Country flag

vroomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, MB GLS 550
Country flag
@satchurator or anyone knowledgeable:

I am trying to determine if the added cost (~$3K) of the 19.2kW charger + PWCC is worth it.

Can you give us some real numbers in terms of charging time savings?

11kW @ 40A
vs
19.2kW @ 80A

If anyone has any info on charging times for the intermediate currents (eg 60A), that would also be helpful!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

I am trying to determine if the added cost (~$3K) of the 19.2kW charger + PWCC is worth it.

11kW @ 40A
vs
19.2kW @ 80A

If anyone has any info on charging times for the intermediate currents (eg 60A), that would also be helpful!
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/...ll-it-take-my-taycan-to-charge-from-blah.html
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-it-take-to-charge-my-taycan-from-blah.12279/

installing a 100 amp circuit in a residential home is also quite expensive - and is beyond the $3000 cost of just the option and a 100 amp EVSE…

this topic has been discussed extensively - search is your friend - there is no lack of existing posts that will educate you on this topic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag

11kW @ 40A
vs
19.2kW @ 80A

I don't have timing to share since I'm never charging from dead zero to 100% SOC. You could find a charging calculator to come up with some estimations for the sake of comparison. A simplified way to think about it: the PWCC hardwired at 80A / 19.2kW will be approximately twice as fast as a NEMA 14-50 connected EVSE at 40A / 9.6kW.

11kW is the max charge rate for the standard onboard charger, but is harder to achieve in reality (than 9.6kW) because you need an esoteric setup for the EVSE (either a NEMA 14-60 or hardwired to support 48A or greater draw).

Your profile says you are in the SF Bay Area. I'm in the US North East, and my cost was over $3K for the install about a year ago. It might be possible to get a cheaper install quote and do the whole thing (unit plus install) for under $3K but IMO you shouldn't skimp on a hardwired install if they are adding a 100A circuit.

Here is an old post of mine that I refer back to when folks are debating whether 19.2kW L2 charging is worth it: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-connect-order-receive-time.11921/post-175007

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don't have timing to share since I'm never charging from dead zero to 100% SOC. You could find a charging calculator to come up with some estimations for the sake of comparison. A simplified way to think about it: the PWCC hardwired at 80A / 19.2kW will be approximately twice as fast as a NEMA 14-50 connected EVSE at 40A / 9.6kW.

11kW is the max charge rate for the standard onboard charger, but is harder to achieve in reality (than 9.6kW) because you need an esoteric setup for the EVSE (either a NEMA 14-60 or hardwired to support 48A or greater draw).

Your profile says you are in the SF Bay Area. I'm in the US North East, and my cost was over $3K for the install about a year ago. It might be possible to get a cheaper install quote and do the whole thing (unit plus install) for under $3K but IMO you shouldn't skimp on a hardwired install if they are adding a 100A circuit.

Here is an old post of mine that I refer back to when folks are debating whether 19.2kW L2 charging is worth it: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-connect-order-receive-time.11921/post-175007

11kW @ 40A
vs
19.2kW @ 80A

8 - 9 hrs from 0% - 100% using a 11kW EVSE

4 - 4.5 hrs from 0% - 100% using a 19.6kW EVSE

If charging mostly at home and overnight then no need to pay for something beyond the standard which can complete the task overnight whilst the car is not in use.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
thank you for all the links! I had seen that useful chart; I was mainly wondering if the theoretical charging times correlated with everyone’s real world experience. It seems that it does.
calculation of charging time is straight forward and easy

you take the charging rate (kW - kiloWatts)
and you take the capacity you are attempting to provide (kWh - kiloWatt Hours)

you divide the capacity(kWh) by rate(kW) - and you're left with "hours" as a result of the math

example

84 kWh (Taycan's 'usable' capacity) - this would be pretty close to a 3% to 100% charge session
9.6 kW (any NEMA 14-50/6-50 40 amp EVSE)

84 kWh / 9.6 kW = 8.75 hours

charging is not 100% efficient - so we add a "fudge" factor of about 6-10%

with a 10% fudge factor you end up with 9.625 hours - so let's call it 9.5 hours for an "empty" to "full" charge session at 9.6 kw (40 amps @ 240V)

Porsche apparently agrees with my Math (or do I agree with theirs?) - the table below is from porscheusa.com website - Taycan - Technical details section…

Porsche Taycan Porsche Wall Charger Connect | Unbox & Install 02F1723D-6BA3-4A21-80C8-59D4560A01F4

you can repeat this process for any charge rate and come close enough as to not matter, in that the math will predict the charge time +/- 10-20 minutes - other factors (such as Porsche's charging software taking breaks for 3-7 minutes mid charge which it will in fact do) can not be predicted or factored in - but I believe +/- 15 min accuracy is more than good enough as a predictor for L2 charging

another way to look at it is that 9.6 kW charging will yield close to 10-12% battery capacity per hour of charge…

now that we'd done the math for 9.6 kW charge rate (240V @ 40 amps) - we can simply adjust/scale the math for other charge rates - and lo and behold 19.2 kW is exactly twice as fast as 9.6 kW charging - if it takes 8 hours with 9.6 kW charging - it will take 4 hours with 19.2 kW charging (+/- some fudge factors that do not matter).

