ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Another review is up up. From Roadshow and though they start out with the EPA figures for the Porsche they do quickly smooth them with statements that their tests showed 250 miles and over 300 from another magazine. Then they went into zero to 60 and stated 2.4 for the Porsche but then 2.3 with the Tesla Cheetah, though I don't know that any test has been done side-by-side on the same track to be able to compare these figures. Also when they compared price they added the performance package to the Porsche which is not needed by a long shot. Though I guess if they added the large battery and the required panoramic roof it would have been the same thing. They also added in a InnoDrive which some customers would not get but to be fair they added FSD to the Tesla.

Porsche Taycan vs. 2020 Tesla Model S: Which luxury EV is best
Sponsored

kevinod

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 971
Country flag
To be honest, I’m getting a bit fed up of all these YouTube videos comparing the cars.

The Taycan is a premium car, which is why the price tag is higher than the Tesla. It’s two different markets, the only similarity being that they are both electric.

It’s like comparing a Mercedes and a Ford and arguing that they both do the same thing.

If people want to buy a Tesla then I have no issues and would agree that what Tesla have done is exceptional in their short time of trading. I just prefer German cars so I’m happy to pay a premium for that.

Apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Calling the Model S a luxury EV is kinda pushing it. I agree with @kevinod that the cars aren’t really comparable. The Model S is a family saloon car. In the Porsche lineup it’s more comparable to the Panamera IMO.

We all know most of the advantages and disadvantages of both cars anyway.

Model S advantages:
- Price
- Size (cargo and rear space)
- Supercharger network
- Infotainment (ease of use, games and streaming services)
- Range
- New/improved features via OTA updates
- Autopilot
- Great 0-60 performance

Model S disadvantages
- Reliability issues
- Interior/exterior issues (panel gaps, creaking etc. - all within Tesla spec..)
- Lackluster customer service
- Not as premium
- Autopilot...
- Not that fun to drive (on winding roads)

Taycan advantages
- A lot more fun to drive
- A true luxury/premium EV
- Charging speed (using certain fast chargers)
- Customer service
- Reliability
- A driver’s car (cliche, but true)

Taycan disadvantages
- Price
- Cargo and rear space
- Infotainment (still great IMO)
- Charging network
- Not as comprehensive OTA-updates

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Model S was called a "Premium" car because the price was significantly higher than all the other Urban EVs out there. It also had a longer range, and faster speeds.

It never was a Premium car in the experience: Customer Service, Quality, Design. But, it was all there was. It was the most expensive, so it was the only comparable EV.

That began to change with Jaguar & Audi. But they didn't stand up to the simple "checkbox" reviews: Range and 0-60. And now Taycan leapfrogged Tesla, and the Tesla cult freaked out and went completely defensive. In the next few years, BMW and Mercedes will enter the market with real competitors. And we'll resume more normal car comparison reviews.

Meh.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Tesla isn't faster.
It's technically not possible to generate more torque than the Taycan without using a gearbox.
It's just bullshit, period.
The Taycan has over 12.000Nm at the wheels due to the first gear (that's even more than the new Tesla roadster), also has more sustaining torque at higher speeds due to it's second gear.
It's just a much more efficient car when it comes to power output with better and power efficient motors, not that good for range though...
I think Tesla fanboys just don't want to know.
Pathetic really...

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
I don't think there is really a need to defend one side or the other. The more information out there, the better. They will definitely always be compared because they're both 4-door performance EV sedans that cost over $100k. They compete, it's a fact. Just look at how many people on this very forum are moving from an S to a Taycan tells you this is a fact.

Porsche charges a LARGE premium for what you get. Whether that's worth it or not is up to you. Many tech features that Porsche charges huge premiums for are standard even on a mid-range Model 3, such as adaptive cruise control (innodrive), premium audio (equivalent to Bose), range optimization, folding mirrors etc...I could go on. Porsche nickel and dimes you hard.

Tesla comes to your house to fix your car. Bad service? Maybe in some cases, but Porsche doesn't do that. If you're talking about the sales process, you can find a lot of people willing to be nice to you for a huge amount of money :)

All that said, we're buying Taycans because they're fun to drive and money isn't a big concern for us. If it was, Tesla would be a better value. I've said it before, but you can get most of the way there with fun factor in a Model 3 Performance. But the best is still the best, and that's a Taycan.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I don't think there is really a need to defend one side or the other. The more information out there, the better. They will definitely always be compared because they're both 4-door performance EV sedans that cost over $100k. They compete, it's a fact. Just look at how many people on this very forum are moving from an S to a Taycan tells you this is a fact.

Porsche charges a LARGE premium for what you get. Whether that's worth it or not is up to you. Many tech features that Porsche charges huge premiums for are standard even on a mid-range Model 3, such as adaptive cruise control (innodrive), premium audio (equivalent to Bose), range optimization, folding mirrors etc...I could go on. Porsche nickel and dimes you hard.

Tesla comes to your house to fix your car. Bad service? Maybe in some cases, but Porsche doesn't do that. If you're talking about the sales process, you can find a lot of people willing to be nice to you for a huge amount of money :)

All that said, we're buying Taycans because they're fun to drive and money isn't a big concern for us. If it was, Tesla would be a better value. I've said it before, but you can get most of the way there with fun factor in a Model 3 Performance. But the best is still the best, and that's a Taycan.
People moves to Porsche cuz before there was ONLY Tesla.
If Tesla was better, they'd stay there as brand loyalty says something...
Obviously a lot of people are done, despite the price difference.

Porsches aren't cheap, never were, never will be.
It's just worth it imho.

Porsche Service comes to your house if needed.
Porsches are reliable in the first place.
And if it's necessary the dealer network is good and within reach.
Maybe Teslas need more attention or brake down all the time, I don't know.

Indeed, a Taycan drives better. :)

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tesla comes to your house to fix your car. Bad service? Maybe in some cases, but Porsche doesn't do that.
Tesla service is not what it used to be. Tesla used to say that if you came in for service, you would get the top end S. Now you are lucky if you get enough Uber credits, and you are really lucky if they have the parts to fix in a reasonable time, or they are willing to fix the yellowing screen instead of claiming it is normal wear and tear.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That began to change with Jaguar & Audi. But they didn't stand up to the simple "checkbox" reviews: Range and 0-60. And now Taycan leapfrogged Tesla, and the Tesla cult freaked out and went completely defensive. In the next few years, BMW and Mercedes will enter the market with real competitors. And we'll resume more normal car comparison reviews.

Meh.
I’m really looking forward to more offerings from Audi and Mercedes. BMW too but the strategic thinking coming out of their public statements is pretty awful so I guess I’m pessimistic...

It’s not a healthy market if there are only 2 real options and one of them is Porsche. The Taycan would be a lot more clearly seen for what is is, and not have to carry the sole burden as the only decent not-Tesla.

The R&T review about Porsche aiming at the wrong target was just emblematic of this. Complaining the taycan traded range and price for speed and driving dynamics that are difficult to appreciate off a track ... like you‘re a professional car journalist ? Why would Porsche make a cheaper long range EV ?

Absurdly priced performance most drivers can‘t actually use on a public street is basically the entire Porsche brand.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Agree I like the Taycan better, which is the reason I am getting one. After 3 Tesla's, I am not disappointed in the brand, just bored of the models they currently offer. That being said, I must give them credit for some truly innovative software. Their user interface is in my opinion better than any other car I driven, including the Taycan (I do not mean beauty of the screen or interior design, I mean the intuitiveness and ease of use. Few things I will certainly miss:
1. The "phone as key" feature. I hate car fobs...
2. Car is on as soon as I sit in it - I know Taycan is emulating that but my understanding is that you need to put the car in gear (i.e., don't need the start button, but you need to press the brake and engage in gear).
3. Car switches off and self-locks as I walk away. I bet I will repeatedly forget to switch the Taycan off....
4. The automatic garage opening and closing. The Taycan only presents the button for homelink, but does not actually open the door.
5. OTA updates
6. Sentry mode

These are all features that the Taycan could easily have (it surely has all the hardware for it). Why they have not been implemented is anyone's guess.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That sounds awfully wierd on a Porsche forum imho. :rolleyes:
Besides, I can't agree on that, sorry.
not really. For public roads, the Carrera 4S is 90+% the car as the TTS at 60% the price. The price increases exponentially with performance. The 918 isn’t 7x faster than the TTS.

These top of the line cars are delightful but mostly focused on tempting you into felony speeding charges at the first moment of inattention. There’s literally no difference between the top end and base for most daily driving. I’ll grant that the once a month or so moment for using that 0-60 < 3s is a wondrous time. But for the most part its overcapacity unless you’ll track it.

I say this as a tts owner. The car is in some ways too good. Love every moment.

here’s a more eloquent perspective
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a32067148/2021-porsche-911-turbo-s-first-drive/

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Many folks take their vehicle to the track on the weekend, or PCA events. Porsche is a racing brand first, who build cars for everyday people like us to enjoy.

Even at the "family" end, it's much nicer to daily drive a Macan Turbo over an Explorer or Pilot. One doesn't have to use something to its fullest potential in order to get their own fullest enjoyment. When was the last time you used all the cores or all the RAM in your PC? ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Dee

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
All I want to add is that its not just Porsche and Tesla, there is one Audi (yeah not a great one but another coming), and everyone forgets there is a very nice offering from Jaguar, the I-Pace. The price/performance of the I-Pace is way superior to Tesla in my humble opinion. Its funny how its not mentioned.
Sponsored