PPF options

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
I am doing a PEC LA delivery and then drive the car back home approximately 1000 miles. I intend to get PPF and ceramic coating done but probably need to bring the car back first. That got me thinking is the PPF option that porsche gives on the configuration tool good enough?
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am doing a PEC LA delivery and then drive the car back home approximately 1000 miles. I intend to get PPF and ceramic coating done but probably need to bring the car back first. That got me thinking is the PPF option that porsche gives on the configuration tool good enough?
I took delivery of Taycan at dealer and then drove it 100 miles to highly recommended PPF shop. That PPF shop gave me pieces of "track wrap" to cover the vulnerable parts of the car and protect it during the trip. The owner of the PPF shop had driven his new car from Florida to Ohio using track wrap to protect it. Find the best PPF installer you can, and if a journey is involved, talk to him about how to protect the car.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Waste of money doing a coating AND PPF. You should opt for something like STEK that already has it impregnating the film.

OP
OP

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
Porsche configuration tool has the option of ppf, anyone got that?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Anyone who doesn't select factory PPF and wants to protect their car en route to PPF installed can use the BTP method before transport. I did it on a Tesla.
Porsche Taycan PPF options 2019 delivery taped.JPG

OP
OP

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
That looks like an interesting option.
Anyone who doesn't select factory PPF and wants to protect their car en route to PPF installed can use the BTP method before transport. I did it on a Tesla.
2019 delivery taped.JPG
Looks like a lot of work? And who knows how the finicky sensors on the taycan will react to these :)

OP
OP

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
I’ve been contemplating it. I’m getting the LA delivery experience and was told the ppf install is done there at the center. They sent me this pdf
I was planning to get the STEK Dynoshield ppf, will need to research more on XPEL ultimate.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That looks like an interesting option.

Looks like a lot of work? And who knows how the finicky sensors on the taycan will react to these :)
Took me ~15 minutes.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was planning to get the STEK Dynoshield ppf, will need to research more on XPEL ultimate.
FWIW I used STEK on the Teslas and it was shitty after about a year. Xpel holds up better and seems to heal better as well.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
FWIW I used STEK on the Teslas and it was shitty after about a year. Xpel holds up better and seems to heal better as well.
Agree. Xpel has a great track record for quite a few years. I got 4 coats of Ceramic Pro and will be going back for my annual ceramic 'refresh' ($100) in the spring. I'm always a bit leery of something that tries to do two things well, and I can't believe a PPF with ceramic that will last 10 years. I also wonder what happens to the PPF after a while if it's got ceramic impregnated - will the ceramic degrade and affect the PPF?? I just played it safe and got Xpel ultimate and Ceramic Pro. The combo is really amazing. I haven't been able to wash my car for almost two months and it still looks terrific - really amazing.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agree. Xpel has a great track record for quite a few years. I got 4 coats of Ceramic Pro and will be going back for my annual ceramic 'refresh' ($100) in the spring. I'm always a bit leery of something that tries to do two things well, and I can't believe a PPF with ceramic that will last 10 years. I also wonder what happens to the PPF after a while if it's got ceramic impregnated - will the ceramic degrade and affect the PPF?? I just played it safe and got Xpel ultimate and Ceramic Pro. The combo is really amazing. I haven't been able to wash my car for almost two months and it still looks terrific - really amazing.
MY installer used GTECHNIQ HALO which is designed for films. Combo is amazing and keeps my cars looking great.

OP
OP

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
Thanks, this is good info. My ppf installer moved from Xpel to STEK and now exclusively does STEK. Looks like getting XPEL through Porsche configuration might be a good option then, assuming its a good installer
Sponsored