evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Yes. A birthdate. A full name. Ok. Someone will steal my identity. Grrr. I was going to edit out the date... but then I’d have to blur the holes! :)
Blur the holes? (Mr "8Lb, 12oz baby"...) Nah, thats a lost art. None of todays computer folks would ever have the depth, tenacity, and patience to figure that out... :) Especially the folks stealing ID's. There's just so much more low hanging fruit!
Sponsored

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh... crap. Yeah. Maybe it was a PDP. MEH. Too long ago! AND GIT OFF MAH LAWN!!!
Give me my ball back first mister!

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m in the club. Saved my TRS-80 programs to cassettes and walked my punch cards down to the NASA mainframe in the basement for my daily run.
When I was working for "the government" my favorite use of punchcards (unpunched) was just for handwritten notes. Like Sticky Notes without the sticky (and well before them). You would find them stuck into all kinds of things (most non-punchcard related) all over my lab... Nice and durable... Easily handled... Easy to write on... Boss thinks I'm busy....

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I'm not.
HA! :)
I am not that old ! The problem was that it was an old model computer for which the family business paid $10,000 lease per month during 7 years plus it had to pay $300,000 down payment for import duties ! I started working on it in 1979 when I was 19 ! Now I am 60. Any of our iPhones is way more powerful than the behemoth that had one 600-line per minute printer, 32k of memory, four 4MB removable hard-drives, three vacuum-chamber 7 or 9 channel tape units, a telex-type input for batch control, perforated card reader and one huge air-conditioned room. There were programs which took us over 8 hours Of work to complete. It worked 24/7 to keep up with the workload.

glennkreisel

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, taycan turbo
Country flag
I am not that old ! The problem was that it was an old model computer for which the family business paid $10,000 lease per month during 7 years plus it had to pay $300,000 down payment for import duties ! I started working on it in 1979 when I was 19 ! Now I am 60. Any of our iPhones is way more powerful than the behemoth that had one 600-line per minute printer, 32k of memory, four 4MB removable hard-drives, three vacuum-chamber 7 or 9 channel tape units, a telex-type input for batch control, perforated card reader and one huge air-conditioned room. There were programs which took us over 8 hours Of work to complete. It worked 24/7 to keep up with the workload.
Oh gezzz you old geezers have gone off into the weeds :) lol lol lol .... hahahaha....

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ok - with all this reminiscing and reliving of our youth...I have a need to rewatch NetFlix's "Halt and Catch Fire" series. Those were fun days!

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
And, for some good computer history, read “Turing’s Cathedral”.

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
Thats exactly why we drew a diagonal line (or two) across one edge of the stack...
That’s certainly one way to help re-sort a helter skelter deck :like:

Denham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Punched Cards.
Paper Tape if you subscribe to the AtHomeUpdate FoD.
...or was it Cassette Tapes?

A show of hands for anyone who actually loaded software into a computer via any or all of those methods... Anyone? Anyone other than me?!? And, no, doing it as part of a Civil War Re-enactments doesn’t count.
All, including a cassette

kwrudy123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
All, including a cassette
I used a cassette tape on my Atari desktop in 1980 to load an accounting program. And in 1979 in my computer science programming class at The University of Texas, I used punch cards to enter a Basic and FORTRAN program into the university mainframe.
Sponsored