Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
not really. For public roads, the Carrera 4S is 90+% the car as the TTS at 60% the price. The price increases exponentially with performance. The 918 isn’t 7x faster than the TTS.

These top of the line cars are delightful but mostly focused on tempting you into felony speeding charges at the first moment of inattention. There’s literally no difference between the top end and base for most daily driving. I’ll grant that the once a month or so moment for using that 0-60 < 3s is a wondrous time. But for the most part its overcapacity unless you’ll track it.

I say this as a tts owner. The car is in some ways too good. Love every moment.

here’s a more eloquent perspective
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a32067148/2021-porsche-911-turbo-s-first-drive/
No need to prove your point, I just don't agree.
You already lost me at "felony speeding".
I'm driving a 992 C4S for 6 weeks now, it's brilliant.
Enjoy your TTS. :)
Sponsored

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
The cars and brands are not comparable at all. I've owned the Tesla Model S p85DL and 3P and driven a lot of new teslas as those have been serviced.

Actually my heart burns for the 911 but here in Norway the Taycan is about 1/2 the price of the 911 (Taycan 4S vs 911 4S) and when you get 4 doors, some cargo space and can cut costs in insurance, service and driving the choice was simple. And, you get a somewhat comparable driving experience, though the lightness, nimbleness and sound of the 911 beats the Taycan by miles and miles :)

I actually think the Taycan should be compared to 911 / Panamera and not the Tesla. The Tesla is a carrier as the Taycan is a driving experience.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
me: the carrera 4s is fantastic, basically indistinguishable to most drivers from the top of the line model on public roads up to 90mph. Porsche is masterful at helping you spend more anyway.

C4s owner: you’re wrong! The carrera 4s is fantastic!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

in case you’re wondering why 911s here, just an example of all of Porsche’s model lines pricing, including the taycan. This seems to confuse people who seem think the taycan should be priced like Tesla.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
me: the carrera 4s is fantastic, basically indistinguishable to most drivers from the top of the line model on public roads up to 90mph. Porsche is masterful at helping you spend more anyway.

C4s owner: you’re wrong! The carrera 4s is fantastic!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He didn't say you were wrong, he disagreed. Your statement and claim are very personal. To you, it's not worth it. To many others, it is. Porsche isn't forcing anyone to spend the money. If anything they have expanded their market, otherwise the C4S wouldn't exist. ;)

I can buy a cheap, off brand TV and it could be "basically indistinguishable" from a Sony, but for me that Sony is hands down better and I'll absolutely spend 3-4x on it even if it's mainly used by my kids and they probably wouldn't tell the difference.

Side note: every time someone says "TTS" I think Audi. :confused:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Side note: every time someone says "TTS" I think Audi. :confused:
Oh wait...
Me too!
I really thought he was comparing his Audi TTS to a 911...(ok, it's called TTRS but still...lol!). :)

But I still don't agree that a Porsche is overpriced.
If everybody could afford one, it wouldn't be that special anymore, that's also part of it.
I have an RX8 cuz of it's rarity, even if it's very cheap to get one.
With a Porsche, you don't see them on every corner of the street, a Tesla does.
Well, at least here in the Netherlands...even many more Model 3.
Also, here in the Netherlands an Audi TT is considered a ladies car, for hairdressers...

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well anyone who thinks the Audi TT is for “hairdressers” obviously doesn’t know about cars or has never driven a TTS or TTRS. Sorry had to be said. I am all for being snobby but at least we should be accurate. Look up the track times of a TTRS and drive one, then we will talk.

Audi Isn’t being Porsche, its being Audi. That is why an R8 is an amazing car but it isn’t a Lomberghini. You either “get it” or you don’t. Only real disappointment in Audi lately have been the E Tron SUV, ick.

As for everyone having one: I have many many real criticisms of the Tesla, but a high adoption rate is NOT one of them. Here in the US I smile when I drive around and see Model 3 after Model 3. It means there any many more people driving EVs, getting to know how much better they are for commuting, and at that price point a Model 3 is more fun to drive than a comparable sedan.

This is from someone who has never owned a Porsche before Taycan and only came to the brand BECAUSE of the Taycan. So we all have our own viewpoints on this. And yes the Taycan Turbo S is WAY overpriced.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Well anyone who thinks the Audi TT is for “hairdressers” obviously doesn’t know about cars or has never driven a TTS or TTRS. Sorry had to be said. I am all for being snobby but at least we should be accurate. Look up the track times of a TTRS and drive one, then we will talk.

