daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Well I heard back from Porsche NA. "We're not allowed to advise using the Porsche Charger on any other vehicle". Kind of a non-response. Wouldn't say anything else.

So BUYER BEWARE. If you want this thing to work on any other electrical vehicle.... it should be thought of as proprietary. Not sure why it works in other areas; frustrating. Probably something specific they are doing in the communication that won't allow connection to other cars.

I thought Tesla was proprietary....but I can charge the Porsche with a Tesla charger.....
this is a miserable response and really really awful - Porsche just doesn't seem to 'get it' with regards to charging

I believe they are so focused on the ISO standard that their SAE J-1772 support is either not a priority, not a concern, poorly implemented or otherwise - it's just beyond me how they think this is ok

but here it is and this is their official position.

avoid Porsche as your North American EVSE vendor - simple as that.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gnop1950

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
this is a miserable response and really really awful - Porsche just doesn't seem to 'get it' with regards to charging

I believe they are so focused on the ISO standard that their SAE J-1772 support is either not a priority, not a concern, poorly implemented or otherwise - it's just beyond me how they think this is ok

but here it is and this is their official position.

avoid Porsche as your North American EVSE vendor - simple as that.
This is depends on your situation. I have zero interest in any EVs other than my Taycan and possibly the new Macan EV at some point for my wife. I have the PWCC installed and it has been pretty much flawless charging my Taycan daily.

I am very happy with my PWCC. I've read elsewhere that others have been able to charge other EVs using Porsche chargers, but, as you can see, that isn't something that interests me. In the grand scheme of things the charger cost is trivial compared to what I've spent, and will spend, on my cars. If needed I'd simply install another charger. I just don't see it as a big deal either way
🤷‍♂️

jhiemenz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, BMW iX M60, Porsche Taycan Turbo 4S
Country flag
This is depends on your situation. I have zero interest in any EVs other than my Taycan and possibly the new Macan EV at some point for my wife. I have the PWCC installed and it has been pretty much flawless charging my Taycan daily.

I am very happy with my PWCC. I've read elsewhere that others have been able to charge other EVs using Porsche chargers, but, as you can see, that isn't something that interests me. In the grand scheme of things the charger cost is trivial compared to what I've spent, and will spend, on my cars. If needed I'd simply install another charger. I just don't see it as a big deal either way
🤷‍♂️
That's great. I agree it works great for my Taycan Turbo S. 0 issues, and charges at the max 80A. Awesome.

But I think a lot of people as I can see on the responses have multiple EVs and would prefer a reliable one charger solution. And if forums like this can save others the wasted time of having electricians out multiple times, then I'm glad we have these groups to inform. Since I've already got the PWCC, I'll probably just add another 48v charger for non-Porsche. There really aren't that many options for 80A for the Porsche. Maybe Porsche addresses it in the software at some point. Seems to be more universal in Europe vs US.

I'm looking forward to the Macan EV as well, but bought the BMW iX M60 when they pushed out Macan into 2024 (I hope). Gotta have an SUV for haulin' stuff...

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
This is disappointing to hear as a PWCC owner. I suppose it's possible that future software updates could improve compatibility.

For what it's worth, I've been able to use my PWCC with my wife's new Audi Q4 e-tron. So perhaps there is some compatibility with VWAG brands. Not without issues - I've noticed with each session on the Q4, there are two failures to initialize before it successfully begins charging. But it does get going without intervention after a minute or so.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
this matches my experience as well with other EV's - I've moved on from Porsche as an EVSE vendor for North America - there are lots and lots of high quality alternatives that are excellent and more compatible…

just one example - there are others…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...pany…-tesla-j-1772-wall-charger-review.13163/
@daveo4EV IIRC you experienced a regression in your PMCC compatibility, i.e. you at one point we're able to charge another brand of vehicle but then a software update ended that. Yes?

For those of us who have invested in a PWCC install, if there was a regression from previous broader compatibility, perhaps there can be some hope that the regression will be fixed.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@daveo4EV IIRC you experienced a regression in your PMCC compatibility, i.e. you at one point we're able to charge another brand of vehicle but then a software update ended that. Yes?

For those of us who have invested in a PWCC install, if there was a regression from previous broader compatibility, perhaps there can be some hope that the regression will be fixed.
I agree - but when contacting Porsche Service they indicated no willingness or awareness that these chargers are supposed to be standard or generic - in fact the service manager argued with me that they are in fact 'vendor specific' - which makes no sense because public charging and VW recommending Electrify America

I agree with you technically Porsche could "fix" it with software updates (at least the PMCC and PWCC, not sure about the PMC+)

I question the "will" or engagement to "fix it" - Porsche seems unconcerned about this aspect of EV ownership or their role in EV community aspects.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I agree - but when contacting Porsche Service they indicated no willingness or awareness that these chargers are supposed to be standard or generic - in fact the service manager argued with me that they are in fact 'vendor specific' - which makes no sense because public charging and VW recommending Electrify America

I agree with you technically Porsche could "fix" it with software updates (at least the PMCC and PWCC, not sure about the PMC+)

I question the "will" or engagement to "fix it" - Porsche seems unconcerned about this aspect of EV ownership or their role in EV community aspects.
Here in Europe Porsche are rolling out a lot of the Porsche chargers as destination chargers. I believe they re trying to keep that exclusive to Porsche in order to perhaps promote more owners with money yo spre to visit hotels etc???? Personally I think that is a flawed Walled Garden approach and will fail and bring a lot of bad will.
Tesla have rolled out a lot of destination chargers as well, but they have marked some of these as Tesla unique, but there is always also one for all brands! ( it is quite easy to adjust the setting in the Tesla Wall Connector though if needed?).

seems so short sighted from Porsche to only support their own brands of vehicles especially for home charging. What were they thinking??

