Power Failure and has been at OPC for 7 days

Zee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Hi All. Car lost power at traffic lights and has been at OPC for 7days. Having contacted them to get updates, was told they are waiting for Germany. It's fair to say they are clueless what the problem is. They have provided a substandard, sluggish 420d as replacement, which I have suggested is not a good enough replacement for car especially when they dont know when I will get it back. I am in communication with Porsche GB since last thursday to try and upgrade their courtesy car, without much luck. What does everyone else think? Annoying when a car which costs 6 figures fails within 2months.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi All. Car lost power at traffic lights and has been at OPC for 7days. Having contacted them to get updates, was told they are waiting for Germany. It's fair to say they are clueless what the problem is. They have provided a substandard, sluggish 420d as replacement, which I have suggested is not a good enough replacement for car especially when they dont know when I will get it back. I am in communication with Porsche GB since last thursday to try and upgrade their courtesy car, without much luck. What does everyone else think? Annoying when a car which costs 6 figures fails within 2months.
This is most disconcerting, courtesy car aside.

There is something fundamentally wrong here not least with the lack of communication from Porsche as they must realise that there are many concerns out there.

Feels like they need to be putting contingency measures in place before they tarnish the brand further.

Were there any obvious signs that the car was about to fail?

OP
OP

Zee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
This is most disconcerting, courtesy car aside.

There is something fundamentally wrong here not least with the lack of communication from Porsche as they must realise that there are many concerns out there.

Feels like they need to be putting contingency measures in place before they tarnish the brand further.

Were there any obvious signs that the car was about to fail?
I agree with you with regards to contingency measures.
No signs before it cut power.

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Expensive cars are more likley to end up in shop than not. I don't understand why people think because a car is expensive it somehow makes it immune from breaking.

If you want a reliable car buy a Toyota camary.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Expensive cars are more likley to end up in shop than not. I don't understand why people think because a car is expensive it somehow makes it immune from breaking.

I am not expecting better reliability than Toyota. However, I am expecting at least as good or better after-sales customer service than Toyota and issues to be addressed in a timely fashion.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this was one of my early experiences with EV's - I got a Ford Focus EV - and it had some problems - given that EV's were "new" to Ford and a minority of their sales fleet - when I had problems the entire diagnostic/resolution process was elongated because:
  1. they lacked experience
  2. the product had defects
  3. limited trained technicians at ford service locations
    1. car would sit for days while they waited for "bobby" to have time to look at it - since he was the only one trained to do so
  4. constant requirements to "consult" the "mother ship" for most any issue - again causing delay's in diagnostics - bobby would find a problem, send an eMail to ford, it would take a day or two to get a response, and by then "bobby" had moved onto other car and it would take a day or two to get back to the next step on my vehicle…simple problems were taking 10 days to execute 3 or 4 diagnostic steps…
this lead to problems taking weeks to diagnose and resolve, which eventually trigged California's lemon law by triggering 30 days out of service clause…Ford bought the vehicle back from me as a lemon 90 days after I purchased it…

I decided to go with Tesla given my insight that they were "all in" with regards to EV's - every tech they had is EV certified, and every problem they deal with is a common problem to their "fleet" - and while my Tesla experience was far from flawless It was less frustrating because Tesla was more motivated to resolve problems because of their complete and 100% dependance on their EV fleet as their only product line…

I have to say about 18 months in the Taycan roll out is looking more like my experience with Ford than my experience with Tesla - and not in a good way.

new problems, limited experience, actual product defects in the fleet, limited technical resources, and constant stream of work from their existing non-EV business makes EV's 2nd class citizens in the legacy automotive eco-system…

Tesla has their share of issues and again they are not perfect - but my service experience was never horrible, un-necessarily delay'd, or lacked enthusiasm to actually resolve the problem, and they never "had no idea" what was going on…that doesn't mean. their product are flawless or perfect or don't have issues (short and land standing) but I never felt like my car was something "new/odd/different" vs. their normal business processes…and that underlying tension between old/new is present in the legacy automotive eco-system.

Elon had some deep understanding of this which is why he choose to ignore the existing dealer/service networks (pros and cons there) but you can't say Tesla lacks focus on resolving EV issues - since that the only type of product they work on.

ArieL

First Name
Arie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag

Hi Zee
Had the same malfunction, has now been at the dealer for 8 days. The dealer has contacted the factory, high voltage battery must be replaced. Will certainly take another 2 weeks.

RCTaycan4s+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Hi Zee, did you get an error report on your display screen just before or in the weeks leading up to this power failure, or did it just happen out of the blue. Also when you say lost power, did the car just die completely (all screens off) or were the display screens still on? Thanks for clarifying. Trying to figure out if it’s the same issue I am having.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
One other comparison to Tesla...if this were a Tesla forum, by now @Zee would’ve been branded as a troll or a “short” for the lack of his fanatical devotion to the brand.

I think it will be a refreshing experience to once again have a car forum that’s just about cars vs “cars with an agenda”.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I was coming to a stop at a traffic light when my car lost engine power and flashed the red 'circle of death' which said to park the car and call Porsche. I turned it off and restarted and everything was fine. I'm contacting them now and I'll report back.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was coming to a stop at a traffic light when my car lost engine power and flashed the red 'circle of death' which said to park the car and call Porsche. I turned it off and restarted and everything was fine. I'm contacting them now and I'll report back.
File an NHTSA complaint. There are more and more reports about vehicles stalling and that is very alarming. I hope Porsche will take it seriously.

Do you have a 2020 or 2021? Do you have WMA5/6?

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
File an NHTSA complaint. There are more and more reports about vehicles stalling and that is very alarming. I hope Porsche will take it seriously.

Do you have a 2020 or 2021? Do you have WMA5/6?
2020 with latest update installed.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I have to say about 18 months in the Taycan roll out is looking more like my experience with Ford than my experience with Tesla - and not in a good way.
My experience is the opposite - but I have learnt to be careful voicing it.

But I do not quite understand why these cars are compared. Your Taycan is easily twice as complex considering the features, options and multiple suppliers contributed.

I really appreciate that all this takes a little time for Porsche and all the PCs to make it work properly.

MarcS

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (19.11.20!), 350GLE
Country flag

Hi,
my car broke down on Friday! Parked the car and when I came back it lit up and told me its unsafe to drive and I should park the car. I just had the car back 3 weeks after 5 weeks in garage for battery range problems and they did the update. Had 150 miles range and it came back with 240 miles. So I was happy with that. Had to wait 3hrs for tow man. As well they tried to give me an E-Class which I did not accept and now they gave me (Enterprise) a Volvo XC90. But I couldn’t believe how the car looked when delivered. Does anybody would say this is clean?
Pics of fault and rental car
Porsche Taycan Power Failure and has been at OPC for 7 days 5714CFD4-C146-409B-9008-2D452B4254A2
Porsche Taycan Power Failure and has been at OPC for 7 days 41A41F24-B571-4FCF-844C-421C8A073924
Porsche Taycan Power Failure and has been at OPC for 7 days 8237F044-4B4B-4AA3-9612-39EF1A923ABA

Rex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan, 911 Turbo

taycan is unreliable
Sponsored