PORSHE TAYCAN TURBO missing electric steering wheel due to parts shortage? Really?

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
My dealer told me that my car delivery UK COULD BE MISSING SOME MINOR BITS as they are shipping for the suppling dealer to complete when parts become available !!!! this includes some sensor covers electric steering adjustment second set of keys etc,,
I'm in a similar situation, UK Cross Turismo arrived from the factory last week with a defective part for the dealer to fix however the part is not currently available so the long wait continues.
Sponsored

SeanY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering 2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I just found that my RWD also has manual steering column adjustment, even though the car has the 14-way seat. I thought it's because of RWD but not. I'll check with the dealer.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
I just found that my RWD also has manual steering column adjustment, even though the car has the 14-way seat. I thought it's because of RWD but not. I'll check with the dealer.
This is the darkest side of the story. Dealers/manufacturer keeps quiet playing a game customers might not recognize the missing functions. They are delivering cars without notice. It is unbelievable/unacceptable law braking habit.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
RWD 14-Way includes as well! -
Porsche Taycan PORSHE TAYCAN TURBO missing electric steering wheel due to parts shortage? Really? Képernyőfotó 2021-07-24 - 21.47.38
They should notify you latest at delivery, this function is missing against the spec. SCANDAL.

Last edited:

RichardPB

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT Gentian Blue /retired AR Quadrifolio
Country flag
My dealer has said a thorough audit will be completed at PDI listing all missing item works to be completed etc. not satisfactory i know i ought to ask for a discount on the lease until the car is 100% complete as specified.

RichardPB

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT Gentian Blue /retired AR Quadrifolio
Country flag
I'm in a similar situation, UK Cross Turismo arrived from the factory last week with a defective part for the dealer to fix however the part is not currently available so the long wait continues.
defective or missing what part please I'm hoping to collect mine next week

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The consequence to them is that you don’t buy the car. ?‍♂
Other possible consequences: Loss of customer trust & satisfaction. And depending on the country, possibly a lawsuit. Whether or not the customer would win and whether it's worth it - who knows. But the publicity alone is something Porsche probably doesn't want.

In the cases where the car was delivered without notice that it's not actually "to spec", the customer might actually have some legal grounds to stand on...

They should be reinforcing that buying a car from Porsche is a better experience and more reliable/trustworthy than Tesla - not showing Tesla how to do it even worse.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Other possible consequences: Loss of customer trust & satisfaction.
I can agree with those. But I can’t get behind the idea that Porsche or the dealership should pay someone for walking away from a car that didn’t arrive as expected.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks that way should probably make sure to option PDCC in case their enormous sense of entitlement affects driving dynamics. Bonus to get their “payout” if the car shows up without it. ?

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
When the dealership is invoiced for the car, which occurs when the car leaves the port, the invoice includes a list of any open “campaigns” for the car, which includes issues like the steering column. If you think it’s being hidden from you it’s on your dealer. I’d prefer to know sooner but would still prefer to get the car vs wait another 6 months. This is being done with other models and other manufacturers. Some are just deleting options entirely. Communication should be better, no doubt. Mine is nearing the port and the SM has assured me that I will know as soon as he is invoiced.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I can agree with those. But I can’t get behind the idea that Porsche or the dealership should pay someone for walking away from a car that didn’t arrive as expected.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks that way should probably make sure to option PDCC in case their enormous sense of entitlement affects driving dynamics. Bonus to get their “payout” if the car shows up without it. ?
Porsche knows the car is not up-to-spec when it builds it.
They had the option of letting the impacted customer know at that point.
The customer receives it 6-8 weeks later, emotionally and financially increasingly committed.
(e.g. down payments made, other cars possibly sold, charger installed in those weeks, etc.)

If the customer is only told at the time of delivery, that kind of "bait and switch" behavior could be construed as conducting business in bad faith and/or breach of contract.

If the customer isn't even told at delivery, but finds out after the fact (like a number of users seem to be reporting), then there's even more "meat on the bone". This goes doubly for any feature that is something the customer explicitly paid extra for.

I don't like the "reward me with points and or money any time something doesn't go perfectly" either.

But it's really shitty for Porsche to just try and slip it through. No emails, no announcements, etc. And the kicker is: for many of us, the dealer/sales rep/"brand ambassador" has been in contact several times, notifying that the build started, finished, the car is on the boat, etc. "Track your dream" similarly is a good surface to warn customers early.

We shall see how they handle my delivery (and whether/what is missing).
I can tell you: had they told me in June (when the car was built), I probably would have made peace with it (depending on what exactly is missing). Although I think the quality impact concerns are real. If they try to just sneak it past me, I will consider my options. Up to and including legal ones.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche knows the car is not up-to-spec when it builds it.
They had the option of letting the impacted customer know at that point.
The customer receives it 6-8 weeks later, emotionally and financially increasingly committed.
(e.g. down payments made, other cars possibly sold, charger installed in those weeks, etc.)

If the customer is only told at the time of delivery, that kind of "bait and switch" behavior could be construed as conducting business in bad faith and/or breach of contract.

If the customer isn't even told at delivery, but finds out after the fact (like a number of users seem to be reporting), then there's even more "meat on the bone". This goes doubly for any feature that is something the customer explicitly paid extra for.

I don't like the "reward me with points and or money any time something doesn't go perfectly" either.

But it's really shitty for Porsche to just try and slip it through. No emails, no announcements, etc. And the kicker is: for many of us, the dealer/sales rep/"brand ambassador" has been in contact several times, notifying that the build started, finished, the car is on the boat, etc. "Track your dream" similarly is a good surface to warn customers early.

