Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I think it means that MY24 Taycan might get power enhancements if mainly a software tweak, because an improved MY24 wouldn't risk adversely impacting previous MY's residuals as much if it comes at significantly higher prices.
The car looks near perfect and drives second to none in its class , I wouldn’t pay anymore. Some of the upgrades should be through OTA and it’s not probable that battery range will be anything earth shatteringly different
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Wow. I am more surprised that the person would park this in a garage where other owners could ding it. Or maybe they own the two spaces next to it to.
It's like PPF, though maybe not self-healing. You just glue on another handful of Swarovski glass bits.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
BMW just announce a price freeze and they will stop passing cost increases to consumers.
Here they lower prices even further and the local district gov hands out extra 1450 USD for every car purchase, even for ICEs!

In the EU the prices however are insane. A fully loaded EQA 250+ costs 58k (70.5 kWh) here a fully loaded EQE 350 (96.1 kWh) costs 65k.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I do think it depends what the customer wants.
Certainly plenty of people would like a car that largely drives itself and is in many ways like a mobile phone but some don't.

I have owned cars for decades that certainly could not be updated over the internet and were none the worse for it.

I enjoy driving and am a nervous passenger even with a skilled driver, any of the almost automatic car over-riding the driver scare me witless - far worse than driving with an incompetant driver, and I find driving a car myself, with only a hands free phone to receive urgent calls, the most relaxing.

The only "automation" I find OK, because I know what to expect and don't get scary surprises, is standard cruise control.

So, so called advances in "tech" are of little interest to me, and whilst I know my taste is unusual I'd be surprised if it were unique.
When I talk about tech, I include battery as well es power electronics and electric motor.

BMW seem to have a very good electric motor design now, since their consumption values are quite low. The new developments in power electronics are also helping to get more distance out of a charge. And the battery mostly around the engineering part, i.e. cell to pack, cell to chassis, new cooling tech, etc, can also bring larger batteries into the same space while reducing the weight of the car.

Lighter, more range, faster charging, longer life - all these techs are what every driver of an EV wants. I guess, this includes you, doesn't it?

As for the self driving: I found it mostly useless here in the big cities, because self driving cars cannot overtake and frequently break the speed limit, which is required here! Yes, we have plenty of drivers on the phone driving way below the limit, and yes, we have plenty of speed limits which are idiotic, like the 33 km/h sign...

But when you stuck in traffic or on a longer stretch on a highway, sometimes just letting the car drive and take a break is bliss, IMHO.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
When I talk about tech, I include battery as well es power electronics and electric motor.

BMW seem to have a very good electric motor design now, since their consumption values are quite low. The new developments in power electronics are also helping to get more distance out of a charge. And the battery mostly around the engineering part, i.e. cell to pack, cell to chassis, new cooling tech, etc, can also bring larger batteries into the same space while reducing the weight of the car.

Lighter, more range, faster charging, longer life - all these techs are what every driver of an EV wants. I guess, this includes you, doesn't it?

As for the self driving: I found it mostly useless here in the big cities, because self driving cars cannot overtake and frequently break the speed limit, which is required here! Yes, we have plenty of drivers on the phone driving way below the limit, and yes, we have plenty of speed limits which are idiotic, like the 33 km/h sign...

But when you stuck in traffic or on a longer stretch on a highway, sometimes just letting the car drive and take a break is bliss, IMHO.
It is about 55 years now since my Electrical Engineering lectures at Imperial College which were taken by an eccentric older engineer who was involved in the engineering of the traction system of the London Underground.
He made it clear that, in his opinion, IC engines were rubbish because if you try to take 101bhp out of a 100bhp motor it stalls whereas an electric motor just runs a bit warmer and how long you "over-rate" it is limited only by how hot you will allow it to get.
I suspect the drivetrain efficiency of EVs is strongly related to this fact, so anybody realising most of the time the load cycle of an EV is a tiny proportion of its peak to make lighter more compact efficient motors. How long they can produce high powers will then depend a lot on how clever the cooling system is. For normal cars this is a no brainer, for a car going to track days otoh...

