Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Will it be an international number we have to dail in or just a local number?
You know, the tariff are quite different...
Sponsored

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
Punched Cards.
Paper Tape if you subscribe to the AtHomeUpdate FoD.
...or was it Cassette Tapes?

A show of hands for anyone who actually loaded software into a computer via any or all of those methods... Anyone? Anyone other than me?!? And, no, doing it as part of a Civil War Re-enactments doesn’t count.
I once dropped my deck of punched cards while an engineering student. Oh sh**, what a mess!

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa, Taycan on order
Country flag
Used punch cards and had the recurring nightmare that I dropped the box and all my dissertation data spilled out onto the floor :oops:

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Used punch cards and had the recurring nightmare that I dropped the box and all my dissertation data spilled out onto the floor :oops:
Ooh, I can relate. When I was doing my senior honors thesis, I had to use a dataset that was on punch cards. I've never felt so nervous holding a stack of cards in my entire life. I was so relieved to have them out of my hands.

I'm not even really that old, but the data apparently was. :)

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Punched Cards.

A show of hands for anyone who actually loaded software into a computer via any or all of those methods... Anyone? Anyone other than me?!? And, no, doing it as part of a Civil War Re-enactments doesn’t count.
My first job was as programmer/operator of a NCR Century 100, second generation computer. It had a whopping 32k of RAM, expanded from the standard 16k ! This was rod-memory and flies caused “bugs”. We had to remove the panels and blow them away ! COBOL and FORTRAN programs input via punched cards were used. To startup the monster, you had to use a console full of switches and hexadecimal dials to manually insert a few zeros and ones in the appropriate memory addresses. As an interesting tidbit, it had an hours in use meter, for maintenance schedules ! Weekly tech visits on site !

AND WE ALL COMPLAIN ABOUT PCM NOT BEING USER FRIENDLY LOL !!!!

Learn more at http://www.thecorememory.com/html/ncr_century_100.html

E
Porsche Taycan Prediction: Next Firmware Release Update for Taycan: Week of November 9, 2020 A7341CBE-8FA0-4DC2-8A36-425C6DA8E798
Porsche Taycan Prediction: Next Firmware Release Update for Taycan: Week of November 9, 2020 709541FB-EB54-4C59-BD92-72FB582FA835

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Punched Cards.

Still have my IBM flowchart templates, my 132-column see-through ruler and a box of 5081 cards! I even have my 370 Assembler and COBOL instruction guides from EDS (back in the good old days!). I worked on every one of the BUNCH at one point in my career! Oh and a GE mainframe too.

BTW, does anyone here know what/who the "BUNCH" were?

Last edited:

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m in the club. Saved my TRS-80 programs to cassettes and walked my punch cards down to the NASA mainframe in the basement for my daily run.
Sponsored