PPF details & Washing after Ceramic Xpel Fusion

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Hi All,
I finally got my car back from the ‘Detailer’ in New York. It was recommended by Xpel. Car looks wonderful - though I have a few questions.

I inspected the car and tried to make sure there were no areas I would later have issues with. A few issues I had were that the film was hand cut and some edges aren’t hidden. They explained to me why that’s the case. But I want to share here to see what you all think & if you’ve had similar issues. I’ve never had PPF on my car so I want to know if this is a bad job or this is how it’s usually done. I paid a premium to go with a really good company - so I don’t want to argue with them, unless I see better examples.

Edge:
They told me if they folded it inside, it would open up soon, so they have to cut it off. But I think they need to be straight ? and perhaps a bit closer to edge.

Headlight:
A cut on the headlight makes it look like a scratch but it’s a cut in the film, to bend in the shape of the headlight

Side Mirrors: This seems a bit precut, but the lower side of the mirrors aren’t a wrapped and you can clearly see the edges. They told me this is how they always do mirrors and there is no better way.

I’ll add pictures of the mirror and light tm.

Porsche Taycan PPF details & Washing after Ceramic Xpel Fusion 6FAB0A8A-FEA6-43F1-B127-3864475A9F52

Porsche Taycan PPF details & Washing after Ceramic Xpel Fusion D202A174-ED5A-4D25-BEE7-1F74E6C56F2F

Porsche Taycan PPF details & Washing after Ceramic Xpel Fusion 10FEF59E-8EEB-444D-A31F-BE8CF35D89EF

Porsche Taycan PPF details & Washing after Ceramic Xpel Fusion 8DDE6AFF-A47C-46BD-9F23-D21C1F681327

Porsche Taycan PPF details & Washing after Ceramic Xpel Fusion A15BCE09-A756-4D8D-8FF7-A68E6E1051C1

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Second, what are the suggestions regarding hand washing. How do I wash (best practice). Which products do I get. Does anyone recommend a process I can follow. I haven’t washed a car since I was a kid… & it was nothing fancy like a Porsche !

Are the electric pressure washers you recommend ?

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Second, what are the suggestions regarding hand washing. How do I wash (best practice). Which products do I get. Does anyone recommend a process I can follow. I haven’t washed a car since I was a kid… & it was nothing fancy like a Porsche !

Here's the technique and product I use. Very easy and beautiful results with the full PPF/ceramic surfaces on my Frozen Blue Metallic Taycan Turbo with gloss black trim.

Gentle, rinseless hand wash in garage, one bucket, one gallon distilled water in bucket, another gallon mixed as detail spray per instructions in linked article. Very Zen, very therapeutic and refreshing experience. I look forward to doing it biweekly to monthly.

Microfiber mitt and towels. I use a brush with long soft tip bristles on the glass and the textured plastic trim.

No pressure is required, and this allows the surface to be cleaned to a beautiful shine without possibility of damage or dulling. This avoids peeling the edges of the PPF.

Takes about half an hour, starting with the detail spray already mixed and in spray bottle. This includes cleaning the wheels to a beautiful shine, continuing with the same technique and materials. I use this microfiber tool for wiping inside the barrels of my Mission E wheels.

The results are professional quality, even though I have no prior experience with this high level of car care.

Last edited:

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Hi All,
I finally got my car back from the ‘Detailer’ in New York. It was recommended by Xpel. Car looks wonderful - though I have a few questions.

I inspected the car and tried to make sure there were no areas I would later have issues with. A few issues I had were that the film was hand cut and some edges aren’t hidden. They explained to me why that’s the case. But I want to share here to see what you all think & if you’ve had similar issues. I’ve never had PPF on my car so I want to know if this is a bad job or this is how it’s usually done. I paid a premium to go with a really good company - so I don’t want to argue with them, unless I see better examples.

Edge:
They told me if they folded it inside, it would open up soon, so they have to cut it off. But I think they need to be straight ? and perhaps a bit closer to edge.

Headlight:
A cut on the headlight makes it look like a scratch but it’s a cut in the film, to bend in the shape of the headlight

Side Mirrors: This seems a bit precut, but the lower side of the mirrors aren’t a wrapped and you can clearly see the edges. They told me this is how they always do mirrors and there is no better way.

6FAB0A8A-FEA6-43F1-B127-3864475A9F52.jpeg

D202A174-ED5A-4D25-BEE7-1F74E6C56F2F.jpeg

10FEF59E-8EEB-444D-A31F-BE8CF35D89EF.jpeg

8DDE6AFF-A47C-46BD-9F23-D21C1F681327.jpeg

A15BCE09-A756-4D8D-8FF7-A68E6E1051C1.jpeg
Mine is the same, they wrapped were they could - but certainly I have line where you do (I actually went and checked after seeing yours!). I'm actually okay with it, given that front bumper (fender) is the area most likely to get the damage - it'll make it easier to refresh later :)

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hi All,

Edge:

Headlight:

6FAB0A8A-FEA6-43F1-B127-3864475A9F52.jpeg

D202A174-ED5A-4D25-BEE7-1F74E6C56F2F.jpeg

10FEF59E-8EEB-444D-A31F-BE8CF35D89EF.jpeg

8DDE6AFF-A47C-46BD-9F23-D21C1F681327.jpeg

A15BCE09-A756-4D8D-8FF7-A68E6E1051C1.jpeg
This wrap is on par with other shops that do high quality wraps these days. No need to be concerned about that. The debates about how to wash your car can become as intense as what options to put on your Taycan. Bottom line is that you can hand wash or use a pressure washer to assist in the process. Note that the pressure washer isnt intended to blast dirt off of you car…..it assists in pre-rinsing, foaming and rinsing afterwards. Stay around 1000PSI with the washer and you wont have any trouble.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Have a look through the AmmoNYC YouTube channel for DIY wash tips. The power washer, you can grab the cheapest power washer you can find (compact too). With respect to the PPF, which "detailer" did you use? I'll PM you about details.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag

Optimum ONR and a big red sponge and some nice microfibers. For a pressure washer, great luck with Sunjoe.

STLLTH

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4; Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Aloha,

I've had my last three vehicles PPFd. The edging is normally cut that way if there isn't enough of a gap between the panels to tuck it underneath. That's why they can tuck your hood/trunk/doors, etc because they can get access to the underside to tuck it. Around the fenders, headlights, etc. they can get access so they cut it on the edge that way which is normal. What is not normal is the one photo where it looks like a blade scrape of the PPF, that is something you should have the installer address and replace.

As far as washing, depending on your home setup. I have a single family home with a driveway while some in urban areas have apartments and no easy access to a hose and space. I have the Obsessed Garage setup (Kranzle electric pressure washer, water filtration (Hawaiian tap water is one of the hardest in the country), foam gun, etc. I think in urban areas people tend to use the waterless car wash process mentioned in one of the prior posts. i would avoid using an automated car wash with the PPF over time it will probably start to peel.

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Aloha,

I've had my last three vehicles PPFd. The edging is normally cut that way if there isn't enough of a gap between the panels to tuck it underneath. That's why they can tuck your hood/trunk/doors, etc because they can get access to the underside to tuck it. Around the fenders, headlights, etc. they can get access so they cut it on the edge that way which is normal. What is not normal is the one photo where it looks like a blade scrape of the PPF, that is something you should have the installer address and replace.

As far as washing, depending on your home setup. I have a single family home with a driveway while some in urban areas have apartments and no easy access to a hose and space. I have the Obsessed Garage setup (Kranzle electric pressure washer, water filtration (Hawaiian tap water is one of the hardest in the country), foam gun, etc. I think in urban areas people tend to use the waterless car wash process mentioned in one of the prior posts. i would avoid using an automated car wash with the PPF over time it will probably start to peel.
Hi, thank you. which picture is the blade cut ? what should it have been cut with. What/how should have the detailer done this ?

jamesmason

First Name
James Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
porsche
Country flag

Hey maddie,
you should Xpel ultimate plus for paint protection film of your car or you should use ceramic pro a ceramic coating on your car to keep safe and good looking.

STLLTH

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4; Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Hi, thank you. which picture is the blade cut ? what should it have been cut with. What/how should have the detailer done this ?
I was referring to the second photo from the top. It could be just the reflection of the light but it appears to me like when they were trimming the film it scraped the edge. If that's the case I would ask the installer to look at it because over time it might start to peel and get debris under it. My wife has a white Model 3 with satin PPF and dirt tends to get underneath some of her edges over time so I use a product called Rapid Remover with a q-tip to get under it and remove it.
Sponsored