Electric motors are efficient anyway and we have had over 100 years of battery development so, whilst this will obviously continue, it seems unlikely to me there will be a breakthrough in weight or capacity without the discovery of a new technology, steady improvement yes, big step unlikely IMO.

Production engineering is another thing though.
The Porsche appealed to me partly because of the modular way the battery is designed. This means servicing the battery is intended and practical rather than complete replacement and if Porsche stick to their ethos they will continue to be functional for a long time and maybe/probably be able to incorporate new technology cells.

I have heard of other car traction batteries being foam filled and not sevicable, which is worryingly like deliberate obsolesence.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Production engineering is another thing though.
The Porsche appealed to me partly because of the modular way the battery is designed. This means servicing the battery is intended and practical rather than complete replacement and if Porsche stick to their ethos, which is a concern with shareholders, they will continue to be functional for a long time and maybe/probably be able to incorporate new technology cells.
I like Porsche modular design throughout the car, not just a modular battery. Having separate ECU's dedicated to their function, while interconnected with each other agrees with my design philosophy - much easier to get things working and validated, over a single giant computer doing everything in the car - the Tesla appraoch, which others are trying to copy as it does make for lower parts and manufacturing costs, not realizing it makes the software so much more complex and therefore exponentially harder to validate. But all high level managers see is "software is free to replicate for each car", so their math is "$10 part for a car x millions of cars is 10's of millions of dollars, so you can spend 10 million on software to eliminate that $10 part". They forget that maintaining this complex software costs money too, every release.

I have heard of other car traction batteries being foam filled and not sevicable, which is worryingly like deliberate obsolesence.
All new Tesla batteries are like that. Their original batteries can be serviced all the way down to a single cell. While it might seem counter intuitive, or planned obsolescence, this non-serviceable battery actually does make some sense and may lead to a lot more, not less, re-usability. The idea is this - each battery is has some expected life span. After that, rather than repair it to extend its lifespan for a bit, then discard it, the battery is constructed such that it can be discharged and fed into a giant grinder without further disassembly, producing on the other side what can be considered an ultra-rich ore, from which you can extract individual elements for new battery production. The battery is purpose built to be ground into this ultra-rich ore, and these non-serviceable batteries are cheaper to produce, therefore cheaper to replace. This actually results is very high reusability of the battery materials, higher than fixing batteries and then discarding them because they are too expensive to disassemble to recycle. Perhaps a good compromise would be to have grindable modules installed in a frame? I don't know, but it does seem like Tesla has given it some thorough thought. Tesla ex-CTO started a company dedicated to recycling those batteries.

Last edited:

18rohit23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 taycan 4s
Country flag
The one thing I will mention regarding potential delays and price increase is I had a '22 4s ordered in march with a July build/august delivery. This was later pushed back to a '23 and the price increased a few thousand. Because I originally ordered a 22 and it got pushed back to 23 the dealer I had ordered from contacted Porsche North America and got the difference refunded on the day I took delivery of my car. This is obviously a case by case basis but just incase this potentially happens to any of you in the future I implore you to talk to your dealership about this. They will not volunteer to do this and is something you should mention.

AutobahnGTS

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Model S 100D, Model 3P
Country flag
I have a hard time believing that a „significant price increase“ is actually coming this year.

The Taycan is pretty „old“ by now, and a quick google search as well as asking your local dealer will reveal, that a facelifted version is due to be revealed in 2024.
The updates since the start (eg. DCU on the front axle) are relatively poorly communicated, so most new buyers will likely think “I am buying 2019 tech with this car”.

Porsche did not have the best 2022 regarding sales and deliveries of the taycan. Porsche says it’s the shortage of supplies, I don’t know if that’s the only reason.
Tesla has sold more vehicles in the US than the entirety of Volkswagen has last year.
VW and Mercedes just had to slash prices in china due to lackluster demand.
Tesla did the same in the US.

I don’t want to paint a bleak future, I just don’t see how a “significant price hike” would be at all realistic in the current situation.

Makes more sense to have the price go up with a potential facelift, where I am getting new things (like a larger battery).
Sponsored