Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
As someone who has been at loggerheads with Porsche over a possible price increase to cover a no deal Brexit scenario I am now happy to report it has all been sorted - For me, anyway!

Porsche’s revised stance is as follows:

Anyone with an order placed for a Porsche pre-August then Porsche will not pass any tariff rise on to you associated with a no deal Brexit.

Anyone with an order placed after August will have to agree, in writing, to an estimated 10% tariff increase, however, should your car arrive before the 28th of February 2021 you will not have this increase passed on (as is, hopefully, my case).

Hope this puts a lot of minds at rest. It certainly has cheered me up as I was prepared to walk away from my build.

I will just state the obvious, that this applies to cars imported into Britain only.
Sponsored

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Nice info, thanks.
Don't suppose you got any of that in writing? :fingerscrossed:

I ordered October but wasn't asked (and still haven't been) to sign a waiver. But then my Turbo was expected December 2020, as opposed to March 20201 if I took a 4S. Does seem a little hit-and-miss.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the email rhetoric explaining as much & a lot of telephone conversations clarifying the finer details. I’m happy with what’s been explained although it took some getting there.

Redders

First Name
Antony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mercedes E240 Est, BMW 420d Sport Conv
Country flag
As someone who has been at loggerheads with Porsche over a possible price increase to cover a no deal Brexit scenario I am now happy to report it has all been sorted - For me, anyway!

Porsche’s revised stance is as follows:

Anyone with an order placed for a Porsche pre-August then Porsche will not pass any tariff rise on to you associated with a no deal Brexit.

Anyone with an order placed after August will have to agree, in writing, to an estimated 10% tariff increase, however, should your car arrive before the 28th of February 2021 you will not have this increase passed on (as is, hopefully, my case).

Hope this puts a lot of minds at rest. It certainly has cheered me up as I was prepared to walk away from my build.

I will just state the obvious, that this applies to cars imported into Britain only.
I was told that my car needs to be registered and taxed and before 31st Dec to avoid any increase in tariff. I’d have thought any tariff would be triggered when the vehicle clears customs at the UK port. I suppose this is uncharted territory. Does anyone have a view on how this works?

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was told that my car needs to be registered and taxed and before 31st Dec to avoid any increase in tariff. I’d have thought any tariff would be triggered when the vehicle clears customs at the UK port. I suppose this is uncharted territory. Does anyone have a view on how this works?
That’s the reason I was at loggerheads with my Porsche centre.
I was categorically told the cut off point will actually be the end of Feb & not January 1st 2021 as a sort of transition period.

I’ve refused to sign any amendment to order agreeing to 110% of the order price regardless of whether this is true or not.

I have been misinformed before, so buyer beware.

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
I was told landed in the UK on or before 31/12 but either could be true. Given I have done a contract hire deal for mine at the invoice price in September, would they rip that up and start again if it went into January? Probably if we have to pay the extra 10% but equally if that pushes it out of my budget (or more likely on the principle point) then they lose a sale.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was told landed in the UK on or before 31/12 but either could be true. Given I have done a contract hire deal for mine at the invoice price in September, would they rip that up and start again if it went into January? Probably if we have to pay the extra 10% but equally if that pushes it out of my budget (or more likely on the principle point) then they lose a sale.
I’m negotiating to lease mine through my business. Just going through the application process currently.
I’ve drawn my line in the sand & said if there is a price increase then I want my deposit back.
I ordered mine & placed my deposit in June but as I jumped from a Turbo S to a Turbo and then back to a Turbo S they took the order date at the last change, which was September.
Apparently I should have been informed about the revised contract & made to sign the amendment then but never was.
My CP8 date is this Friday, which is a week later than initially scheduled. Personally I don’t think I’ve got a cat in Hells chance of the car being here before the 1st of Jan.

Time will tell.

Good luck to everyone else who may find themselves in a similar predicament.

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
I’m negotiating to lease mine through my business. Just going through the application process currently.
I’ve drawn my line in the sand & said if there is a price increase then I want my deposit back.
I ordered mine & placed my deposit in June but as I jumped from a Turbo S to a Turbo and then back to a Turbo S they took the order date at the last change, which was September.
Apparently I should have been informed about the revised contract & made to sign the amendment then but never was.
My CP8 date is this Friday, which is a week later than initially scheduled. Personally I don’t think I’ve got a cat in Hells chance of the car being here before the 1st of Jan.

