whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Near the panel. It’s the 100A (19kW) PWCC that I ordered.
$799 is not a bad install price for that. Since it's 100A, does it include a safety disconnect or it is not required by code where you live?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Near the panel. It’s the 100A (19kW) PWCC that I ordered.
100A is great - you'll love the 11 kW (or 19.2 kW depending on vehicle options)

the PWCC is adjustable from 12-80 amps (15-100 amp breaker) - so it can be installed with most any breaker/wire gauge size.

it's a nice unit - I'll look forward to hearing about your experiences.

First Name
Vinod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Porsche Cayenne, 2023 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
$799 is not a bad install price for that. Since it's 100A, does it include a safety disconnect or it is not required by code where you live?
I do not know if that's required by code but Qmerit mentioned the charges will change if there is anything additional to be done to adhere to local regulations. I think it's recommended to have hte safety disconnect? i will definitely check with them on this.

First Name
Vinod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

the PWCC is adjustable from 12-80 amps (15-100 amp breaker) - so it can be installed with most any breaker/wire gauge size.

Thanks. i will post pictures here and share my experiences. I am very excited to get my Taycan and to install hte PWCC.. i have been preparing my garage ;) by clearing up the clutter and epoxied for the new member

jhiemenz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, BMW iX M60, Porsche Taycan Turbo 4S
Country flag
PWCC works great on my Porsche. Unfortunately, can't get it to work on my new BMW iX. I've tried failing down the output to match up with BMW max (48A), but no go. Interestingly, the Porsche Mobile Charger also won't work. Anyone else try the Porsche chargers on non-Porsche EVs?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PWCC works great on my Porsche. Unfortunately, can't get it to work on my new BMW iX. I've tried failing down the output to match up with BMW max (48A), but no go. Interestingly, the Porsche Mobile Charger also won't work. Anyone else try the Porsche chargers on non-Porsche EVs?
yeah they do not work so great - this is disappointing because these things are not supposed to be vendor specific - they in fact are supposed to be agnostic and charge most any standard EV

I've given up on Porsche as my EVSE vendor and gone with one of many high quality alternatives.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I take no pleasure in this - and it is disappointing - I had high hopes for the PWCC - but this makes it a full sweep for all known Porsche EVSE's - the PMC+/PMCC/PWCC are expensive, flaky, faulty, unreliable, and incompatible - that's a complete fail across the board for Porsche in the North American residential charging environment. WOW!

First Name
Vinod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

So I have been going and forth with the electricians and also spoke to Porsche sales person. he also connected me to an installer who works only on Porsche and Tesla EV's. Looks like doing 80A is going to be expensive than i thought because of all the things that are required. he recommended J1772 or ChargePoint that will give 50A of charging. I already got the PWCC so i might have to return but i really like the wall charger.. so i was thinking to just install that with 50A support... what would be the recommendation? my thought was, if we are moving to a newer place, then i can build a 80A circuit.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I have been going and forth with the electricians and also spoke to Porsche sales person. he also connected me to an installer who works only on Porsche and Tesla EV's. Looks like doing 80A is going to be expensive than i thought because of all the things that are required. he recommended J1772 or ChargePoint that will give 50A of charging. I already got the PWCC so i might have to return but i really like the wall charger.. so i was thinking to just install that with 50A support... what would be the recommendation? my thought was, if we are moving to a newer place, then i can build a 80A circuit.
do 50/60 amp breaker and be happy - wall charger is hardwired either way

there are $700 or less hardwired options non-Porsche that will do the same - but you are good either way

60 amps would be great!

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unless you ever want to charge a non-Porsche EV?
I agree 100% @whitex - the fact that Porsche's EVSE's are demonstrating such bad compatibility rule's them out as options for me personally - but not every agrees with that as a decision criteria

I think the Porsche chargers are poor choices given price, performance and compatibility

but the Wall charger for 60 amps for VW/Audi/Porsche charging is a reasonable choice as long as you are making an informed decision with regards to price and compatibility.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I agree 100% @whitex - the fact that Porsche's EVSE's are demonstrating such bad compatibility rule's them out as options for me personally - but not every agrees with that as a decision criteria

I think the Porsche chargers are poor choices given price, performance and compatibility

but the Wall charger for 60 amps for VW/Audi/Porsche charging is a reasonable choice as long as you are making an informed decision with regards to price and compatibility.
I agree with it being a choice, just mentioning it so that people can make an informed choice rather than be surprised if a family member or a friend visits with a non-Porsche EV and it turns out they cannot charge there.

Btw, have people confirmed Porsche EVSE compatibility with all VW/Audi cars (even the early ones)?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree with it being a choice, just mentioning it so that people can make an informed choice rather than be surprised if a family member or a friend visits with a non-Porsche EV and it becoming a last minute surprise.

Btw, have people confirmed Porsche EVSE compatibility with all VW/Audi cars (even the early ones)?
my PMCC has charged an ID.4 and a audi eTron SUV - I'd be really realy surprised if they didn't work - but yeah - it's a risk which is why in my opinion the Porsche EVSE's are such a poor option

basically the only thing you can expect to work is another Porsche - and that is certainly the _ONLY_ brand you'll get _ANY_ support from Porsche if there is ever a problem...

so the issue for me is two fold:
  • they have proven there is a lack of compatibility for non Porsche brands (VW/Audi being a grey area)
  • Porsche will not provide any support or concern if their charger doesn't work for a non-Porsche vehicle (even though it should)
yeah - need to make a really informed purchase decision here.
Sponsored