kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I've been testing this on mine and I've found that coasting is far far more efficient than the recuperation mode, especially if you are also aware that you just need to touch the brakes when going downhill to get a bit of recup and slow down slightly, whilst still maintaining good progress

kurand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, Lotus Elise S1
Country flag
There is no reason why you can’t coast with one pedal driving as long as there is a suitable power/regen display on the dash and some decent software controlling the motor. I used to regularly coast in my i3 and rarely used the brake pedal. Make for a much better, if different, driving experience.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've been testing this on mine and I've found that coasting is far far more efficient than the recuperation mode, especially if you are also aware that you just need to touch the brakes when going downhill to get a bit of recup and slow down slightly, whilst still maintaining good progress
Got to put this theory into practice during a long road trip down to Spain last summer. Pretty much had zero margin for error due to a planned charging stop not working out, and coasting down the hilly landscape near Montpellier made all the difference. Reached the Ionity station with 2% of battery left!

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
There is no reason why you can’t coast with one pedal driving as long as there is a suitable power/regen display on the dash and some decent software controlling the motor. I used to regularly coast in my i3 and rarely used the brake pedal. Make for a much better, if different, driving experience.
But it isn't coasting. Coasting is just so effective on anything other than uphill. On the flat the car stays at the same speed for a long period of time, something it would never do with regen on

Got to put this theory into practice during a long road trip down to Spain last summer. Pretty much had zero margin for error due to a planned charging stop not working out, and coasting down the hilly landscape near Montpellier made all the difference. Reached the Ionity station with 2% of battery left!
Great work and exactly! It's those very slight hills or flat sections where coasting really makes up the extra distance.

I've used 1-pedal an other cars and sure it works fine. But coasting really is brilliant in the Taycan, have been very impressed.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
Don't know or really care about the efficiency, its certainly more enjoyable from a drivers point of view. Took me about 2 minutes after finally getting out of the 6 year nightmare of Tesla's to come to that conclusion.

BDH-Consult

First Name
Baudouin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia e-niro, Skoda Kodiak and newly CT4 Gentian
Country flag
I do agree absolutely, with my CT4/2022, , I couldn't barely go less than 30KWh/100Km, I decide to disable regeneration, and let the car cruising on free wheel, and wow, consumption drop to 25Kwh/100Km and even below, my range increase significantly from 360 to 410 Km @ 100% S.O.C, and we are in Winter still ! Never forget, lightly braking brings you back more recuperation than leave the car decelerating with recuperation ON.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
You can be sure Porsche had enough data to decide the default mode.
It is true also in racing with efficiency formulae - which a lot of series have been on and off for 25 years plus - coasting at the end of the straight before braking gives the biggest reduction in consumption for the least loss of lap time.

Anyway I am pretty sure one pedal driving only became a “thing” because it is by far the easiest and cheapest way to achieve regeneration.
Blending it with the brake pedal is a major achievement.

Bravo to the marketeer who sold one pedal driving to customers as a desirable feature :)

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The combination of the ability to coast combined with a low Cd is what would be called overpowered.

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Yes, you CAN coast, but will have to both observe the power display all the time AND be very precise with the pedal foot. I don't think that is ideal, neither for attention nor for the best energy efficiency. The good thing with the Porsche coasting is that it is very easy to use.

I agree that one-pedal driving may be convenient: I don't have to move the foot to another pedal in normal driving. But when an exception comes where much braking is needed, I have to move the foot anyway. To me, the pluses of efficient and easy coasting and of having an active relation with the brake pedal is the best way.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Big fan of coasting compared to OPD/always-regen modes. Just easier to control the exact amount of input I want. There's also efficiency loss from the act of regen. Other factor here is tire wear as well. I would think the electric regen may create additional (at least slight) drag and wear on the tires?

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
They're right. Recuperation isn't 100% efficient. There are mechanical and electrical losses. Probably only 80% efficient if you're lucky.
Sponsored