Porsche Taycan DC Charging Test: Peak Is 270 kW, But Only To 25% SOC - InsideEVs

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here's an article on InsideEVs about Taycan fast charging on Fastned. The curve is quite a bit more constraining than was shown in prior tests. But I do really think Porsche increase the usable amount of battery and thus made some changes to the charging curve. also I do not know how many tests they ran to be able to make the plot that is provided.

Porsche Taycan DC Charging Test: Peak Is 270 kW, But Only To 25% SOC
https://insideevs.com/news/427335/porsche-taycan-dc-charging-test/

Porsche Taycan Porsche Taycan DC Charging Test: Peak Is 270 kW, But Only To 25% SOC - InsideEVs fast-charging-of-porsche-taycan-source-fastned
Sponsored

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This info is not particularly useful if they didn't preheat the battery before charging.
-
According to one of the comments: "At 35 deg C it can hold 250kW up to 50% SoC".
I agree, not nearly enough background information here to suggest that this curve is indicative of average charging speeds. Also would like to see one for Ionity.

Reactions: Reg

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What really matters is how long it took (the area under the curve), not the peak anyway.

Actually, none of that really matters, charge at home or at work. :p

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Using miles per minute, what is your fastest charge at Electrify America, Mine is 6.5 mpm. Just curious

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Using miles per minute, what is your fastest charge at Electrify America, Mine is 6.5 mpm. Just curious
Is that 150kW? How low do you take SoC before visiting EA? If you get it to 5% you should be able to do better.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
InsideEVs is mostly Click Bait headlines and lazy bloggers. Also serious bias towards Tesla.
IMHO.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
it depends on the charger, the temperature, and things I don't know.
Sometimes charging is faster.

Still 208 KW at 56%

20200528_154936.jpg
it depends on:
- Current SoC
- Current Battery temperature
- Capacity & Settings of the Charging Station
- Capacity of Chargers in the car

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Is that 150kW? How low do you take SoC before visiting EA? If you get it to 5% you should be able to do better.
No, that was a 350 kw charging station, haven't let it get that low, (first ev, range anxiety) but now I would be comfortable with letting it get down to 5 percent, but an ELectrify America station is about 50 mile from my house, can we revisit how to optimize the battery before charging, I usually put the ea station as the destination and thought that preconditioned the battery, what was the procedure to do it manually. Get confused on preheat cabin vs battery.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No, that was a 350 kw charging station, haven't let it get that low, (first ev, range anxiety) but now I would be comfortable with letting it get down to 5 percent, but an ELectrify America station is about 50 mile from my house, can we revisit how to optimize the battery before charging, I usually put the ea station as the destination and thought that preconditioned the battery, what was the procedure to do it manually. Get confused on preheat cabin vs battery.
You are correct that routing to a station is the one way to do it, the alternative I am aware of, if you have Sport Chrono, you can set it to Sport Plus mode and that will precondition the battery. Alternatively you can drive very aggressively prior to charging as the high current draw will also warm the battery, that of course is more entertaining than the other alternatives but I don't not think it is quite as effective. :cool:

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
You are correct that routing to a station is the one way to do it, the alternative I am aware of, if you have Sport Chrono, you can set it to Sport Plus mode and that will precondition the battery. Alternatively you can drive very aggressively prior to charging as the high current draw will also warm the battery, that of course is more entertaining than the other alternatives but I don't not think it is quite as effective. :cool:
Thanks, I don't have sport chrono, but I can put it in sport plus mode, and did the destination thing, still didn't get more than 6.5 mpm so that covers heating the battery, same for cooling? Since summer is here...

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks, I don't have sport chrono, but I can put it in sport plus mode, and did the destination thing, still didn't get more than 6.5 mpm so that covers heating the battery, same for cooling? Since summer is here...
I did not think Sport Plus was available without the sport Chrono package, I thought you would only have Range, Normal, and Sport.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did not think Sport Plus was available without the sport Chrono package, I thought you would only have Range, Normal, and Sport.
Also generally cooling is not needed for charging as optimal charging temperatures are quite High, like 95°F but if that's needed then I think what I suggested except aggressive driving should be good and you know you can show battery temperature on the driver display.
Sponsored

Last edited: