ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You forgot fart mode on the Tesla. Taycan doesn’t have that.
You suggesting that it should be listed as an advantage of the Taycan, "no fart mode"? :giggle:
If you think it as a Tesla advantage, then I would say it would fall under infotainment in the list.
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There you go:
He needs to learn how to pronounce Taycan, very annoying.

As someone with a Panamera GTS, most of his points are right on. The Panamera GTS still feels like a big, luxury sedan that can be sporty. The Taycan feels like a mid-sized sports/super car that also happens to be a very comfortable sedan. It's really night and day.

I also agree that the Taycan shouldn't have the all digital screen for climate/radio. Just give me a few dials/buttons. It's probably the biggest miss on the car, even though it's not that big of a deal.

But overall, I don't think people will end up cross shopping the two (Panamera/Taycan). For how similar they can appear on paper, they're drastically different experiences before you even consider electric vs gas.

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was comparing 911s to each other to discuss Porsche branding in response to the Road & Track article by a professional car journalist who doesn’t seem to know what the brand is ???? This appears to have not been a very constructive contribution to the thread, sorry.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
But overall, I don't think people will end up cross shopping the two. For how similar they can appear on paper, they're drastically different experiences before you even consider electric vs gas.
Had Porsche not announced the 4S I was very much considering a Model S.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Had Porsche not announced the 4S I was very much considering a Model S.
Very similar here - had Tesla announced a real updated model S with luxury interior and at the same price as the Taycan, I would have considered the Tesla.

Of course a lot of Tesla owners cross-shop the Taycan. My dealer told me half of their reservations are from former / current Tesla owners. Price of the Performance model S was for a very long time similar to what you pay for the Taycan (my previous P85D was 125k, later if you wanted a P100D ludicrous with all bells and whistles it was close to 150k). SO no wonder people who can afford this price are looking at alternatives.

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
Very similar here - had Tesla announced a real updated model S with luxury interior and at the same price as the Taycan, I would have considered the Tesla.
If the "2020 Roadster" would have come out in 2020, I wouldn't have ordered a Turbo S. I would have at least waited and compared, because on paper the Roadster was supposed to be the be-all, end-call for sports cars.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Taycan, being 4 door, was perfect for my use case. I'm thankful to be in a position to spend a little more and acquire one over a Model S. I expect great things from it.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
To be honest, I’m getting a bit fed up of all these YouTube videos comparing the cars.

The Taycan is a premium car, which is why the price tag is higher than the Tesla. It’s two different markets, the only similarity being that they are both electric.

It’s like comparing a Mercedes and a Ford and arguing that they both do the same thing.

If people want to buy a Tesla then I have no issues and would agree that what Tesla have done is exceptional in their short time of trading. I just prefer German cars so I’m happy to pay a premium for that.
I have to agree. This is like the comparisons between the corvette and the 911. The 911 is WAY more expensive, and doesn't have the acceleration numbers the corvette has. But the corvette has crap road feel, terrible interior design and quality, and just doesn't connect you with the road the way the porsche does.

I have to agree with the statement 'if money is no object', then it's the Porsche hands-down. We're not talking a yacht here or a Gulfstream, we're talking about a few thousand dollars, and for me, getting into a car that really puts a smile on my face every day is worth more than thinking '...hey, I saved $25 today by buying this car'.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If the "2020 Roadster" would have come out in 2020, I wouldn't have ordered a Turbo S. I would have at least waited and compared, because on paper the Roadster was supposed to be the be-all, end-call for sports cars.
i’m definitely roadster curious, but expect with the truck and semi and other distractions we won’t actually see it delivered to customers until 2023 at the earliest.

Elon isn’t really a sports car guy, and tesla doesn’t have a significant high performance driving culture. I think I want professionals to review the chassis dynamics before i sign up. So more delays.

on the bright side, that’s about when a taycan lease would end ...

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
i’m definitely roadster curious, but expect with the truck and semi and other distractions we won’t actually see it delivered to customers until 2023 at the earliest.

Elon isn’t really a sports car guy, and tesla doesn’t have a significant high performance driving culture. I think I want professionals to review the chassis dynamics before i sign up. So more delays.

on the bright side, that’s about when a taycan lease would end ...
Agree with all of that. At the same time, they did have Randy Probst help with Track Mode and the driving dynamics of the Model 3 P, so they aren't totally clueless.

One difficulty they're going to have is that these cars can't be made to the same standard as a Model S or a 3, they need to be perfect. I watched the Taycan factory video, and I think all of my future cars need to be stroked like they do for the Taycan. If my car isn't hand-stroked, I don't know if I can accept it anymore :)

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
they did have Randy Probst help with Track Mode and the driving dynamics of the Model 3 P, so they aren't totally clueless.
The question is whether or not they actually listened to that advice, or thought they would "disrupt" and "innovate" and do it the silicon valley way of being different.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree with all of that. At the same time, they did have Randy Probst help with Track Mode and the driving dynamics of the Model 3 P, so they aren't totally clueless.

One difficulty they're going to have is that these cars can't be made to the same standard as a Model S or a 3, they need to be perfect. I watched the Taycan factory video, and I think all of my future cars need to be stroked like they do for the Taycan. If my car isn't hand-stroked, I don't know if I can accept it anymore :)
sure and that gives me hope. The new model 3 performance package isn’t nothing. But large organizations need sustained effort to really hit the top end of performance in a given domain. A one off or even a series of them (they did build a super charger by the Ring in a weekend) isn’t anything like a decades long baked into the culture commitment. It’s just too easy for resources to drain away with new management initiatives, and for little things to get overlooked because it wasn’t written down as a requirement by the “performance team”.
Compared to Porsche where everyone is the performance team and some things probably aren’t even written down as requirements because they are too obvious

not saying Tesla can’t. Just that it’s harder than it looks to get an organization to adopt new values.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Compared to Porsche where everyone is the performance team and some things probably aren’t even written down as requirements because they are too obvious
That is a great point. I hate to use the word "mission", but that really is what it is about. If Tesla's mission is sustainable transport, performance is not main objective and it becomes a bolt-on in some cases and may conflict with the main mission in some discussions. Can't serve two masters.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I watched the Taycan factory video, and I think all of my future cars need to be stroked like they do for the Taycan. If my car isn't hand-stroked, I don't know if I can accept it anymore :)
I'm going to look at my car and feel like it's had a sordid history now.