Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
That said, I like some braking on my accelerator as it is a convenient way to keep constant speed in highways, especially with varying elevations.
They should make a function on the car where you just press a button and the car maintains your current speed for you.

Nobody steal that. That’s my idea. Mine.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
It's not.
Depends! If 1 pedal has a very clear and easy to use function, where the car is coasting, than it is the same. Have you seen one? The 1 pedal in my MS90D is junk, because you always need to step on it. In my Taycan, half the time I drive, I don't use any of the pedals. Call it 0 pedal driving! ;)

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I am glad they give you a choice. They even give you an auto mode if anyone prefers that (I don’t). I don’t care coasting is more efficient, I just prefer not constantly having to brake going downhill (I live up the hill) to control the speed that’d otherwise exceed speed limit in free coasting.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
They should make a function on the car where you just press a button and the car maintains your current speed for you.

Nobody steal that. That’s my idea. Mine.
Ha ha, I tried using Porsche ADAS. I optioned everything up to Innodrive. It didn't feel me with a lot of confidence. As a matter of fact, one big thing it is missing is what is often called in the industry an "ADAS confidence view", i.e. a visualization showing you what objects, lane markings, traffic signs, etc, the ADAS computer is aware of. I will get back to it and try it again some time, but driving a brand new car straight off the lot on a cross country trip, I gave if a few tries and decided to just manually keep my speed and stay in the lane.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I don’t care coasting is more efficient, I just prefer not constantly having to brake going downhill
I think the point is to acknowledge coasting is more efficient, not that coasting is a better mode.

Better depends on what you’re optimizing for. If you’re optimizing how the car feels and it feels better with overrun recup on….then coasting is not better.

It’s also more efficient to accelerate moderately than to use launch control.

I still use launch control.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I think the point is to acknowledge coasting is more efficient, not that coasting is a better mode.

Better depends on what you’re optimizing for. If you’re optimizing how the car feels and it feels better with overrun recup on….then coasting is not better.

I am fully acknowledged that coasting is more efficient and that everyone can choose whatever mode one prefers, which is a plus. And that's exactly what I stated.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
It baffles me that we keep having these regen vs coasting threads. Yes, coasting is the most efficient. In all cases.
You've seen what passes for science education in some places? ;)

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
I am glad they give you a choice. They even give you an auto mode if anyone prefers that (I don’t). I don’t care coasting is more efficient, I just prefer not constantly having to brake going downhill (I live up the hill) to control the speed that’d otherwise exceed speed limit in free coasting.
Our Audi has paddles that are used to select one of three levels of regen. It's convenient to use, and I usually use some amount of non-brake-pedal regen to moderate the speed.

I have a downhill stretch to transit before turning into our neighborhood. If there's no one behind, and I'm in the mood, I'll try to crest the hill with the exact kinetic energy state that cause the e-tron to achieve the posted speed limit at the bottom of the hill. I still haven't nailed it yet.

Even better would be to manage the energy such that I don't have to brake to make the >90º turn into our subdivision, after reaching the bottom of the hill, and traveling up the next for 200 yards before the entrance. Traffic would have to be nearly non-existent to pull that off.

Yes, I'm a nerd sometimes.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag

Yep, they are all key points.
It could be inferred from the default settings for each Driving Mode that Porsche expect a preference for coasting when driving normally, and for overrun recup when driving sportily (which of course is also when launch control is available). For me, the Taycan is primarily a "driving sportily" car (I can't bring myself to call it a sports car :) ), but I appreciate the option of coasting on the less common occasions that I'm able to maintain a fairly constant speed for longer periods.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I think this whole discussion risks becoming over exaggerated.

The differences are small.
1 pedal driving isn't as efficient as coasting but it isn't hideously inefficient.

Adding a bit of regen on liftoff to make the car feel more similar to an IC engine isn't as efficient as coasting, but not by a huge amount.

The difference is not vast though and unless trying to eke out the most miles possible just choose the one you like the feel of.

Coasting is the most efficient by a small margin so is the default and, IMHO, worth getting used to.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
True. However if efficiency on default was the primary goal, shouldn't the car default to Range mode?
I believe the default is whatever the car settings are for whatever mandatory testing the vehicle has to have.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I believe the default is whatever the car settings are for whatever mandatory testing the vehicle has to have.
Ok, therefore we cannot use the argument that if it's in default more then it must be the most efficient setting (or Range mode would have been the default).

As a side note, after 3,500 miles (~5,600km) my Taycan estimates 188 miles of range at 100% SoC (extrapolated, I typically charge to 85%), which is slightly less that I expected (I was thinking 220 miles on winter tires in the winter). Hoping it improves, otherwise it would mean the brand new Taycan cannot beat the range of an 8 year old Model S with similar power (Tesla Ludicrous mode) and a smaller battery.
Sponsored