ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you want to see a Taycan 4S getting a lap in.

I hope to take mine to a Porsche Club of America Track Event at Laguna Deca sometime. It won't be too special as it
will be my first track event.

Porsche Taycan 4S - Circuit of the Americas 2:43 lap

Edward Doan
Sponsored

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This was one of my fastest laps yesterday. My 2020 Porsche Taycan 4S (with Performance Battery Plus) is my first EV. I have previously owned two Porsches -- a 2009 911 Carrera and 2018 Macan.

This track day was hosted by the Hill Country Region chapter of the Porsche Club of America (PCA HCR) in conjunction with several other PCA and BMW CCA regions in Texas. This is my 12th track weekend at Circuit of the Americas (COTA).

In my first session, I was able to quickly get up to speed, following the line around COTA that was familiar to me from having driven dozens of laps in a 911. This resulted in a GPS-measured lap time of 2:43, only a second off of my best time in a 997.2 with stickier Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I was able to pass (with point-by) several Cayman GT4s and even a 991.2 Turbo. The Taycan's power was evident down the long back straight at COTA, where I hit Vmax=148 MPH. I could also put distance on a 997.2 Turbo.

Two things happened after this fast lap -- brake fade and increased battery temperature. My Taycan 4S is equipped with the standard steel rotors, and the brake fluid is the factory fill. The brake pedal became noticeably softer, and braking distances increased especially in the hard braking zone leading up to Turn 12 where going from 148 MPH down to 30 MPH is necessary. The reduced braking power led to missed apexes in later sessions, causing my lap times to increase. I suspect the brake fluid boiled during one of the first few laps, and braking performance was reduced thereafter.

The battery temperature climbed beyond the typical 20-40°C operating range. Especially after the fifth lap, battery temperature was in excess of 48.8°C / 120°F. After reaching 148 MPH on the back straight of COTA, the temperature reached a maximum of 55°C / 131°F, based on the instrument cluster display. The battery temperature bar was in the red, and for the first time, I saw the “Drive Power Restricted” warning light:
Porsche Taycan Porsche Taycan 4S - Circuit of the Americas 2:43 lap - Edward Doan swEhx18mxjEB0kKSMwambvZlkOoMMxqLCYFw-990ikSFAl5-6F

I knew it was time to pit when the light turned on!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this matches my experience @ laguna - battery temps at 132F lead to power reductions by the porsche computer - my experience is maximum of 6 full pace laps before battery temps cause power reduction...

the Taycan is super quick but lacks stamina for a full 25 min HPDE session - 5 sessions a day (typical) is difficult to envision given consumption of the battery

@Edward what was you battery consumption like? how many laps were you able to get before temps cause power reduction? where is the closest fast chager for COTA?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
there is a full set of 16 Tesla Superchargers being installed @ buttonwillow race way in california - a Tesla car club runs a lot of track days there, and having fast charging @ track is going to be a huge advantage.

that sort of @track infrastructure would also allow Tesla to run their own full day performance schools if they so desired

the Model 3 performance with track mode software is a very very capable track vehicle with some brake upgrades and @track fast charging you could run one all day for a typical 5 session HPDE day.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Edward what tires were on your Taycan?

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@daveo4EV my first session was 6 laps, including the first out lap on cold tires. By the 6th lap (i.e. 5th hot lap), I hit 131 degrees and it was break time. I consumed ~9% per lap. Computer showed 1.1 kWh/mile, which is about right given COTA's 3.4 mile length.

Closest DC charger was 8 miles away at the Austin airport. It's a 62.5 kW ChargePoint charger, and I spent most of my HPDE day there. It worked out to be 3 minutes of charging for every 1 minute on track. However, with <90 minutes between sessions, I could only get ~45 minutes of charging. Thus, I'd come back to grid for my 2nd and 3rd sessions barely above 50% SOC, meaning I could only do 4 laps. I'd arrive back at the DC charger ~5% SOC!

I have the 20" Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires on the Taycan 4S. I had MPS4S on my 997.2, and I could definitely tell a difference. This video review nails it. The car really started pushing during the 2nd & 3rd sessions, and my tire pressure went from 31 psi (grid) to 41-42 psi on track!

The brake fluid was cooked by lap 5 though. I felt a spongy brake pedal afterwards, and I was just a little too spooked to do deep braking + late apex like I would have in my 911. I need to re-learn how to drive in a car of this weight!