Audi Isn’t being Porsche, its being Audi. That is why an R8 is an amazing car but it isn’t a Lomberghini. You either “get it” or you don’t. Only real disappointment in Audi lately have been the E Tron SUV, ick.

As for everyone having one: I have many many real criticisms of the Tesla, but a high adoption rate is NOT one of them. Here in the US I smile when I drive around and see Model 3 after Model 3. It means there any many more people driving EVs, getting to know how much better they are for commuting, and at that price point a Model 3 is more fun to drive than a comparable sedan.

This is from someone who has never owned a Porsche before Taycan and only came to the brand BECAUSE of the Taycan. So we all have our own viewpoints on this. And yes the Taycan Turbo S is WAY overpriced.
First of all, you talk about people that don't know about cars but dude, see how you misspelled Lamborghini....lol.
Shame on you!
Just kidding! :)

People who say Lamborghini is an Audi don't know about cars, true.
Ok, it is but it's designed in a different way, people should understand that but basically it's all Audi parts.
But here it comes:
It's actually a Porsche.
Let that sink in for a moment.
Yes, it is.
Look it up, Porsche SE is the holding which hold VW, Scania, Bugatti, Audi and therefore Lamborghini...
HA! :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_SE

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will go in my shame corner for being a bad speller. I’ll be back in a few...

Ok I am back. I realize the part commonalities and I don’t minimize the expertise of Porsche. My point is that cars are designed for different purposes. Using similar parts do not mean you end up with the same car. The Audi TT has a very different purpose than a Porsche, it doesn’t make it in any was a “lesser” car or a “woman’s” car. I for one will never own certain cars because I have NO interest in the discomfort for bragging right when I can’t use them to their full design 98% if the time. This is one reason that no matter how much I love McClaren’s there will probably never be one in my garage.

Audi excels in what they do. Porsche excels in what they do IN SPORT CARS (I won’t even say anything about Porsche making SUVs which is the vast majority of their sales, NOT their sport cars). And despite having the same platform I am pretty sure the Audi ETRon GT will be a different driving experience than Porsche Taycan.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My point is not about bragging rights, but use case. I will not be using the 0 to 60 under 3 seconds 95% of the time in driving a Taycan. I am not a professional drags racer or race car driver. A Taycan 4S Is more than fast enough in real life uses, even assuming I am incredibly aggressive driver. If I do plan to go to a track as much as I love my Taycan Turbo S I would be taking other cars, anywhere from an Alfa 4c or Lotus Elise or McLaren or other lighter cars.

If it’s about pure bragging rights it’s a whole other conversation, it’s about ego not performance.

P.S. honestly couldn’t care less about iPads idea of typing correction.
P.P.S. I don’t want to carry 4 adults and luggage when I accelerate that fast. I’ll take my I Pace for that.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Calling the Model S a luxury EV is kinda pushing it. I agree with @kevinod that the cars aren’t really comparable. The Model S is a family saloon car. In the Porsche lineup it’s more comparable to the Panamera IMO.

We all know most of the advantages and disadvantages of both cars anyway.

Model S advantages:
- Price
- Size (cargo and rear space)
- Supercharger network
- Infotainment (ease of use, games and streaming services)
- Range
- New/improved features via OTA updates
- Autopilot
- Great 0-60 performance

Model S disadvantages
- Reliability issues
- Interior/exterior issues (panel gaps, creaking etc. - all within Tesla spec..)
- Lackluster customer service
- Not as premium
- Autopilot...
- Not that fun to drive (on winding roads)

Taycan advantages
- A lot more fun to drive
- A true luxury/premium EV
- Charging speed (using certain fast chargers)
- Customer service
- Reliability
- A driver’s car (cliche, but true)

Taycan disadvantages
- Price
- Cargo and rear space
- Infotainment (still great IMO)
- Charging network
- Not as comprehensive OTA-updates
You forgot fart mode on the Tesla. Taycan doesn’t have that.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There you go:
Only two things bugged me:

1) Pronunciation of the name of the car...every....time....

2) “There is not bite feel in the brakes.” So your research, if most of the time the car is NOT engaging mechanical breaks and uses the massive 1G regen there is not “bite.”

Reactions: Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Only two things bugged me:

1) Pronunciation of the name of the car...every....time....

2) “There is not bite feel in the brakes.” So your research, if most of the time the car is NOT engaging mechanical breaks and uses the massive 1G regen there is not “bite.”
Indeed, but I do hope he also means the PCCB need to warm up to get a bit of a better bite.
Sponsored