Porsche Taycan takes on the Moose Test and bows down to Tesla Model 3’s record - Teslarati (but read on)

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
First article is published today by Teslarati based on. km77 test of Taycan Turbo S and Tesla Model 3. Showing Taycan has a hard time with a moose test at 78km/h yet the test done in Oct 2019 by AutoMobil obtained 97km/h on a wet surface. I agree that the model three ways less and would handle the test well, however the rear wheel steering which is base on a Turbo S and probable PDCC would not exhibit the kind of body roll I saw in the video I wouldn't think at only 78km/h.

The moose test does have a standard way of running it but that would require the car to be fully loaded with people and items in the trunk to bring it to full load capacity, that apparently was not done in either of these tests so obviously they are not conforming to the standard.
ISO3888-2
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose_test

No doubt some folks on this forum have a Turbo S and have driven a Model 3 in a spirited fashion that can comment on the handling of the Porsche.

Porsche Taycan takes on the Moose Test and bows down to Tesla Model 3’s record
Teslarati
https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-taycan-loses-tesla-model-3-moose-test-video/

Porsche Taycan beats Tesla Model S in drag race and handling comparison test with caveats
Electrek

https://electrek.co/2019/10/16/pors...a-model-s-drag-race-handling-comparison-test/
Sponsored

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I’m not convinced. There are so many variables that affect a “test” like this. Driver competence and reaction times, vehicle width in relation to the gaps between the cones, and weather conditions. Most of all, the bias of those conducting the test. It does not change my view that the Taycan is the best performance EV in the World.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
I’m not convinced. There are so many variables that affect a “test” like this. Driver competence and reaction times, vehicle width in relation to the gaps between the cones, and weather conditions. Most of all, the bias of those conducting the test. It does not change my view that the Taycan is the best performance EV in the World.
Also it’s from Teslarati - the clue is in the title

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Their tests are only useful when they expose flaws, otherwise it comes down to how well the driver did, conditions, tires, & familiarity with the car.

This is really a pass/fail test and they shouldn't be comparing minor differences in cars that passed. The Taycan passed, /end.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I'm not sold on a "test" where the driver can't enter the course on a straight away without hitting a cone.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@dryii No kidding! Also what exactly is he doing with the wheel? He literally drives into the cones on exit and doesn't turn the wheel until after he hits them, not sure he got the memo to turn the direction he wants to go. :CWL:

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
The test is meant to be a simulation of a situation where you have to swerve to avoid a large animal standing in the road, like a deer or a moose, and you don't have enough time to brake. It's a Swedish idea, originally. I don't think Spain has that many moose.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
The test is meant to be a simulation of a situation where you have to swerve to avoid a large animal standing in the road, like a deer or a moose, and you don't have enough time to brake. It's a Swedish idea, originally. I don't think Spain has that many moose.
It is a handy test here in Canada though!! Spain, yeah, moose highly unlikely.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wonder, is the way they operate the test really an accurate representation? Shouldn't they have the driver brake hard for an instant and then navigate the test? Is anyone ever going to see a moose or something run out infront of them and not instantaneously brake before evading?

Testing in this fashion would also expose any loss of control in emergency braking and whether the ESC allows you to come off the brake and evade or if it continues interfering.

Just curious for the sake of conversation, not attacking their method. I'd have the car come up at a certain speed, apply brakes hard at a designated line ie.. "oh shit a moose, what do I do", then evade through the cone drill.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I wonder, is the way they operate the test really an accurate representation? Shouldn't they have the driver brake hard for an instant and then navigate the test? Is anyone ever going to see a moose or something run out infront of them and not instantaneously brake before evading?
From Wikipedia:

The evasive manoeuvre test (colloquial: moose test or elk test) is performed to determine how well a certain vehicle evades a suddenly appearing obstacle. This test has been standardized in ISO 3888-2.

Forms of the test have been performed in Sweden since the 1970s. The colloquial and internationally better-known name for the test was coined in 1997 by the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung after the Swedish motor magazine Teknikens Värld together with the TV-show Trafikmagasinet flipped a Mercedes-Benz A-Class in a test ostensibly made to measure the car's ability to avoid hitting a moose.

In reality, the test is rather constructed to simulate, for example, a reversing car or a child rushing out onto the road. This is because it is more likely that the moose will continue across the road than remain in place or turn back, making it more advisable to brake hard and try to slip behind the animal than to swerve in front of it.

So, you're completely right, brake hard if you run into a moose on the loose.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
From Wikipedia:

The evasive manoeuvre test (colloquial: moose test or elk test) is performed to determine how well a certain vehicle evades a suddenly appearing obstacle. This test has been standardized in ISO 3888-2.

Forms of the test have been performed in Sweden since the 1970s. The colloquial and internationally better-known name for the test was coined in 1997 by the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung after the Swedish motor magazine Teknikens Värld together with the TV-show Trafikmagasinet flipped a Mercedes-Benz A-Class in a test ostensibly made to measure the car's ability to avoid hitting a moose.

In reality, the test is rather constructed to simulate, for example, a reversing car or a child rushing out onto the road. This is because it is more likely that the moose will continue across the road than remain in place or turn back, making it more advisable to brake hard and try to slip behind the animal than to swerve in front of it.

So, you're completely right, brake hard if you run into a moose on the loose.
Ohh, I like the info!

That makes sense. I can see the "car reversing into the road scenario" which would also explain trying to jump back into your own lane so quickly.

I watched the Model 3 video and it's a little funny that they're comparing them. In that video he has regen on high and is braking the entire time, with a much lower exit speed. In the only video from the rear of the Taycan you can see he never brakes. I guarantee if he braked just a bit the Taycan would outperform the Model 3.

So watching the Model 3 vs Taycan in slow mo and watching speed; he starts to lose control of the Model 3 on both the entry and exit turn and brakes hard. The body has rolled significantly and it looks like the braking barely pulls it back. He exits under 50 kmh. The Taycan maintains a more consistent speed, and higher exit speed, but the driver seems to expect lazy steering and his inputs look slow. This is pretty common for people moving to a sporty steering rack. He should be making quick, small adjustments and not the sweeping long pulls he's doing. Basically the Taycan is reacting faster than he is.

To be clear, the driver brakes HARD at two points in the 83 and 82 kmh Model 3 test. Not regen, brakes. He doesn't apply the same behavior in the Taycan test which renders the comparison void. He also is clearly more comfortable with the Model 3, they even allude to such multiple times, which clearly biases the results.

The slalom is another case of presenting a result that is the opposite of what the video shows. They claim the Model 3 is more agile but the video shows it struggles to maintain speed and experiences body roll and an inconsistent demeanor; while the Taycan is faster, flatter, and utterly consistent.

Also they don't mention so many important factors. Tires? Tire wear? Temperature? Testing conditions? Exact settings?

Not to mention the tests are a year apart! Why they chose to talk about the Model 3 in a Taycan test is questionable and I strongly dislike it. I have a big problem with people claiming results when they haven't bothered to establish fair parameters.

Basically they're saying the Model 3 did better because it used the brakes. Shocking. Kind of funny. I'm only a little defensive because they specifically chose to make the "Model 3 vs Taycan" comparison, which they really shouldn't have IMO. If they want to do Model 3 vs Taycan, have them same day, back to back, with the settings/tires/etc.. clearly stated.

Again, just for the sake of conversation. I've watched almost all of the moose videos, very entertaining.

Last edited: