Previous panamera owners (or anyone) do you like the Taycan better?

Irv09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020; Panamera GTS; 911
Country flag
I did not find the 4S lacking compared to my Panamera TT when I took my test drive. I liked the build of the Turbo better. I think the 2021 Panamera will be quicker, but you will be in Taycan Turbo or Turbo S price range.
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Coming from 107,000 miles in a Panamera GTS, the Taycan Turbo S is in a completely different league. Better GT for long trips, looks are just killer and the driving feel and response is like nothing I've ever experienced.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Hello,
I currently own a 2018 Macan S and I was looking to switch my daily driver to a sedan sometime within the next year or so. I’ve driven the panamera, I think it handles very very well, it’s also pretty spacious and the looks are nice but I think the taycan looks better.
For those who own the Taycan and have been in the panamera before, do you think the Taycan is honestly better? How’s the charging and range? Is it able to do long trips? Does it handle as well as the panamera? Does the battery deteriorate over time? I don’t have any kids so the back seat room isn’t a deal breaker but I am a huge petrol head and not having a loud exhaust is a near deal breaker for me, but if the Taycan really is that good, I’ll think about giving it a try because it just looks so damn good- it’s truly a 4 door 911 and the interior is amazing as well. I plan on doing a test drive sometime soon but I have sat in a Taycan before when I was at the dealer. Any feedback helps, thanks.
I have a 2015 Macan Turbo & 2014 Panamera GTS. Getting rid of both for a Taycan Turbo coming in February or so. I have some reservations about charging being a pain but I'll figure it out. I test drove the 4S & it's definitely fast; on par with my two Porsches, both of which are 4 second 0-60 machines (the Macan Turbo has some mods).

While I debated over it a lot but ended up going with the Turbo for two reasons:

1. Options pricing. Full leather, PSCB brakes and PTV+ are included in the turbo. If you want those things, the price gap closes quickly. My 4S build was only $22k less than my turbo build and I should get around half of that back on resale.
2. "Testosterone poisoning", as my wife calls it. If I'm going to put up with EV hassles, I want it to be melt my face off fast. And the Turbo is. It's INSANELY fast.

Based in the price and HP gap, there WILL be a GTS model. Drive a 4S first. It's an awesome car. But if it leaves you wishing for just a little more and Turbo pricing makes you gag, consider waiting a few more months. I suspect the GTS will be announced early-to-mid next year and arrive by the end of the year as a 2022 model.

* If they have a Turbo S, drive it. And launch it. It's mind-blowing.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I had a Panamera 4E-hybrid Sport Turismo. The Panamera had a lot more room especially because I had the Sport Turismo version. In terms of luxury the are pretty similar. The Taycan feels more high tech, but really they are similar in terms of comfort options.

I quickly became annoyed with the hybrid tech. It didn't have enough power in all electric mode, so you felt like you were constantly driving real easy so it wouldn't kick on the gas engine. As a result I ended up running the gas motor way more than expected and didn't get the fuel economy I had hoped. On my 30 mile round trip commute I wasn't much better than a standard Panamera.

In terms of handling and Performance they are in a different league. The Taycan is way more sports car than luxury sedan. The Taycan is also way more Porsche. The Panamera really is more of an executive sedan with a sporty feel. You sit really high up, and have tons of comfort and luxury, but it feels enormous. The Taycan feels like you are sitting in a 911 with much better steering and handling characteristics, and the all electric powertrain (even in the 4S) makes it feel so much faster. Ignore the acceleration numbers when comparing the two. I bet a Taycan 4S would feel faster than a Panamera Turbo S under most circumstances.

If you regularly take long road trips and/or you aren't willing to put some time into learning about electric vehicles, then I would consider the Panamera over the Taycan. There are compromises to be made on long trips, and there is a learning curve to figure out all of the baggage that comes with an EV. But once you get used to it and figure it out, it's really hard to go back to an ICE vehicle.

At the end of the day the Panamera feels like the end of an era of ICE powered vehicles and the Taycan truly feels like 10 years in the future.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I bet a Taycan 4S would feel faster than a Panamera Turbo S under most circumstances.
I'm moving from a Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid to a Taycan 4S and I certainly think so – especially where it matters at lower speeds, pulling away from lights, overtaking on a country road.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I test drove a Panamera the year prior to buying a Taycan S. I really wasn't impressed with the Panamera for several reasons.

If we put the performance issues aside for now, I'd like to comment on the interior. There were switches literally everywhere, and each of them a dust collector. I had the feeling that each time a new feature was added someone had to add a switch to the console (upper, lower, right, left, overhead, etc.).

In spite of the fact that the Taycan PCM could be faster to boot up and has some first generation glitches, I simply love the clean user interface of the Taycan. The choices the designers made as to which control to make prominent meet my needs exactly (mostly true - still wish I had HomeLink buttons on the rearview mirror :confused:).

