Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Porsche Macan Range Rover
Country flag
Good morning all,

I am french and live in Paris.

I'm going to buy a Porsche TAYCAN and I have a question. I count on your help to guide me.

It is known that despite their high prices, Porsches need a lot of options to be complete.

I configured a 4S (base price: 109,414 euros) with a lot of options and without being excessive, I got a price of 159,286 euros (or 49,872 euros in options).

The same in the TURBO version (base price: 156,344 euros) where a lot of paying options in the 4S are included and therefore free, we arrive at 178,678 euros (or 22,344 euros in options).

The question I ask myself is whether the Turbo version, which in its price is already better equipped with a lower sum of options, will not depreciate less on resale than the 4 S with practically more than double the price of options that have a significantly lower basic price?

To sum up, I know that the car is far from being a placement, but isn't the TURBO version better placed than the 4S?

Which one would you choose?

Thank you for your informed responses
Sponsored

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It’s really a no-brainer, Phillipe. I went with the 4S because the 4S is 95% of the Turbo or Turbo S for 50-60% of the price. Truly, all you’re giving up is 1 second or less on the 0 to 100KPH. If you configure your 4S with the Performance Package, you’ll get virtually the same handling characteristics, but not the ceramic brakes of the Turbo S, which you don’t really need anyway because of the regeneration system.

Finally, you live in Paris (my favorite city on the planet!) and you’ll be lucky to hit 60KPH on most days anyway. And if you want to drive to say Lyon, the police will be watching your beautiful car speed by with both lust and a sense of outrage as they write you up for speeding, which the 4S is just as capable of doing as the Turbo and Turbo S. Save the extra cost of the Turbo and Turbo S to mitigate the subsequent speeding fines you’ll be paying the police in your 4S!

OP
OP

Aurige

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Torv,

Thank you very much for your answer which helps me a lot in my thinking. Here is the configuration I will choose. I really like. Happy New Year's Eve.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMRC5456

Philippe

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Torv,

Thank you very much for your answer which helps me a lot in my thinking. Here is the configuration I will choose. I really like. Happy New Year's Eve.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMRC5456

Philippe
Sweet configuration! I would recommend you eliminate the brake option and just go with the standard brakes. Like I said, the regeneration system is so efficient and effective that it seems to me a waste of money to go with that option unless you’re going to be racing around a track. Even Porsche’s own recommendation is a brake service every six 6 years, so I really don’t see the point of those brake options (anyone else have a different point of view that can help?).

The other change I would make is to eliminate the passenger screen. From what I understand it’s only active if someone is seated in the passenger seat, so unless someone is navigating with you, it’s essentially useless.

For what it’s worth, here’s my configuration for March delivery. There may be different configuration options between the US and Europe.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMY6QQR0

Porsche Taycan PORSCHE TAYCAN 4 S vs PORSCHE TAYCAN TURBO 58033C83-D5EE-49A6-B7A5-587939DB505B

Last edited:

OP
OP

Aurige

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes you are absolutely right but I absolutely want to have the Mission E 21 rims and you are obliged in the configuration to take these brakes which in the range are the least expensive. I love your setup, it is beautiful. This red under sunny California, wow !!!! She is really chic. Me Monday, I contact my dealer and I must be delivered at the end of April 2021.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I do like the Mission E wheel set and yes, you are correct you are obliged to go with the surface coated brakes to get that Mission E wheel set option. Personally, I decided against that option because 1) the 20" wheels have greater range and are more efficient and 2) the 21" tires wear much more quickly than the 20" inch tires and are far more costly to replace when the 21" tires do wear out. All in all, going with the 20" tires saved me $5400 because of the forced upgrade to the brakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Aurige

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, you're right. In the configuration I made two little follies which are the Mission E rims which both reduce the range and incur a big additional cost. The other madness is the headliner in Race Tex and can also be the sport chrono improved with the pretty clock on the dashboard. Your setup is a little more reasonable but I love it too!

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
You ask whether depreciation will be a factor if you load a 4S up and the answer is yes. You will get little or no money back on the extra money you will pay on the options.

