Porsche Taycan Ushers New Metric: Range Per 24 Hours

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Electric Range: Distance You Can Drive In 24 Hours

Porsche Taycan Porsche Taycan Ushers New Metric: Range Per 24 Hours {filename}

The Porsche Taycan is slowly taking over the high-performance luxury world by storm. The upcoming battery-powered vehicle is being preordered like beer at a frat party, and already, the German carmaker is aiming to push the production numbers per year from 20,000 to 30,000 units. In turn, it’s slated to become one of the hottest items in the car world when it gets released next and everybody is taking notice.

However, the Taycan is also pushing the German carmaker to introduce a new metric to the ever-changing auto industry. Impacted by the upcoming electric revolution, Porsche is adding items that cannot really be tied to ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) vehicles.

In most cases, two of the most important metrics for an electric vehicle are range and acceleration. And those have basically been monopolized by Tesla. However, Porsche, a newcomer on the EV block, is adding a new vehicle metric with the Taycan: range per 24 hours with charging.

This novelty was revealed in an interview for German Auto Motor und Sport magazine, done by the Porsche CEO Oliver Blume. He claims that said acceleration is just one of the metrics they are looking at, and to them, the range their customers can attain in a 24 hour period is as equally important metric the German company is looking at. And for the most part, we are really keen on seeing how much of an impact this makes on the electric car industry.

After all, usability for any electric car is key to their success. Porsche is no different. In turn, this means that owners need to be able to accelerate fast, cover an extensive range with their car, but also, charge their vehicle and continue with the journey as fast as possible as well.

With the Taycan, we set the same high standards as all other models. And acceleration is just one of many features that sets our products apart from the competition. The possibilities range from design and quality to driving dynamics and suspension design. The power electronics and the voltage system will also give a very clear differentiation in electric motors. Alone with the 800 volt system, we already generate significant advantages in the charging times, because I can load twice as fast with twice the current.

We wrote about the 800-volt charging system on a lot of occasions. In a nutshell, the system is designed so that any Porsche electric car owner can quickly top up their electric vehicle, thus being able to utilize their car’s acceleration strength and impressive top speed without a lot of range anxiety. After all, Porsche comes from Germany, a country where a lot of the autobahn network is completely unlimited. And no matter what some may say, there’s not a lot of stau (a German word for traffic jam) impacting your high-speed runs in many areas, allowing you to blitz away at speeds of 200km/h (124mph) and more with ease.

With the Taycan, we will also specify a value for how many kilometers you can drive in 24 hours – charging time included. I can tell you that even though we have consistently driven at 200 km/h in our tests, we are well above the values that are known in the market today. For our customers, this has the great advantage that they can calculate how far down they can come, for example, in six hours. And how fast they can drive then.

With its expected production start in late 2019, the Porsche Taycan will come with a range of about 400 kilometers (250 miles). Furthermore, the owners will be able to charge their high-performance battery-powered machines to about 80% charge in just 15 minutes. With a gorgeous design, impressive performance figures and fast charging, it’s no wonder that pre-orders for this vehicle are flying through the roof. And to be honest, if Porsche can deliver on their promises in all three categories, and if they can deliver it in substantial numbers from the start, we might have what many are calling a “Tesla Killer” on our hands.

https://insideevs.com/porsche-taycan-range-drive-24-hours/
Sponsored

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
That was a good article and I intend to keep my place in line for a Taycan in Chandler. Having said that I wonder if the performance will be a little lacking in comparison to the Tesla models. I understand that the Ludicrous mode is not repeatable but I’ve noticed that the Porsche PR machine is emphasizing fast charging and reproducible numbers over straight line speed. It’s going to be interesting when the metrics are revealed. Another minor point. I’ve read reports that Porsche would like an additional $7500 this Spring prior to choosing our options and locking in our builds. Given their history of opening the configurator only after the public debut ie 992 in LA in November does this mean a preview for those of us asked to pony up the 7500 prior to the likely debut at Frankfurt in September? Just some idol thoughts on my part.

Series7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 BMW M550i
Country flag
I think Porsche is engineering the Taycan for more than just cheap thrills (i.e. only being able to hard launch a couple of times like Teslas). And I think the reproducible/repeatable nature of the Taycan's performance will also allow it to actually be performance driven like on the track. Check out the videos of the automotive mags testing the Model S at the track, they're atrocious. Meanwhile, Taycans are continually being testing at the Ring! :)

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
I’ve seen the video of Chris Harris Driving the Tesla S. Diving and jouncing all over the place. I know Porsche’s. I know they’ll do it right.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I laughed when Tesla put in a "track mode" on the Model 3 and stated it was a M3-killer...lol!
Can't wait to have my Taycan!
Now that would be the Tesla-killer for sure.
I don't care about Mp24.

Grtz Dee.

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I'd be happy to do some testing of my Taycan against my M3 when I take delivery, haha.

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Everyone would love to see that!
Or better....no, I don't.
I see a trend in your posts...you're gonna be the resident typical-forum cool guy ;)

Have fun with that.

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'd be happy to do some testing of my Taycan against my M3 when I take delivery, haha.
I'd personally love to see and hear your comparison notes of how it compares to a high revving V8 sports coupe! One of the best sounding BMWs ever btw.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I see a trend in your posts...you're gonna be the resident typical-forum cool guy ;)

Have fun with that.
I think you mix up "subjective" and "personal".
Sponsored

Last edited: