gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
I always use a pro steering wheel lock for my cars which acts as a great deterrent. Keys are kept separate. Hidden in the house. So, unless you have a silent angle grinder and 30 minutes to spare the crims are out of luck. However, I have just signed up for the tracker system about 4 months after getting the car. Not because I am particularly concerned it is a target. You will have to get the steering wheel lock off first. But, mainly because speaking to my EV lease company (Octopus) the Taycan waiting list was 70 weeks with them. It's not my car so if it gets stolen so what, but waiting 70 weeks is a deal breaker for another one.
Sponsored

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I’m still thinking about the extra hassle of the steering lock. Do you have comfort access on your car ?

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I’m still thinking about the extra hassle of the steering lock. Do you have comfort access on your car ?
I use one on my X5 when it is parked in a public area, it is garaged at night and often in a gated private car park during the day so not too much hassle to use occasionally. If you read the reviews on any pro steering lock they only take a few minutes to remove so I see them as a deterrent only, with the X5 there will be another 6 similar models in the station car park so the steering lock will hopefully mean a would be thief will choose another vehicle. If it is a Taycan they are after .......

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
In the late '80s I had to overnight park a Sierra Cosworth on a city street in sight of a main arterial road- it was broken in to many times with all kinds of security devices being defeated except for a simple hidden switch (can't remember whether it was on ignition or fuel pump circuit) that cost £15 to have installed. The car never got taken, though the cost and inconvenience of regularly replacing glass, locks etc. took the edge off the ownership experience.

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
It's not that much hassle especially with comfort access since the car unlocks when you touch the driver door handle (or rear door handle if it's playing up and being awkward which is 50% of the time). You only need to get the steering wheel lock key out and unlock it and remove as you get in. It's not like you 1) get Porsche key out unlock car 2) put Porsche key away, 3) get steering wheel lock out and unlock. That would be a bit more tedious. But then are we musing over a first world problem spending an extra 10 secs getting a steering wheel lock key out, unlocking, removing and chucking on the back seat as you sit in? If someone wants your car they are going to get it. That's why the tracker is a must have as well. At least you would get it back. For £50 the lock is an excellent deterrent. You can bet your average mugger doesn't have the tools or skills to get it off so you can hand the Porsche key over, don't mention the steering wheel lock, do a runner and call the rozzers and let them sort it out.

Stop Lock Pro gets a good review here. It resisted initial attack

Reviewed and Rated: Steering wheel locks | Hagerty UK

Last edited:

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
It's not that much hassle especially with comfort access since the car unlocks when you touch the driver door handle (or rear door handle if it's playing up and being awkward which is 50% of the time). You only need to get the steering wheel lock key out and unlock it and remove as you get in. It's not like you 1) get Porsche key out unlock car 2) put Porsche key away, 3) get steering wheel lock out and unlock. That would be a bit more tedious. But then are we musing over a first world problem spending an extra 10 secs getting a steering wheel lock key out, unlocking, removing and chucking on the back seat as you sit in? If someone wants your car they are going to get it. That's why the tracker is a must have as well. At least you would get it back. For £50 the lock is an excellent deterrent. You can bet your average mugger doesn't have the tools or skills to get it off so you can hand the Porsche key over, don't mention the steering wheel lock, do a runner and call the rozzers and let them sort it out.

Stop Lock Pro gets a good review here. It resisted initial attack

Reviewed and Rated: Steering wheel locks | Hagerty UK
I've ordered one anyway. I don't have comfort access on this car so might not use it but have got on the next one on order so would use on that one!
Sponsored