Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Just so I understand correctly, you saved $600 by getting the manual power port doors and now keep forgetting to close them?

Have you had a similar issue with remembering to close the fuel flap on ICE vehicles? I've owned ICE cars and trucks for 50 years and could count on one hand the number of times I've left a fuel door open. Personally, I don't see the difference so I'm hard wired to close the flap after "fueling". Still, sorry for your troubles.
Exactly, I never had a problem remembering to close a fuel flap door before, not gonna change now.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
when it works a definite yes however very embarrassing when you pull up for a charge and you spend 10 minutes trying to get it open and get laughed at so would I have that option again don’t think I would
I always press the button on the inside before I get out of the car. Wow factor for others, no dirty fingers for me, works all the time - worth the money.

Deleted member 1697

Just so I understand correctly, you saved $600 by getting the manual power port doors and now keep forgetting to close them?

Have you had a similar issue with remembering to close the fuel flap on ICE vehicles? I've owned ICE cars and trucks for 50 years and could count on one hand the number of times I've left a fuel door open. Personally, I don't see the difference so I'm hard wired to close the flap after "fueling". Still, sorry for your troubles.
no pb with ICE ... that's just with the cable you have to tidy in the trunk/frunk... 2 hands full... and then I forget

Deleted member 1697

Hey all,

I have seen lots of opinions from the forum on the aesthetics and need for the power charge port cover. I originally had it on my 4S build which locks in a few weeks.

I got this info from the Porsche factory rep:
The drag goes from 0.22 Cd to 0.25 Cd when using the electric doors because the motor and electronics take up the space normally reserved for the fender vent. I haven’t seen any data giving a value to how this affects range; probably because there are too many variables involved. It’s really “cool factor” versus ultimate range.

Here are the ranges for the Taycan's from the porsche website:
Taycan 4S with Performance Battery Plus – 227 miles
Taycan Turbo with Performance Battery Plus (standard) – 212 miles
Taycan Turbo S with Performance Battery Plus (standard) – 201 miles

Has anyone had reduced range as a factor on making a decision on whether to add it or remove it, and if you did have it and knew it cost you range would you order it again?

Jason

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I always press the button on the inside before I get out of the car. Wow factor for others, no dirty fingers for me, works all the time - worth the money.
They don't stay open long enough and you have to be ready with the charge cable to connect otherwise the door will close.

Biggest pain comes with DC charging. Invariably the additional flap doesn't spring back reliably and if you don't notice before docking the cable back to the charger the door will shut, automatically reopen and leave a nice charge port door impaired warning when you get in the car and drive off...as I did yesterday.

Apart from my own stupidly these are not well engineered or thought through.

Elsewhere there is a post for MY20 sensor recall.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I absolutely understand the convenience of not having to get out of the car to close a power port flap you've forgotten to close. What I find interesting is that folks are having difficulty remembering to close the door in the first place. We've had manual fuel doors or filler caps on ICE cars since the beginning of automotive time so I wonder why, for some, the closing habit hasn't carried over to EV's. Not a big deal, just a curiosity.
Could be due to the stupid location of the charge ports...why aren't they located as per ICE / hybrid to save the relearning!??

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
They don't stay open long enough and you have to be ready with the charge cable to connect otherwise the door will close.
I agree, this happened to me too, that the timeout of the flap is too short. But almost always it is enough time, to get out, and stick the cable in. Please Porsche, double the timeout for auto-close!

Biggest pain comes with DC charging. Invariably the additional flap doesn't spring back reliably and if you don't notice before docking the cable back to the charger the door will shut, automatically reopen and leave a nice charge port door impaired warning when you get in the car and drive off...as I did yesterday.
I see, I forgot the silly flap for the DC connector. The Chinese sockets don't have them. If I had one, I am sure by now would have ripped that nonsense out! Anybody has done it?

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Could be due to the stupid location of the charge ports...why aren't they located as per ICE / hybrid to save the relearning!??
They are in the same place on the front fender as the 911 fuel filler. It's probably why they put them there; kind of like putting the ignition button on the left side of the steering column.

Last edited:

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I know as does the Boxster. However, the Cayenne and Panamera hybrids don't.
Maybe it was a marketing decision based on trying to emulate the 911 and Boxster. Or maybe it was dictated by engineering considerations. I believe the Panamera and Cayenne hybrids have their smaller battery packs in the rear so a rear charge port makes sense for them, The fender mounted charge port may have worked out better for the Taycan's battery and electronics location; FWIW the charge port for the Audi e-Tron SUV is also on the front fender.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Maybe it was a marketing decision based on trying to emulate the 911 and Boxster. Or maybe it was dictated by engineering considerations. I believe the Panamera and Cayenne hybrids have their smaller battery packs in the rear so a rear charge port makes sense for them, The fender mounted charge port may have worked out better for the Taycan's battery and electronics location; FWIW the charge port for the Audi e-Tron SUV is also on the front fender.
I realise all that too but no one gave much consideration to the wider implications particularly when charging at public locations. In UK the cable length is not ideal given the length of the bonnet - can be a stretch plus from a safety point of view it is much safer to reverse into a space than not.

Total lack of real world thinking (again) is my point.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Talking about the length of the cable being too short on public stations, isn’t it more difficult to plug with a manual cover as it could be in the way?
In the video of Shmee, the cable is so short he had to move his car very close to the station and I was wondering if the manual cover would be in the way.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Talking about the length of the cable being too short on public stations, isn’t it more difficult to plug with a manual cover as it could be in the way?
In the video of Shmee, the cable is so short he had to move his car very close to the station and I was wondering if the manual cover would be in the way.
Nope, it extends out and up. Cable comes below.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
They are in the same place on the front fender as the 911 fuel filler. It's probably why they put them there; kind of like putting the ignition button on the left side of the steering column.
I prefer the charge ports on the front of the car. If you look at what is happening. You are entering a narrow space which is easier to do if you can go in front wards rather than backing in when the visibility is poor. Also might be a function of getting older and turning your head, plus the crappy rear camera in the car.
Sponsored