Porsche Sentry Mode - How to lobby Porsche for updates?

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I watched some videos over the weekend on Tesla's Sentry Mode that captures video when parked and after an incident.
I am wondering what the demand for this is with you all as users (I personally would love this as a free OTA update, but also willing to pay for this as a FOD upgrade as well) on this forum?
Question is, how/what is the best way to lobby Porsche to make this upgrade and add it to the FOD store? If anyone has ideas, I would love to share those and get a movement going.
I hate bringing forward problems without a solution, so here is what I am thinking:
- I start a petition with an online e-signature component (I found an online solution to do this) and collect as many signatures as possible.
- Send it into Porsche to show the demand-side need.

The second step is where I need some support/guidance....even if I set this up and get 90% of current owners to sign this petition, where/who would be the best function-business unit/person that I should send this data into and actually get a response?

I feel we have a unique opportunity here as Porsche's early adopters and they are really missing the boat here to reach out to us and get user feedback on what is working well and what is not, what we would like to see and what will keep us purchasing another Taycan after the one we own has served its lifespan. I thought I would tackle this as the "easiest" improvement they can make (all software) and one that I personally have a high desire to have implemented. Especially with their dashcam being defective and still not having an option for the rear. All the cameras are there already, they just need to hire someone to develop it.

Yes, I realize they have a lot of work that needs to be done on PCM and other software related issues. I am hoping that they can do these in parallel and not in series and if they can be convinced that it will 'pay for itself' with a FOD option and that motivates them, great! Or, if they are feeling altruistic and believe this will increase customer retention and/or sell more new models, awesome! Either way, it is a win-win for us as I hope others feel that this is a much needed option?

Does anyone have the 'inside-track' on the best channel to submit a petition to Porsche and actually have them take this seriously?
Sponsored

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Would this depend on a USB-C storage device that's sourced by the car owner?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Would this depend on a USB-C storage device that's sourced by the car owner?
that is how tesla stores the data.
the bigger issue is, and I don't know if it is an issue, is that tesla uses the cams that it uses for it's AP system to "feed" the sentry mode. I do not know if the Taycan uses a similar system on their cameras for innodrive and it's variants

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I don’t think the computer performance of the Taycan will be capable of doing sentry. If so, Porsche will be sell it as 2022 model new features for $$$$$$$$. Old business model.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think it would be a useful addition to the car. But instead of asking Porsche to design and implement it, I would like to suggest to urge Porsche to open up the Taycan for externally developed software additions and create a Porsche app store to allow developers to sell/give away the addition. Porsche will have 100% control of the app store and validate every app before publishing it, like Apple does.

The Taycan software architecture is build around docker and docklets. This allows for totally independent and isolated software modules to run, without influencing any other (vital) software/hardware module.

OP
OP
TycanNewHampshire

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
all good Ideas, agree that they would want to charge for it, which is why I am saying an option could be a FOD purchase.
I think the open source model would be awesome, I would sign a petition for that as well! However, I think that we have a better chance of getting a vehicle (has safety standards) to add Sentry mode far before it becomes OS.

offplan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S , bicycle , my own feet
Country flag
I would be interested in signing the petition if one exists for FOD.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think it would be a useful addition to the car. But instead of asking Porsche to design and implement it, I would like to suggest to urge Porsche to open up the Taycan for externally developed software additions and create a Porsche app store to allow developers to sell/give away the addition. Porsche will have 100% control of the app store and validate every app before publishing it, like Apple does.
Opening up the software stack would be a huge litigation risk, not to mention probably not even legal under DOT regulations.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I would be interested in signing the petition if one exists for FOD.
It's not technically feasible for existing cars, bunch effort to design it in. Much easier to just use a dedicated solution. Even Mercedes just add a whole new camera for dashcam functionality. Tesla did dashcam and sentry because they packed their cars with the Autopilot computer which was supposed to do Level 5 Full Self Driving years ago, but since it didn't, Tesla had spare hardware capacity in there to implement things like the dashcam or sentry mode - at least customers got some use out of that hardware they paid for. Today Tesla is going further, building in games, turning the spare hardware into a gaming console, since there are still no autonomous Teslas around (initially they were supposed to start the Tesla Ride Sharing Network by end of 2017, where you could allow your car to autonomously provides rides to people in exchange for a cut of the fare).

More on the technical issues with Taycan discussed in thread below:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/store-and-download-onboard-cameras-video.9121/

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
Opening up the software stack would be a huge litigation risk, not to mention probably not even legal under DOT regulations.
I am replying under the assumption that systems are firewalled (in lack of a better layman’s term); You don’t have to be opening up anything. You could be given sandboxed access to certain APIs (one such could be camera activation and feeds).

Personally, I think it’s a great idea. Except for the fact that I’m sure Porsche would screw it up somehow as it’s software related.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Who would litigate in this case? Also, not illegal under US rules (NHTSA), I work with car manufacturers and their software. Just not worth it for the car manufacturers to ship hardware to run someone-else's software, hardware which has to provide proper non-interference/isolation, and will age way faster than a car (e.g. 5 year old car is desirable, 5 year old iPhone not so much). Hence Apple Car Play and Android Auto - you bring your own hardware to run 3rd party software, upgrade your phone every couple of years for latest capabilities without having to buy a new car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It would be a useful option but as its not offered on any Porsche model (or by many other manufacturers for that matter) it is unlikely to appear anytime soon.

I think it would take insurance companies to insist on it before any manufacturer would seriously take note.

A useful comparison may be the redesign of exhaust systems - notably on 911s. I understand that the tailpipes on 991.1 onwards are generally cosmetic now and not actually connected to the main exhaust outlet regardless of whether its a standard or sports exhaust. Why? Well, apparently (and I'm not 100% certain of this) one of the most common and expensive accidents / repairs in a 911 is the exhaust system from rear end shunts. By disconnecting the visible pipes from the main exhaust saves $$$s / £££s / €€€s in repairs. Perhaps this logic / lobby could be applied to surveillance / sentry systems as a requirement on cars.
Sponsored