First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'76 Porsche 914, '21 Taycan 4S Carmine Red ordered
Country flag
Hey all,

I have seen lots of opinions from the forum on the aesthetics and need for the power charge port cover. I originally had it on my 4S build which locks in a few weeks.

I got this info from the Porsche factory rep:
The drag goes from 0.22 Cd to 0.25 Cd when using the electric doors because the motor and electronics take up the space normally reserved for the fender vent. I haven’t seen any data giving a value to how this affects range; probably because there are too many variables involved. It’s really “cool factor” versus ultimate range.

Here are the ranges for the Taycan's from the porsche website:
Taycan 4S with Performance Battery Plus – 227 miles
Taycan Turbo with Performance Battery Plus (standard) – 212 miles
Taycan Turbo S with Performance Battery Plus (standard) – 201 miles

Has anyone had reduced range as a factor on making a decision on whether to add it or remove it, and if you did have it and knew it cost you range would you order it again?

Jason
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Has anyone had reduced range as a factor on making a decision on whether to add it or remove it, and if you did have it and knew it cost you range would you order it again?
Very interesting. If the reduction in range is even 10 miles, I would not get it again; it's cool, but not that important.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I'd bet the tire widths on the models make more of a difference than those vents... Unless that "factory rep" is an engineer, I'd take anything corp types say with a grain of salt.
I agree that I would take it with a grain of salt. I am sure that my 21 inch Mission E rims have more impact than my power charge doors. on range. In the warm weather I get north of 270 miles range so I would order items again. And yes the power charge doors are pretty cool to use.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
My own opinion: I don't care about the range impact, it's a cool feature.
I'm sure every single option on the car has some impact on range by some miniscule amount, if nothing else than by just the weight of extra "stuff" in the car.
If I was that bothered about range I'd have bought a Model 3 LR!

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
Hey all,

I have seen lots of opinions from the forum on the aesthetics and need for the power charge port cover. I originally had it on my 4S build which locks in a few weeks.

The drag goes from 0.22 Cd to 0.25 Cd when using the electric doors because the motor and electronics take up the space normally reserved for the fender vent. I haven’t seen any data giving a value to how this affects range; probably because there are too many variables involved. It’s really “cool factor” versus ultimate range.

Jason
The difference in drag coefficient should only really affect range during highway driving, and I am also skeptical that it is a true figure (0.22 Cd to 0.25Cd reduction?). Tire/wheel size/rotational weight and speed/acceleration that you drive are far greater determinants of range in the real world. If range is a priority get the 19" "Aero" wheels, and drive really conservatively in terms of acceleration and speed on the highway. I have 21" wheels and drive my 4S "like I stole it" and range has not been a problem at all. I also have the power charge port cover and love how cool it looks and works. That was a free "option" from Tesla by the way.

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Hey all,

Jason
Something to consider - if you live in a place that has winter or rain, that thing will be permanently dirty. So you have to remember to open it from inside or get ready to get the hands dirty ;)

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about the drag or reduced range.
I have it but I would not buy it again. I personally don't think is worth the cost and the money is better spend in other features that you use/feel while driving like Sport+, PDCC, RWS, Electric sound, etc. Or maybe use the money to buy an EV charger or upgrade your electrical line.
Some members have reported the ports fail to open so it increases the risk of headaches.

Last edited:

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
"Taycan 4S with Performance Battery Plus – 227 miles
Taycan Turbo S with Performance Battery Plus (standard) – 201 miles"

The info I have from porsche is that the difference is mostly wheel size/style related (which is how the values adjusted slightly for 2021). I'm sure the port cover plays some part into it, but probably not huge. I didn't option it myself because it's just another thing that can break - but i wouldn't be surprised if it affects range by ~5% (10mi).

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
It's a silly option that adds more complexity to an already complex car, IMHO. The regular charge cover works just fine.
Second that!

Have read about quite some issues with electric covers failing to open + indeed an impact on range. The normal ones do the job perfectly.

OP
OP

jasonlaser

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'76 Porsche 914, '21 Taycan 4S Carmine Red ordered
Country flag
"Taycan 4S with Performance Battery Plus – 227 miles
Taycan Turbo S with Performance Battery Plus (standard) – 201 miles"

The info I have from porsche is that the difference is mostly wheel size/style related (which is how the values adjusted slightly for 2021). I'm sure the port cover plays some part into it, but probably not huge. I didn't option it myself because it's just another thing that can break - but i wouldn't be surprised if it affects range by ~5% (10mi).

Alex, Maybe I confused people with two different things when comparing models. I am trying to figure out how increased drag effects range, your 5% is as good a guess as any.

Jason

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Alex, Maybe I confused people with two different things when comparing models. I am trying to figure out how increased drag effects range, your 5% is as good a guess as any.

Jason
From this thread:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/which-wheels-and-why.3469/

I remember reading that the UK configurator shows you different range with different wheels. I think if you back out the wheels out of the equation, you might be able to figure out the range penalty of the port cover. To note, it's optional on the Turbo but standard on the Turbo S, so with everything else being equal, that might be a way to get to that number. I can't imagine it being more then 5% though.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This has been covered in another thread. The italic text below is directly from Porsche.

The car is more aerodynamic when the flaps are closed. I would bet the difference in aero between the different Taycan models is almost exclusively due to the wheels and tires.

Porsche Active Aerodynamics (PAA) thus offers several advantages at the front of the Taycan: When the cooling air flaps are closed, the system reduces drag and therefore increases range. When the flaps are open, PAA improves both the performance of the cooling system and the brakes at the same time. Control of the cooling air flaps is always demand-driven and depends on the driving mode, speed and cooling requirement.
Sponsored

Last edited: