First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Is it called that? Interesting!

But do you also see, that the exchange rate EUR/GBP is 0.911 or 1.097 Euros per Pound. That is historically low and could easily drop another 5% in January and beyond that.

And why would Porsche offer to pay your taxes? Didn't you vote to leave? It certainly wasn't Porsche in Germany!
This is turning political and I feel you’re missing the point.

Most of us weren’t informed about any rise when we handed over our deposits.
Regardless of the reason behind the rise it was up to Porsche to communicate this rise and leave us with a choice of whether to proceed or not. As it stood my options were proceed & pay £15k more, cancel and (potentially) lose my deposit, or fight. So I chose the latter.

I started this thread to inform. So no one else found themselves in my position. It wasn’t started to get into a political slanging match.

Exchange rates fluctuate and yes Brexit certainly hasn’t helped but your comments felt like a dig and in this instance are unhelpful.

Within this forum I have read a lot of comments from British people unhappy with Brexit and a few who are. That is part of being a democracy.

Thanks
Sponsored

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
This thread must be an interesting read for non-Brits - something else for Brits to be moaning about, over a completely self-inflicted issue!

If you're local dealer didn't inform you about the potential price hike before taking your deposit (assuming it was in the last couple of months when the no-deal was looking more likely) then I agree it's pretty crap of them. My dealer is generally rubbish, but they did warn me back in July that this might be something Porsche would do (though I think to push my purchase forward to help their books rather than help me).

Generally speaking (not directed at anyone in particular) I'm not sure I agree with the suggestions in this thread that Porsche GB are somehow taking advantage of the situation to screw some extra money out of us. I'm sure they don't want to deal with this situation any more than we do. I can't imagine the logistical and administrative nightmares they're going to have to deal with getting vehicles into this country after 1st Jan, at least until things become more settled after the transition. Sorting all of that crap out is going to take many extra hours of work and has to be paid for somehow. So I can see that just increasing the sale price to the customer penny-for-penny to match the import duty probably isn't reasonable - there's more to the cost of the importing than that. There must be other business owners on here who trade with the EU and are having to consider similar measures for their sales.

It's a shitty situation. But none of us *have* to accept this price increase, right? We all have the option of walking away. Now maybe we don't want to because we've been waiting for months, but that would be *our* choice to do that - it's not like Porsche are going to *force* us to buy the car at an increase of 10% in price over what was originally agreed. We always have the option of cancelling and re-ordering if/when any deal or change in import duty gets applied.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This thread must be an interesting read for non-Brits - something else for Brits to be moaning about, over a completely self-inflicted issue!

If you're local dealer didn't inform you about the potential price hike before taking your deposit (assuming it was in the last couple of months when the no-deal was looking more likely) then I agree it's pretty crap of them. My dealer is generally rubbish, but they did warn me back in July that this might be something Porsche would do (though I think to push my purchase forward to help their books rather than help me).

Generally speaking (not directed at anyone in particular) I'm not sure I agree with the suggestions in this thread that Porsche GB are somehow taking advantage of the situation to screw some extra money out of us. I'm sure they don't want to deal with this situation any more than we do. I can't imagine the logistical and administrative nightmares they're going to have to deal with getting vehicles into this country after 1st Jan, at least until things become more settled after the transition. Sorting all of that crap out is going to take many extra hours of work and has to be paid for somehow. So I can see that just increasing the sale price to the customer penny-for-penny to match the import duty probably isn't reasonable - there's more to the cost of the importing than that. There must be other business owners on here who trade with the EU and are having to consider similar measures for their sales.

It's a shitty situation. But none of us *have* to accept this price increase, right? We all have the option of walking away. Now maybe we don't want to because we've been waiting for months, but that would be *our* choice to do that - it's not like Porsche are going to *force* us to buy the car at an increase of 10% in price over what was originally agreed. We always have the option of cancelling and re-ordering if/when any deal or change in import duty gets applied.
I totally agree that the whole leave situation is a mess and not helped by either side being unable to agree on anything.
It kind of feels like we will be late to our own funeral.

