PostPoned - date TBD - [4th Annual Taycan Social Drive] - where should we go? TBD

Which Drive would you prefer?

• I'm sorry I can't make it - because you keep making bad choices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd like an other route please…

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Mountain House was closed when I arrived and then I noticed it opens at 5pm so take it off the plan.
Alice's restaurant is good but it might be too early for lunch depending on departure time. They also serve breakfast/brunch from 8am to 2pm.
Lunching at Pescadero is a good option too.
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I drove from Belmont to Pescadero today following the planned route (with a minor detour on Old La Honda dr)

Route details
  • 9:50am, SOC 90%: Departure from Belmont downtown (EA location)
  • 9:56am, SOC 88%: Arrived at Crystal Springs Mall. (This is the tentative start location if the EA stations are ready.)
  • 10:11am, S0C 81%: Arrived at Mountain House restaurant
  • 10:22am, SOC 80%: Arrived at Alice's restaurant
  • 11:07am, SOC 75%: Arrived at Pescadero center
  • 11:42am, SOC 67%: Arrived at Half Moon Bay downtown (EA location)
  • 12:00pm, SOC 63%: Arrived back at Belmont downtown (EA location)

Car charged back to 90% in about 20 mins
2020 4S with 20inch wheels, always on Sport mode. A/C was set at 66F (19 C) and fan at one bar. Exterior temperature on the mountain was average 65F.

There was almost no traffic besides a slow moving SUV on Skyline that slowed me down for a small part of the trip. I also made a small detour to drive through the Old La Honda Rd for a couple of miles which probably added a couple of minutes to the trip. That is a narrow single lane road full of turns.

Overall it should be about an an hour and 10 mins drive from Belmont downtown to Pescadero without counting any stops and about 15% of battery.
If you head north from Pescadero, the closest EA station is 35mins (8% battery) away at Half Moon Bay.

map.png

20210704_101149.jpg

20210704_103330.jpg

20210704_103029.jpg

20210704_103732.jpg

20210704_111009.jpg

20210704_110526.jpg
this is great recon work - I'm looking forward to it - I htink we can eat in Pescadero and then depart north & south after the drive - we'll adjust the starting point to a working charging location so we all have a chance to start out with good charge.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
this is great recon work - I'm looking forward to it - I htink we can eat in Pescadero and then depart north & south after the drive - we'll adjust the starting point to a working charging location so we all have a chance to start out with good charge.
I can scout the starting locations (Belmont, Hillsdale mall, Crystal Springs mall) a week before the trip so we can start from the one with most working chargers.

On a related note, charger #3 in Belmont was down for months. I have been calling EA every month for status update. Last week they fixed #3 and they disabled #2... It looks like that location cannot handle 3 chargers.
While I was on the phone with EA support for the Belmont location, I asked them about the status of Crystal Springs and their support said she could see they have assigned charger ids and in her words that is a sign that they are close to completion but she did not have an ETA.

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Track My Porsche estimates delivery of my long-awaited Taycan as Oct 22, 2021 — Looks like I'll probably miss this 4th social drive but count me in for the 5th one!

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I may try to drive up from SoCal for this, but as I already have trips the prior and following weekends, it would make for a very busy September. Would love to make it though.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
yes I know - since we’re not doing it until Sept. 16th I’m hoping it’s opened by then - but also I know there are other’s near by so we can adjust the start point - but yeah you are right - I picked a spot that is NOT yet in service.
The DeAnza station definitely won't be open by the 18th. I think whoever referred to this being installed but not active was confusing it with another site. They just fenced off the area to start construction on the chargers about four weeks ago, and just got the concrete pads in about two weeks ago. When they're available, the chargers will be on the Crystal Springs Road side of the Safeway building there.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The DeAnza station definitely won't be open by the 18th. I think whoever referred to this being installed but not active was confusing it with another site. They just fenced off the area to start construction on the chargers about four weeks ago, and just got the concrete pads in about two weeks ago. When they're available, the chargers will be on the Crystal Springs Road side of the Safeway building there.
Yes I also drove by Crystal Springs mall a few weeks ago and they were ready to pour the concrete pad for the transformers. There is no way it will be ready by Sep 18th.
The Belmont location always has 1/3 stations out of service and the other two are frequently taken by ID4s and Leafs and once in a while all the CCS chargers disappear from the Charging NA app..

That leaves the Hillsdale location (behind Bank of America) as the best starting point. It has 4 stations and they have been all working (checked on Monday). The mall opens after our departure time so we will probably get all 4 stations available.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Agreed. All 4 stations at the Hillsdale BofA were working Monday when I was there, though I will note that the station has been getting busier as more EVs appear on the scene. I saw three ID.4s, a Mustang Mach-e and a Taycan all there at the same time over this past weekend. The free holiday weekend charging probably didn't help.

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
Would love to join a future ride, once my Taycan arrives in a few weeks (fingers crossed). Looking forward to seeing some pics of the next ride.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
team - I've had an unexpected family issue come up so I will be unavailable this saturday for the drive - this of course doesn't prevent others from doing this but I will be unable to attend!!

have fun everyone!!
Sponsored