We shall see how they handle my delivery (and whether/what is missing).
I can tell you: had they told me in June (when the car was built), I probably would have made peace with it (depending on what exactly is missing). Although I think the quality impact concerns are real. If they try to just sneak it past me, I will consider my options. Up to and including legal ones.
I’ve been seeing this on Rennlist for some time so not surprised and it does make it easier to accept. Some mentioned getting an email from Porsche NA well ahead of delivery but no idea why that’s hit and miss. See previous post - my SM is notified on the invoice of any open issues. Ive done a lot of business with him and speak with him regularly- and have no reason to doubt him. Check it out with yours.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve been seeing this on Rennlist for some time so not surprised and it does make it easier to accept. Some mentioned getting an email from Porsche NA well ahead of delivery but no idea why that’s hit and miss. See previous post - my SM is notified on the invoice of any open issues. Ive done a lot of business with him and speak with him regularly- and have no reason to doubt him. Check it out with yours.
I don't think one can really trust what mine says. Well, I guess you can trust, just don't be surprised when your trust isn't rewarded.

We'd agreed on a specific MF which he then silently changed when we made other changes to the lease (not enough for me to notice in the moment given that there were a number of changes in flight, but enough to matter). When I told them at deal close that the experience of buying a 130K car could really be a bit more pleasant, they just gave me a slimy smile along with a "it's how it is".

Getting a delivery timeline update was like pulling teeth (Track Your Dream took a while to activate for some reason). Every time I heard the "I swear we will update you once something changes!" and of course they would not. I'd check in 7-10 days later, the car will have progressed through the system another n steps, and they've done nothing. (I'm OK if they say "we can't keep you updated, sorry" - just don't lie to me).

Welcome to PNW. Seattle and Bellevue have miserable car dealers. Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedes. 8 cars, every single time there's been drama. Not minor things either.

The Mercedes was damaged during transport (massive dent on roof, my bet is some chains or hooks from the truck fell on it), and the damage was hidden with bondo + spray paint - I kid you not. Audi tried sneaking in things into the deal. BMW almost didn't have the car ready for Euro delivery because the dealer forgot to send some authorization documents (no biggy, just a family vacation planned around having a nice new car in Europe!). Just thinking about the car buying experience gets me angry and aggressive. I mean the negotiation/deal itself, and just dealing with the people at the dealership (not the picking and test driving etc.). Tesla, Rivian, Lucid have a HUGE advantage in that regard (this applies mostly to the US, I think).

I've heard better things from Bellingham - maybe next time I'll make the trek if it's another Porsche.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

ha-ha-ha.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think one can really trust what mine says. Well, I guess you can trust, just don't be surprised when your trust isn't rewarded.

We'd agreed on a specific MF which he then silently changed when we made other changes to the lease (not enough for me to notice in the moment given that there were a number of changes in flight, but enough to matter). When I told them at deal close that the experience of buying a 130K car could really be a bit more pleasant, they just gave me a slimy smile along with a "it's how it is".

Getting a delivery timeline update was like pulling teeth (Track Your Dream took a while to activate for some reason). Every time I heard the "I swear we will update you once something changes!" and of course they would not. I'd check in 7-10 days later, the car will have progressed through the system another n steps, and they've done nothing. (I'm OK if they say "we can't keep you updated, sorry" - just don't lie to me).

Welcome to PNW. Seattle and Bellevue have miserable car dealers. Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedes. 8 cars, every single time there's been drama. Not minor things either.

The Mercedes was damaged during transport (massive dent on roof, my bet is some chains or hooks from the truck fell on it), and the damage was hidden with bondo + spray paint - I kid you not. Audi tried sneaking in things into the deal. BMW almost didn't have the car ready for Euro delivery because the dealer forgot to send some authorization documents (no biggy, just a family vacation planned around having a nice new car in Europe!). Just thinking about the car buying experience gets me angry and aggressive. I mean the negotiation/deal itself, and just dealing with the people at the dealership (not the picking and test driving etc.). Tesla, Rivian, Lucid have a HUGE advantage in that regard (this applies mostly to the US, I think).

I've heard better things from Bellingham - maybe next time I'll make the trek if it's another Porsche.
Used to live there (Mercer Island), but that was some time ago. It's a different world there now. My dealership is lower volume and they do provide very good service and very proactive communications. For non-TYD vehicles he sends me printouts from PSVM system once a week. And the SM and I have a personal relationship - including golf, other socializing. I have zero concerns that he'd be BS-ing me. Zero. So all I'm saying is jerk your dealership's chain when they're invoiced - or ask them if they've even looked at recent ones. Sorry to hear that they are so useless. Fortunately they're not all the same.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Used to live there (Mercer Island), but that was some time ago. It's a different world there now. My dealership is lower volume and they do provide very good service and very proactive communications. For non-TYD vehicles he sends me printouts from PSVM system once a week. And the SM and I have a personal relationship - including golf, other socializing. I have zero concerns that he'd be BS-ing me. Zero. So all I'm saying is jerk your dealership's chain when they're invoiced - or ask them if they've even looked at recent ones. Sorry to hear that they are so useless. Fortunately they're not all the same.
I've sent an email, let's see what they say. the problem is that they will likely come back with either "we don't know" (nevermind that they probably took 0 steps to find out) or "it's all OK to our knowledge" (again, probably with 0 steps undertaken).

One shouldn't have to be golf buddies to get decent service. I'm not asking them to go an extra mile - just asking for honesty.
Sponsored