I was not told of any potential price increases until about 3 weeks ago and that was only because I heard a rumour (maybe in this forum) so asked my sales advisor. Now considering my car arrived into the U.K. on Sunday that was what what I would call a close shave. Playing Russian roulette with a £10k deposit or a £15k price increase wasn’t fun and I never felt throughout all of this time that I really had a clear choice. This was wrong on so many levels.

I own a business and export, so poor exchange rate is perversely good for me. However, I also import raw materials so in that respect it’s exceptionally bad.

I’d like to get back on topic and say regardless of how this situation arose it is the responsibility of the Porsche network to keep the client informed and to be presented with all of the clear paths open to him.
That was certainly not the case with me.

Good luck to all those receiving cars early next year. I hope your experience was a lot smoother than mine.

Looking forward to spamming the group with pictures very soon.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover - Defender - Taycan Turbo arriving soon
Country flag
My car has arrived at the docks in Grimsby, ahead of time, so I guess a 2020 collection may be on the cards after all.
Have you been given a date of handover and where are you collecting from ?

Alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW 435i, X5, Range Rover Sport TDV8
Country flag
Mine was an early October order which I'm told will be with me 1st or 2nd week in March. They happily took my deposit before dropping the 'sign here please' with regards to the possible 10% uplift in the case of no deal.

Sales guy then mentioned the Porsche yearly price increase which hasn't been agreed but shouldn't be more than 'a few hundred quid' if it does happen.

It's been difficult keeping in contact since October to be honest, with staff being furloughed their out of office simply said "out of office until further notice" - I've only really had 2 conversations on the phone with them, a few emails and some contact with another guy at the OPC when I borrowed one for a few hours.

Who knows what's going to happen. I've ordered 2x 4s at a total cost of £240,000 so 10% + a small Porsche increase is quite a chunk to be gambling with!!

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’d like to get back on topic and say regardless of how this situation arose it is the responsibility of the Porsche network to keep the client informed and to be presented with all of the clear paths open to him.
That was certainly not the case with me.
I just went back through my order correspondence and I actually signed a "Brexit" +10% letter back in September 2019! Weird how some dealers have their finger on the pulse with this but others, like in your case, have to be asked - pretty poor job!

Glad to hear you've squeaked in under the deadline though, look forward to seeing the "spam" photos!

Last edited:

Martinl

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag

Regardless of the reason behind the rise it was up to Porsche to communicate this rise and leave us with a choice of whether to proceed or not. As it stood my options were proceed & pay £15k more, cancel and (potentially) lose my deposit, or fight. So I chose the latter.

I started this thread to inform. So no one else found themselves in my position. It wasn’t started to get into a political slanging match.

Exchange rates fluctuate and yes Brexit certainly hasn’t helped but your comments felt like a dig and in this instance are unhelpful.

Within this forum I have read a lot of comments from British people unhappy with Brexit and a few who are. That is part of being a democracy.

Thanks
Just my own experience. When I dropped my deposit, the dealer explained that Porsche do *not* fix prices between the deposit being left and the car being delivered. Any Porsche increases between the deposit being accepted and me picking up the car were likely to be applied. I checked this with a few friends who are long term Porsche advocates and they said this was how Porsche does business.

There was then a separate conversation about brexit and the reality that a no deal Brexit would have an increase of up to 10 percent applied to the car.

But the dealer was able to give me a slot that was only 1 to 2 months after the deposit which negated any risk of price increase or Brexit tariff. It wasn't perfect for me but it got me the car early :)

Taking the politics out of this, I'd suggest your dealer wasn't great at making you aware of key facts prior to purchase. I on the other hand had several finance related conversations with the dealer before dropping the deposit.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

Thanks
I agree, as frustrating and annoying it is, to get a higher bill as originally anticipated, the Brexit was a long thing coming. Tax increases are almost inevitable, unless your gov decides to slash VAT or other taxes on car imports, which might help you.

Exchange rate is an important marker in our exporting business in terms of profitability. I assume, that this is similar to Porsche.

Side note: I have paid way more on taxes for my car than anybody on this forum, besides the guy in Thailand, and certainly way more than anybody in the UK.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you been given a date of handover and where are you collecting from ?
Between Christmas & New Year has been mooted. I won’t mention the dealership other than to say it’s in the North East.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just my own experience. When I dropped my deposit, the dealer explained that Porsche do *not* fix prices between the deposit being left and the car being delivered. Any Porsche increases between the deposit being accepted and me picking up the car were likely to be applied. I checked this with a few friends who are long term Porsche advocates and they said this was how Porsche does business.

There was then a separate conversation about brexit and the reality that a no deal Brexit would have an increase of up to 10 percent applied to the car.

But the dealer was able to give me a slot that was only 1 to 2 months after the deposit which negated any risk of price increase or Brexit tariff. It wasn't perfect for me but it got me the car early :)

Taking the politics out of this, I'd suggest your dealer wasn't great at making you aware of key facts prior to purchase. I on the other hand had several finance related conversations with the dealer before dropping the deposit.
Agree communication has been woeful and I’ve been lucky really as it could have been much much worse.

This is my 4th Porsche from the same dealership & I understand prices can fluctuate up to lockdown, but in no other situation would you be expected to just take such a gigantic price rise on the chin.

Options were all I wanted.

I’ve been recently looking at a 992 Turbo (non S model) but won’t do anything until the lay of the land has settled post Brexit.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Distant observation from a Belgian-born American: it sucks mightily to be ambushed with a 10% Brexit-driven price increase after one has already signed a purchase order at a moment when the dealer had not mentioned anything about such surprise tax. I too would be tempted to walk away, just for the principle of it as it is the only expression of protest available. Objectively speaking, though, even with a 10% additional tax the Taycan still seems to be cheaper in the UK than it is in Germany. I just looked at the UK and German Porsche websites and a base Taycan is offered at EUR 103,802 in Germany and at GBP 83,580 in the UK. @feye cited a currency conversion rate of 1.097. Assuming that VAT is 20% in the UK and 19% in Germany, and ignoring any differences in the base Taycan specs between the UK and Germany, a Taycan seems to be 14% more expensive (pre-VAT) in Germany than it is in the UK, at least at this very moment.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
What is the logic behind the 10 % number? Does that reflect an actual cost or is it just meant as a ballpark number to protect them from further expenses?

Here in Norway, the price of the car went up with around 50 000 NOK when the Euro skyrocketed back in March. It never came back down.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What is the logic behind the 10 % number? Does that reflect an actual cost or is it just meant as a ballpark number to protect them from further expenses?

Here in Norway, the price of the car went up with around 50 000 NOK when the Euro skyrocketed back in March. It never came back down.
Porsche claim the 10% figure was taken from the U.K. Global tariff as a reasonable benchmark.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag

MadCan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Defender P400e. Taycan 4S Perf+
Country flag
Is it called that? Interesting!

But do you also see, that the exchange rate EUR/GBP is 0.911 or 1.097 Euros per Pound. That is historically low and could easily drop another 5% in January and beyond that.

And why would Porsche offer to pay your taxes? Didn't you vote to leave? It certainly wasn't Porsche in Germany!
Actually I didn’t vote to leave but the way the European politicians are behaving makes me wonder if those that did were right...but this isn’t the forum for politics.

My point isn’t that Porsche should absorb any Tariffs, (I’ll take those on the chin) it’s that they shouldn’t take the opportunity to inflate margins by applying a 10% Tarrif on the retail value rather than the ex works value (the difference could easily be £3-4K) and also that if I’m making a legal commitment to accepting an admin. charge I want to know what it is before doing so; as I’m sure would you if you decided to buy a Bentley or Aston next year.
Sponsored