Now back to performance - The Taycan is so much better that you'll notice the difference immediately. I'd put the Car and Driver reviews aside at this point. If you want to love driving every time you get in the car you'll buy a Taycan.

Last edited:

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Hello,
I currently own a 2018 Macan S and I was looking to switch my daily driver to a sedan sometime within the next year or so. I’ve driven the panamera, I think it handles very very well, it’s also pretty spacious and the looks are nice but I think the taycan looks better.
For those who own the Taycan and have been in the panamera before, do you think the Taycan is honestly better? How’s the charging and range? Is it able to do long trips? Does it handle as well as the panamera? Does the battery deteriorate over time? I don’t have any kids so the back seat room isn’t a deal breaker but I am a huge petrol head and not having a loud exhaust is a near deal breaker for me, but if the Taycan really is that good, I’ll think about giving it a try because it just looks so damn good- it’s truly a 4 door 911 and the interior is amazing as well. I plan on doing a test drive sometime soon but I have sat in a Taycan before when I was at the dealer. Any feedback helps, thanks.
I remember some three years ago looking at a Tesla S as my next car, even my wife said “if you want a Tesla instead of the Macan, that’s fine”. Had our test drive and the auto pilot could have killed us ( I had to intervene), we decided the Tesla was not to be. Went away and called in at Porsche to do a comparison with the Panamera. I remember just sitting in it thinking how much better it was. After that the job was done, we just had to have the Panamera. Well, until I could get the Mission E. As much as we enjoyed the Panamera, and it’s a great car - that also had teething troubles - the Taycan is a completely different beast.

With some 2000 miles under the belt of our 4S I still find myself looking out of the window at it! And wanting to clean it every other day. . . There’s no going back ( not for me anyway) the Taycan is - flawed - but brilliant and if I change it, it will be for another Taycan. It’s that good.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I drove the Panamera today - it's still a really good car. The Taycan is different....superior in all ways except one, RANGE. The Taycan is more solid, no motor connected to mounts in the frame. Quieter, smoother, faster and overall more enjoyable to drive. The Panamera is larger, more comfortable for back seat passenger (kids). And the Hybrid Panamera gets 520+ mile range on one tank of fuel. So for "real" driving, long distance, the Panamera is more practical and a better long distance car. The Taycan is amazing and my favorite car I drive. Once Porsche figure out how to get 300+ mile range, the ICE game is over....for me.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Completely different things. Even though there’s only a 3 inch. discrepancy between them, it makes a world of difference. The former sits much lower and wider [and strangely shrinks around you the more time you spend in it] whereas the latter just always feels like a big car.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
I’ve owned 2 Panamera’s and tracked a few at Porsche Silverstone, something I can say with compete confidence is that the Taycan is a superior car.

My Taycan arrives in 4 weeks but my fiancé organised our Porsche dealer to let me borrow one for 2 days for my 30th. I was blown away.

The drive is vastly more engaging thanks to a great suspension setup and lower centre of gravity. The linear build in speed is refreshing after driving and owning several forced induction vehicles. I think what was most surprising was the range. I was told that I would have to recharge to make it back to Porsche, but I managed to do 220 miles in a Taycan turbo and it was still reading 35 miles left when I handed the keys back.

The electric sport sound - sensational. People keep attempting to say that it’s pointless and unnecessary. I don’t care, it’s awesome. I was driving through London and a majority of people would stop to look at the car or listen to it whoosh past. My only complaint is that you can’t default it to “on” in normal mode.
Also, I found the operating systems GUI a bit basic, even compared to the the Panamera’s. I think it was a conscious decision to make it simple but the PCM system in other Porsches feels a lot more slick.

Interior space is a lot better than I expected. Considering the car is smaller, there is more than adequate amount of space for adult sized passengers.

Finally, the car I drove had the 18 way sports seats that I also have optioned in my Taycan, after spending 6 hours in them, I was thinking I probably should have selected the 14 way comforts... Until I started bombing the car around rounds and realised I am grateful for the snug fit.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
My Taycan arrives in 4 weeks but my fiancé organised our Porsche dealer to let me borrow one for 2 days.
Two days worth of mileage on a new car. Surprised the dealer let that happen. Especially since it wasn’t to lure a buyer [you already have one on order.]

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just came from a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid... great car... decent sound with the sports exhaust, but the Taycan is way more sportier and way faster.... with the hybrid I'd babied the pedal to try to not kick on the cold engine, unless I'm in Sport /Sport+ to play, which in the city, if few and far in between. Now, with the Taycan, a little more push on the accelerator, and the car is going at a pretty good pace, especially up hills, where the Panamera on pure electric was so slow. The Panamera was still better than a pure ICE (couldn't get out of the loaner Macan S fast enough), the throttle response is so slow.
Sponsored