48 amp charging (Taycan's standard on board maximum charge rate) is 20% faster than 40 amp charging.

this basic approach works for all EV's - Tesla and others…

your EV's charging rate is predicted, mandated, and controlled by the math of electricity and the current kW rate you are charging at…and some fudge factors due to charging losses and vendor software behavior during the charging session…

the variables are therefore:

charge rate of the EVSE you're using (kW = (Volts * AMPS) / 1000)
maximum charge rate the EV can accept (kW)
battery capacity you want to obtain during the charge session

Plugging a ChevyBolt into a 19.2 kW EVSE will not charge the ChevyBolt any faster - because the Bolt is limited to a 7.68 kW maximum L2 charge rate

Plugging in a standard Taycan into a 19.2 kW Porsche Wall Charger will charge at the maximum rate of 11 kW (because the Taycan lacks the onboard faster L2 AC charger)…

if you drive your 19.2 kW Taycan to Valley Fair mall in San Jose, CA - and plug into one of the many ChargePoint J-1772 chargers on the 2nd floor of the parking complex - your 19.2 kW Taycan will charge at a maximum rate of 6 kW - because that is all the ChargePoint EVSE's are delivering…

Tesla Model 3/Y - maximum charge rate is 12 kW (48 amps @ 240 volts)
Standard Taycan Maximum L2 charge rate is 11/12 kW (48 amps @ 240 volts)
Optional Taycan Maximum L2 charge rate is 19.2 kW (80 amps @ 240 volts)
"normal" L2 NEMA 14-50/6-50 EVSE = 9.6 kW

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
mostly in my opinion the 19.2 kW option isn't practical in north america because there are few if any 19.2 kW EVSE's in the wild - so if you add this option - about the _ONLY_ place you'll ever use it is at home - and only _IF_ you then pony up the expense for a 100/80 amp EVSE at home…you will rarely encounter a 19.2 kW EVSE in North America while traveling away from home…and even _IF_ you do encounter a 19.2 kW EVSE - you then have a 95% chance that it's a Tesla Destination charger - so you'll need the 80 amp TeslaTap to safely utilize it (no big deal you should have one anyways cause it's so useful for charging when away from home).

19.2 kW charging is twice as fast as 9.6 kW charging - so it's better no question - but it doesn't matter at the public chargers you're likely to encounter 98.9% of the time when you're away from home.

the trick is actually finding a 19.2 kW charger - and that frankly is rare and uncommon - most public/business/work L2 chargers you will encounter away from home in North America are 40 amps or less…(30 amps is very very very very common).

so I would only get this option _IF_ you need to fill your Taycan from empty to full in 5 hours - and will pony up the expense for a 100 amp dedicated EV charging circuit and a $1500 EVSE in your garage…cause you ain't benefitting from it anywhere else…

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
There’s a calculator (linked below), so you can plug in whatever you want:

Taycan Charging Calculator

As other have said, it’s pretty straight forward to calculate though.

There Is slightly more loss with higher current (it’s proportional to the square) but not typically meaningful for these types of calculations.

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
Just ordered this. $1,419 inc tax and shipping at the Black Friday sale price. Can’t thank you enough for the detailed install info. Will post pics when we finish.

First Name
Vinod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Porsche Cayenne, 2023 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
new here and been reading thread as i am planning to setup the same... In the process of setting up my garage to welcome my new tayan arriving in few weeks.. RWD with performance battery plus. I just ordered the " Porsche Wall Charger Connect" as it's on sale and have got a quote from Qmerit as it's the recommended installer from porsche... they quoted $799 for installation. I am from charlotte and we have $1133 incentive from Duke energy for electrical charger setup... so considering that, the proce quoted seems ok for me and i have seen some really high cost in this thread.. let me know if i should just go ahead or get more quotes. thanks

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
new here and been reading thread as i am planning to setup the same... In the process of setting up my garage to welcome my new tayan arriving in few weeks.. RWD with performance battery plus. I just ordered the " Porsche Wall Charger Connect" as it's on sale and have got a quote from Qmerit as it's the recommended installer from porsche... they quoted $799 for installation. I am from charlotte and we have $1133 incentive from Duke energy for electrical charger setup... so considering that, the proce quoted seems ok for me and i have seen some really high cost in this thread.. let me know if i should just go ahead or get more quotes. thanks
quotes will vary wildly based on the particulars of any residential home - if your install location is close the main panel it can actually be quite cheap - if your install location is far away and difficult to reach from the main panel then your install cost can be more than the car…

i could see an install being $799 - no problem.

good luck - I hope it goes well for you.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
How far from the electrical panel and what amperage circuit is the quote for?

First Name
Vinod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Porsche Cayenne, 2023 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
quotes will vary wildly based on the particulars of any residential home - if your install location is close the main panel it can actually be quite cheap - if your install location is far away and difficult to reach from the main panel then your install cost can be more than the car…

i could see an install being $799 - no problem.

good luck - I hope it goes well for you.
My panel is on the side wall so am planning it close to the panel. I did want it to be installed on the other wall but knowing the price difference would be higher, decoded not to. Will post pics.
Sponsored