Time will tell.

Good luck to everyone else who may find themselves in a similar predicament.
Good luck and hope you scrape through. My delaer would not accept the order without the signature but I can't see it being easy to vary the finance x months after the agreement was signed.

SYN_Skydance

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s and MG ZS EV
Country flag
I ordered my car in Oct with a Jan lockdown and a March 2021 delivery date. I wasn’t told about any expected price increase when I paid my deposit, nor have I signed any documents stating such increase.

I have since queried this with my Porsche dealer and he said he had got some for me to sign. Still not seen any documents. Maybe he will want me to sign when the vehicle locks down.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ordered my car in Oct with a Jan lockdown and a March 2021 delivery date. I wasn’t told about any expected price increase when I paid my deposit, nor have I signed any documents stating such increase.

I have since queried this with my Porsche dealer and he said he had got some for me to sign. Still not seen any documents. Maybe he will want me to sign when the vehicle locks down.
With a no deal looking more likely than not then, unless Porsche will absorb any import tariffs, it is likely you will be liable. It’s poor showing that the numerous OPC’s within Britain are not explaining this. After all 10% of a lot of money is a lot of money.
Effectively what you will be given is an amendment to contract, like this one I was asked to sign a few weeks ago. This is saying you are happy to pay up to 110% of the purchase price.

Good luck & let me know how you get on.

Porsche Taycan Post Brexit deliveries into Britain. DAFF8F39-8E2D-4B13-828D-9E3DD51D95E3

Porsche Taycan Post Brexit deliveries into Britain. 3BD2961C-5351-45D7-84FD-E358538367CC

Last edited:

MadCan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Defender P400e. Taycan 4S Perf+
Country flag
. This is saying you are happy to pay up to 110% of the
I was presented with this letter days after signing my order. The amended clause in mine and yours differs from the wording in the covering letter and actually states we will pay 110% of the order price not ‘up to’.

This is wrong many counts:
  • Any tariff applied may not be 10%
  • The tarried applied should be on the net value of the vehicle when landed i.e. net of VAT & dealer margin.
  • there is also provision in the covering letter to apply unspecified ‘admin charges’. I’m not into signing open cheques.

I’ve refused to sign the letter and agreed that we will take stock when my 4S lockdown date arrives. This was due first week of Jan (October order) but has now been pushed back as apparently no slots have been allocated for January and April delivery looks most likely. My dealer won’t clarify if this applied to all UK OPC’s or just theirs. I’d be interested to know if others have had their 4S delivery date pushed back?

If Porsche do insist on applying the full 10% uplift and admin charges I shall probably cancel out of principle as it smacks of profiteering and high handed ness, rather than genuine commercial need, especially given the traditionally high margins German manufacturers enjoy in the UK that is colloquially termed ‘Treasure Island’ by them.

If the 10% is applied to the net import cost I might take it in the chin.

It’ll be a nail biting few weeks...

SYN_Skydance

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s and MG ZS EV
Country flag
Hi MadCan.

They were my thoughts exactly. 10% extra on the price Porsche pay, to import the vehicle, isn’t the same as 10% of the price they retail the vehicle for.

I am expecting an increase but even with Porsche’s normal annual increase in price, I’m hoping it want be as much as 10%.

Let’s hope we get a last minute trade deal that excludes any price increase for “electric vehicles” ...... one can only dream

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My car has arrived at the docks in Grimsby, ahead of time, so I guess a 2020 collection may be on the cards after all.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
If Porsche do insist on applying the full 10% uplift and admin charges I shall probably cancel out of principle as it smacks of profiteering and high handed ness, rather than genuine commercial need, especially given the traditionally high margins German manufacturers enjoy in the UK that is colloquially termed ‘Treasure Island’ by them.
Is it called that? Interesting!

But do you also see, that the exchange rate EUR/GBP is 0.911 or 1.097 Euros per Pound. That is historically low and could easily drop another 5% in January and beyond that.

And why would Porsche offer to pay your taxes? Didn't you vote to leave? It certainly wasn't Porsche in Germany!
Sponsored