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here in Europe Porsche are rolling out a lot of the Porsche chargers as destination chargers. I believe they re trying to keep that exclusive to Porsche in order to perhaps promote more owners with money yo spre to visit hotels etc???? Personally I think that is a flawed Walled Garden approach and will fail and bring a lot of bad will.
Tesla have rolled out a lot of destination chargers as well, but they have marked some of these as Tesla unique, but there is always also one for all brands! ( it is quite easy to adjust the setting in the Tesla Wall Connector though if needed?).

seems so short sighted from Porsche to only support their own brands of vehicles especially for home charging. What were they thinking??
I've found the following quote to be true more often than any "plans" anyone ascribes to any person or entity…
I'm going to spot Porsche Incompetence here rather than strategy or malice - and I believe some apathy and hubris thrown in for good measure.

They simply don't care and are punting on the issue.

I see no evidence of "strategic" thinking - I simply see an overwhelmed corporation prioritizing resources and one with a deep history of not admitting mistakes and they probably honestly don't care that their EVSE is not universal even though it should be.

this is a "tech" failure vs. an engineering failure - and I deeply believe Porsche is out of it's depth on "tech" issues - but strong with their engineering…I also believe that ultimately unless they get better with the "tech" it will drag on the brand and may start to erode confidence in their engineering (I"m kinda lustful for my friends phone-as-key support with his hybrid X5, and radio silence from VW/Audi/Porsche on this feature)…

Porsche doesn't do tech - this is 100% consistent with their approach, their strengths, and their short comings…but they make a fantastic car w/mediocre tech.

Overtime my opinion is it won't go well for them with that sole focus - but time will tell and it's not an immediate problem but could be corrosive on the long haul.

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
I installed a Porsche Wall Charger Connect. Works great on my Taycan Turbo S. I just got a BMW iX and have tried everything to get the PWCC to charge it. I get error messages on the BMW.
To the guys having problems with PWCC/PMCC and a BMW iX. For a test, please can you turn off the "PLC connection to the vehicle" flag in the PWCC Settings (accessible via Wifi of PWCC)? The iX still has a quirky Plug&Charge feature and simply does not expect, that an AC equipment requests ISO15118, which the Taycan and the Porsche chargers are capable of. Normally the standard behaviour of an EV should be to fall back to PWM. But it looks like the iX is still buggy in that case.

If switching of PLC to the car helps, you may report that bug to the BMW dealer.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To the guys having problems with PWCC/PMCC and a BMW iX. For a test, please can you turn off the "PLC connection to the vehicle" flag in the PWCC Settings (accessible via Wifi of PWCC)? The iX still has a quirky Plug&Charge feature and simply does not expect, that an AC equipment requests ISO15118, which the Taycan and the Porsche chargers are capable of. Normally the standard behaviour of an EV should be to fall back to PWM. But it looks like the iX is still buggy in that case.

If switching of PLC to the car helps, you may report that bug to the BMW dealer.
this is an excellent and useful request…

in my case where PMCC has not worked with non-Porsche vehicles the PLC feature has made no difference - but again i'm not saying that won't help in this case - I'm just saying so far that has not been a catch all "fix" when tried with other vehicle's in the past.

I've had PLC disabled on my two PMCC units for a long time now and still had trouble getting non-Porsche vehicles to charge - for the most part in my case with PMCC the problem has been the PMCC internal breaker trips at some point during the charge session due to it feeding more AMP's than requested with non-Porsche vehicles - even when using fewer than 40 amps (28 amp for example) - no such problem exist when charging my Taycan w/PMCC

_IF_ disabling PLC communication "fixes" the BMW charging problem that would be useful data in this saga of Porsche EVSE's in North America

Last edited:

jhiemenz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, BMW iX M60, Porsche Taycan Turbo 4S
Country flag

I just tried the PWCC again on the BMW iX M60. Turned off Wifi, Disabled PLC. No go. "Charging Errors" on the BMW iX. Hard to know if this is the fault of the BMW or the Porsche Charger. Agree the BMW is buggy- I took it to the dealer for service and they kept it for a week clearing Fault Codes. I'm going to go to other third party chargers to see if any will work.

e4chan

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS; Acura NSX
Country flag
I recently traded in my Taycan for a BMW iX. The charger worked for a few days and now it flashes red - error said something wrong with the cable.

So - I am sure it works - but can figure out what would have caused it to stop working.

I did take off my Taycan off the Porsche app - not sure if that signaled it to stop working :(.

I will try the above suggestion. Hope it works.

MBAZ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i4, M5, Taycan GTS. 911 Cab
Country flag
My PWCC does work with my i4, the car complains a bit but still charges. No issues with the PWCC, it's doing it's part. That being said, I am not doing any software updates. I have other EVSEs for the i4 but because of this thread wanted to see if it would be an issue. So far so good.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

🤷‍♂️
That absolutely works, if you don't mind locking yourself to Porsche-only solution, never expect to rent a non-Porsche (say your Taycan was being repaired due to an accident) and never plan to let any guests charge non-Porsche EV's (or just never invite anyone who owns a non-Porsche EV), etc. Different people have different requirements. I for example couldn't care less if the Taycan launch mode was disabled, since I don't ever plan to use it, but I bet there are Taycan owners who would really have an issue with that.
Sponsored