Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Using a Tesla and waiting for Taycan, often wondering how will I get used not to have camera system that is standard as a safety on Tesla as well.
This happened to my car today and got the guy in an hour with the help of the TeslaCam recording.
Seems small damage on pic, but it is PPF, ceramic, painting, and a dent too....

So after the security of Tesla, living in the wild life with 3 times more expensive car will take a lot of joy from daily usage.
Unfortunately aftermarket cameras see back/front only, not a solution for side "things".

On the other hand Surround View maybe could be with front-rear-and side mirrors cameras. Should be a software issue(?)

Porsche Taycan PorscheCam needed(?) IMG_2285
Sponsored

Last edited:

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Dang, that sucks to see. So you tracked the guy down and he’s paying for the damage?

ismelllikepoop

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 T
Country flag
do people really open doors that strongly right next to another car? i guess most people don't give a crap about anyone else's things.

Taycanowner22

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Using a Tesla and waiting for Taycan, often wondering how will I get used not to have camera system that is standard as a safety on Tesla as well.
This happened to my car today and got the guy in an hour with the help of the TeslaCam recording.
Seems small damage on pic, but it is PPF, ceramic, painting, and a dent too....

So after the security of Tesla, living in the wild life with 3 times more expensive car will take a lot of joy from daily usage.
Unfortunately aftermarket cameras see back/front only, not a solution for side "things".

On the other hand Surround View maybe could be with front-rear-and side mirrors cameras. Should be a software issue(?)

IMG_2285.jpg
From reading your post, I have anxiety after living with Teslas only for the past 2 years, getting my Taycan w/o even a basic security cam installed. Going to have to get an aftermarket one installed. Seems so low tech.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
You can setup 3rd party cameras for more than just forward/backwards (worst case install two dual camera setups for a 4 camera coverage). I have 2 Teslas today, one has the dashcam feature, but prior experience with Tesla software led me to just install 3rd party and leave the Tesla functionality alone as the beta feature that it is. Sometimes it works, sometimes it has gaps in recording, or won't erase the old stuff - really not worth having to check every time Tesla sends a software update whether of not this time they screwed something up again. After over 8 years of Teslas, I'm kind of tired of being the beta tester. I gotta give credit to Elon's genius though, get people to pay him to test his products. For example Tesla is apparently signing on 1000 people a month now who paid $10,000 each to test Tesla's FSD product (in their own cars at the own risk).

That said, I hack cars for fun. How much would you pay for a 3rd party add on which records from Taycan's cameras?

OP
OP
Bognar67

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can setup 3rd party cameras for more than just forward/backwards (worst case install two dual camera setups for a 4 camera coverage). I have 2 Teslas today, one has the dashcam feature, but prior experience with Tesla software led me to just install 3rd party and leave the Tesla functionality alone as the beta feature that it is. Sometimes it works, sometimes it has gaps in recording, or won't erase the old stuff - really not worth having to check every time Tesla sends a software update whether of not this time they screwed something up again. After over 8 years of Teslas, I'm kind of tired of being the beta tester. I gotta give credit to Elon's genius though, get people to pay him to test his products. For example Tesla is apparently signing on 1000 people a month now who paid $10,000 each to test Tesla's FSD product (in their own cars at the own risk).

That said, I hack cars for fun. How much would you pay for a 3rd party add on which records from Taycan's cameras?
Well, my TeslaCam is working perfectly in my 2019 M3P, no problem with it at all. On the other hand 3rd party solution would be great for the Taycan, but worry about warranty issues next to that Taycans are produce various electric troubles and easy to blame aftermarket things installed. So we will see, but would be happy with a 3rd party add on which records from Taycan's cameras, for sure.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Well, my TeslaCam is working perfectly in my 2019 M3P, no problem with it at all. On the other hand 3rd party solution would be great for the Taycan, but worry about warranty issues next to that Taycans are produce various electric troubles and easy to blame aftermarket things installed. So we will see, but would be happy with a 3rd party add on which records from Taycan's cameras, for sure.
Like you I found the tesla cam to work flawlessly.
I have a blackvue cam hardwired to the car, it was professionally installed and after a few months it has not caused any electrical issues.

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

@whitex I would definitely pay for this but doubt feasible without access to the cars API and cameras outside the PCM. And cost needs to be loweror at most equal to 2x 2Channel Blackvue for example (aprox 800$ without install)

OP
OP
Bognar67

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Like you I found the tesla cam to work flawlessly.
I have a blackvue cam hardwired to the car, it was professionally installed and after a few months it has not caused any electrical issues.
I do not worry (real) problems caused by the 3rd party cam system, but blaming it for any electrical troubles. I mean it is an easy answer by the service for any kind of problem. If you do not installed anything they cannot forward the responsibility.

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I think all cars will have camera systems like Tesla’s Sentry mode in the near future. I just watched a review of the BMW iX and it has a similar system. Sentry mode in our TM3P recently allowed us to track down the owner of the car that backed into our car and damaged the fender. That saved us $1300 since the other owner’s insurance had to pay for the repair. Not having a similar system in our Taycan adds to our reluctance to park it in locations where it may be subject to door dings, etc.