It was a fun day in the sense of lapping a new car around a familiar track, but I'm itching to get back into a Porsche sports car for HPDE days. The Taycan was definitely competent on track, but it was like wearing Converse All-Star shoes to run around the track -- you could, but it just wasn't natural!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Edward thank you - great answers!!!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is my personal best @ COTA 2:27.xx (2018 911 GT3 - street summer tires)

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@daveo4EV SWEET video!! Were you ever in Austin, or did you visit with the GT3 for a track event? I'm always entertained watching the line other people take. I missed not being able to throttle steer like a RWD car, and the overlap between regen and mechanical brakes made it hard to get the trail braking effect I wanted. The T16-17-18 carousel that you took so fast in your GT3 was probably the least comfortable for the Taycan.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
before pandemic I tend to do COTA once year and haul my GT3 to a Lonestar PCA events - I look forward to returning…I simply LOVE COTA - seeing your Taycan on track made me sad cause I don’t know when I can come back - hopefully 2022 I can return to Austin and flog the beast!!!

this video was my last track event in 2020 due to pandemic - I returned and boom lock downs started happening and all our 2020 plans went out the window.

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
before pandemic I tend to do COTA once year and haul my GT3 to a Lonestar PCA events - I look forward to returning…I simply LOVE COTA - seeing your Taycan on track made me sad cause I don’t know when I can come back - hopefully 2022 I can return to Austin and flog the beast!!!

this video was my last track event in 2020 due to pandemic - I returned and boom lock downs started happening and all our 2020 plans went out the window.
UGH, bummer about the travel plans. But I am envious that you've got a Taycan and GT3 AND travel to racetracks around the country -- that's on my "someday" bucket list. :)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is the 2016 Pirrelli Drivers Cup series champion in my '18 GT3 car setting a reference lap for me to chase - ultimately Rob is always faster than me - but once I have his data I can 'chase' his lap times to make myself better - Robb has been tracking since he was 8 years old - I started a little later in life - this is the same car same tires same track same weekend - but Robb set his lap time Saturday afternoon - and I set my lap time Sunday morning…when the 2016 series went to COTA that year Robb won the race and qualifying pole position - so Robb's line is "the fast line"…we'd all do well to come even close to Robb's line @ COTA

Robb is 2 seconds faster than I am in this lap - if I closed the gap - I'd put Robb in the car and he'd go out and go faster again - when I put Robb is the car I don't ask him to do the fast lap possible (he could come close) but rather ask him to simply put in a lap faster than mine so I can chase it - he's never disappointed me.

it's also interesting to note that Robb is 2 seconds faster than me even though he was hindered on the back straight and was timid into the braking zone - I'm sure there is at least another easy 1.5 seconds for Robb without traffic.

Robb and I shared a 2015 911 GT3 Cupcar for the 2016 racing season - Robb took the overall championship that year with my car and his driving - it was a super fun year and I learned a lot.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is a comparison of Rob's data vs. my data @ Thunderhill this past march - Robb is 2.3 seconds faster than I am in the same car, same tires, same track…but I'm super close - it turns out Robb is just that little bit better than me all over the track - an that minor margin adds up to 2.3 seconds across a 3 mile lap…

Robb is the "green" line - the "faster" lap - I"m the "red" line the slower lap…

I'm a 55 year old hobbyist trying to match a life time carting/racing champion - I'm quite pleased I'm even this close…

this is a 2018 911 GT3 - street tires…

Porsche Taycan Porsche Taycan 4S - Circuit of the Americas 2:43 lap - Edward Doan Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.33.20 AM

here is the video the match the data for this lap (red line on the graph)

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@daveo4EV Great videos! Robb definitely has an efficient line. His turn-in points at COTA T11, T12, and T15 are much earlier apex than I've been taught, but it's possible that's the difference between a pro and what's taught to an amateur! The input traces are similar to what I've been between myself and much better drivers ... smooth, but more forceful / decisive inputs whereas I'm always a bit more tentative especially on braking zones.

I'd love to see a hot shoe set reference laps in a Taycan on American racetracks. I wonder if it'd frustrate / confound them coming out of a rear-engine, lightweight RWD car into a 50% heavier AWD EV like it did for me?! :CWL:

So amazing that you had a Cup entry! Did you learn / get your license at Barber Motorsports Park with Porsche Track Experience?
Sponsored