In the U.K. PCP is a popular way to finance a vehicle & the turbo will have a higher guaranteed future minimum value meaning your monthly payments will be lower than a loaded 4S too and something that certainly would sway my decision. However, I appreciate French finance may work differently.
Buy what you want & can afford. Drive them both back to back if you can. It’s a lot of money to outlay and it has to be right for you.
Good luck & I look forward to seeing the pictures. :)

remanis

First Name
Amer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60, Volvo V60
Country flag
You are using logic when buying a Porsche. That’s not going to work. If you want to use logic, buy a Tesla :)

I can tell you about my experience. I first bought a 4S, had it for 3 weeks, got beaten by an AMG at a red light and drove right to the dealership, returned it and ordered a Turbo S (which will arrive in February 2021).

I thought to my self, I spent €180k on a Porsche and got beaten by a “common”. I might as well spend €220k and be one of THE fastest.

If I can afford 180, then I can afford 220. If I can’t afford 220 then I really can’t afford 180.

Dont get me wrong, I am not a speedy maniac that launches at every red light. I hate speed, I don’t drive in tracks and I almost always have my wife and kid in the car.

I just want the option to be able to, but during those 3 weeks I had the car I never raced anyone, even though many opportunities presented themselves.

I just thought to my self, if I am spending so much money, I want to have the best.

I don’t care about deprivation of value and what not, its not an investment, it’s an indulgence.

That’s how I work :) maybe it’s different for you.

OP
OP

Aurige

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting and different experiences and testimonials depending on the person. Thank you that is really very interesting.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
because the 4S is 95% of the Turbo or Turbo S
You go ahead and tell yourself and others that, but not so much.
Real life (my) experience... 25% difference on paper, 30% in cost, 50% in feeling.

You give yourself away at the end...
"Finally, you live in Paris (my favorite city on the planet!) and you’ll be lucky to hit 60KPH on most days anyway."

That might be why you're justifying it like that. If you normally don't do >60km/h then by all means, buy whatever you want. I've heard good things on Renault Zoe...? But if you do care about feeling, handling, looks... pretty much anything.... and if you intend to drive a Porsche like the beast that it is.... probably you should decide for yourself (try both cars and see if they are 95% same same).

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You go ahead and tell yourself and others that, but not so much.
Real life (my) experience... 25% difference on paper, 30% in cost, 50% in feeling.

You give yourself away at the end...
"Finally, you live in Paris (my favorite city on the planet!) and you’ll be lucky to hit 60KPH on most days anyway."

That might be why you're justifying it like that. If you normally don't do >60km/h then by all means, buy whatever you want. I've heard good things on Renault Zoe...? But if you do care about feeling, handling, looks... pretty much anything.... and if you intend to drive a Porsche like the beast that it is.... probably you should decide for yourself (try both cars and see if they are 95% same same).
I have driven the 4S, the Turbo and the Turbo S and to me, they are 95% the same if you don’t mind the one second hit in launch control. The 4S suits my needs perfectly: it’s faster than my Tesla Model S, handles better than my Model S by a country mile and actually out performs my 911. Finally, the Taycan 4S cost me $70000 less than the Taycan Turbo S, which I’ll use to buy a Tesla Model Y for my wife, thereby minimizing the avalanche of grief I’m going to get for indulging in my Porsche addiction! It’s a win-win.

Last edited:

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
If money no object; Turbo S. However, you can load up a 4S with lots of option goodies, enjoy it as your everyday driver, and have money to spare for great wine, fine dinners, and cool Airbnb’s on many road trips. I have the 4S with no regrets, plenty fast for me.

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
I traded a 991.2 TTS for a Taycan 4S. It is plenty fast. Option it however you want. PSCB and Mission E wheels I think are essential to the look of this vehicle. I agree that the more options you have, the greater the depreciation will be. Ideally keeping options at <25% of base price is advisable from a total cost of ownership viewpoint. Of course I didn't follow this advice when buying a loaded 4S.

Porsche Taycan PORSCHE TAYCAN 4 S vs PORSCHE TAYCAN TURBO taycan
Sponsored

Last edited: