tried the Emira or seen it yet in person, but the YouTube videos have me salivating... I like how small it looks, and the simplicity of it. Have been resisting going for a test drive as I knew I'd be weak and put money down for it there and then...

Was already grumbling about how large the 992 was, how expensive it is, and how tall the gear ratios are in its manual (more than 110 km/h in 2nd gear on Carrera S!). Porsche pushing prices even higher is just a step too far
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Genuine question - realistically, do you think your Taycan will last you 8-10 years? Just taking into account all the different sorts of issues that have been discovered and new ones cropping up fairly frequently.
No.
Edit: In the 14 months I have had my 22 4S, it needed a new heater ($1800) and a new hv on-board charger ($1600). Although covered under warranty the labor cost was at least $1000-$1500 each time. Imagine what those non-warranty costs will be in the future, Not to mention time for parts availability. $5,000 - $6,000 repair costs a year? I like the car, but keep it for 8 to 10 years? no, thanks.

Last edited:

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche and all others is still to reliant on China microchips
With what will the Chinese eat them up?
Not only chips, the chinese companies make most of the batteries, motor magnets and better software. Their EV's are superior to those from the germans and cheaper.

We'll buy Porsche for brand name, design, but technologically they have to play the catch up game.

Or maybe I'm wrong and Porsche will build superior sports EV's. (with high resolution rear camera)

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Genuine question - realistically, do you think your Taycan will last you 8-10 years? Just taking into account all the different sorts of issues that have been discovered and new ones cropping up fairly frequently.
I’ve had zero issues with my car, and Porsche always stands behind their product. Unless I have a battery failure, I’m confident it will go 10 years.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
It certainly can, if you are making sufficiently more profit per car!
The point was that you could raise profits per unit while demand is greater than production. ?

Ferrari and Porsche entered to road car market from opposite ends, with Porsche basically starting off tuning Volkswagens and moving up market later whereas Ferrari started making tiny numbers of race pedigree road cars at huge prices to fund their racing and "mass producing" much more recently.

Porsche have gone way further up market than I personally ever thought they would already.
I began typing a more sensible answer, but it's not the first time that one of your posts casts a very slanted view of Porsche and their history. (Flicks off the safety on the flame thrower.)

Ferrari was an arrogant peasant who stole his employer's design, went racing with it and found some success amid modest competition. His strike of genius was finding the right color (and shade of it) to "instill passion" and then milk gullible celebrities of the money required to fund the next race. Insidiously, the same "passion" worked out well for shirking out of paying his drivers more than a pittance. The same philosophy (or, rather, myth) is perpetuated by the company to present day, where they have built a formidable apparel business that they use to finance a mediocre racing effort (well, it's improving) and selling a handful of shoddy, fragile road cars - that somehow are gaudier still than the apparel they're promoting.

(How am I tracking?)

Meanwhile, on the other side, Porsche as a clan have invented the electro-mobile, the mid-engine racing car layout (with Auto Union), the "light robust cars win endurance races" approach long before Chapman rode a trike, and the supercar for the road concept - meaning something that you _can_ drive even if it's not a sunny Sunday. They've arguably been more successful at the racing they do than Ferrari, throughout their respective history. (Not a lot of apparel making, though even that is more utility-focused like, say, a rain jacket.)

Where exactly was the "right" point up the market where Porsche should have stopped?

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Would your price be fixed when you placed the order?
IDK about the UK but i would imagine signing a purchase order with a set price locks you in. This isn't Tesla where the MSRP for a model year fluctuates. Generally speaking in the US at least, the MSRP remains the same for a model year.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
IDK about the UK but i would imagine signing a purchase order with a set price locks you in. This isn't Tesla where the MSRP for a model year fluctuates. Generally speaking in the US at least, the MSRP remains the same for a model year.
Sort of. You sign an intent to purchase, but that is not a binding agreement for either party until the dealer gets an allocation (ie the manufacturer commits to build something on that dealer's order). At that point the price is fixed. Indeed the MSRP is constant for a MY, but the risk is sliding into the next MY while waiting for that allocation.

(Exactly this happened about a year ago, and that was the first price increase for the Taycan model line.)

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Not quite - you place a deposit but the price can be raised between then and your build locking.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Not quite - you place a deposit but the price can be raised between then and your build locking.
By the dealer sure, but my agreement with my dealer has me locked in at MSRP and no ADM.

Reactions: B61

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I may be naive, but I suspect most of the issues with these vehicles will crop up in the first few years rather than 6-8 years down the line.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not only chips, the chinese companies make most of the batteries, motor magnets and better software. Their EV's are superior to those from the germans and cheaper.

We'll buy Porsche for brand name, design, but technologically they have to play the catch up game.

Or maybe I'm wrong and Porsche will build superior sports EV's. (with high resolution rear camera)
Wake me up when the Chinese make a desirable product that they didn't first rip off somebody else. They have a long way to go to make a car that an enthusiast would want to buy, and I don't think Porsche and the Chinese are swimming in the same pond right now. VW may be a different story.

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
We have another car on order and just checked with Dealer and yes price cannot be fixed meaning it will increase but you can get deposit refund prior to lock in date if increase not acceptable

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
Wake me up when the Chinese make a desirable product that they didn't first rip off somebody else. They have a long way to go to make a car that an enthusiast would want to buy, and I don't think Porsche and the Chinese are swimming in the same pond right now. VW may be a different story.
Its not the car but the semiconductors could be a problem as we have seen during Corvid period